Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 DODGE 230 ENGINE R10 1954 PLYMOUTH TRANSMISSION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I have a guy who says he has a 1954 Plymouth transmission that has an O/D and will work on my 1953 Dodge 230 Flathead 6.

this would go in my 1933 Dodge DP 6. I am in search of an Overdrive Transmission
    OR
    Doing the t-5 swap.

any help is appreciated.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Maybe bump this thread to your other one ,,kinda like a build thread ,there was a lot of interest there.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It depends on what bellhousing is currently on your ‘53 Dodge engine. Stock Dodge bellhousing s thru ‘54 and are quite long because they were used with the semiautomatic trans and had to accommodate the fluid coupling and manual clutch. The Plymouth transmission will work with your Dodge 230 engine IF you also use a Plymouth bellhousing. Or, a bellhousing from any ‘55 thru ‘59 Flathead (Mopar) six.

The manual trans itself is the same between Plymouth, Dodge and DeSoto, the difference being in the input shaft length is much longer on the Dodge and DeSoto to make up for the ‘dead space’ in the bellhousing on full manual cars lacking the fluid coupling.

Scooterville likes this.
  4. hkestes

hkestes

You also have to consider that the 54 R10 will be a column shift whereas your 33 is a floor shift. You will either have to swap a column shift steering column in or build a floor shift conversion for the R10. Not impossible but it does take some work. I know that Moose has built a floor shift conversion for his A sedan with flathead Mopar so maybe he could give you some insight as to what is required.

5. derbydad276

derbydad276

just sell it to me problem solved