Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech: Simple rust removal with citric acid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lone Star Mopar, Jan 19, 2019.

1. I read on another thread about citric acid that you could use liquid dish soap to neutralize the citric acid. That is what I use after I clean the rust off with a nylon brush. Squirt some soap in a bucket, fill with water, rinse and wipe with an old wash cloth, rinse with water, dry and all is good. Some pieces I have used a metal wire brush on to remove the rust I had to put Gem Rust on, a phosphoric acid, to stop flash rust.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I could not recommend the use of any acid product on panels or items that have seams or joins in the construction.
    It would seem that it is almost impossible to get all residue of the acid out.
    It may look great and you feel satisfied that it is all gone, but just give it a few years and it will eventually start appearing in patches.
    I've seen this occur especially after acid treatment of windshield frames that were cleaned by chrome platers.
    I'm guessing they did not go to much trouble to neutralise their work, but it just never seems to completely wash out.

I would predict that once a panel has been acid damaged, it is highly likely that it is a throw away item after a prolonged acid attack has occurred.

3. I make up the baking soda solution, again 1 lb box to a spackle bucket size of water. I just swish the part in it for a few seconds or just leave it in for a minute or so if I have a basket of small parts.

I keep a Kitchen Aid plastic strainer with my acid dip containers. Old cat litter tubs with a lid are good to soak small parts in. I attach a wire to smaller parts and hang it over the container ledge so I don't have to put my hands in the solution.

Bugguts likes this.
  4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

im sure somebody already asked, I have a scwinn bike with lite to medium rust on wheels and other chrome parts ,handle bars etc., will this work on bike parts without destroying chrome?

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do this too. Works great.

No, it won't hurt chrome. Ok, maybe if you left it in for months, it might etch it a bit.

The active ingredients in molasses as far as rust removal is citric acid, so using pure citric acid makes more sense.

Yes, residual acid in seams and such is not good. But with thorough neutralizing and attention to detail, (pressure washer) there's no reason not to use this method.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Also, it will eat aluminum. I put an old Moon cap in my tank(just to see), and it started to dissolve instantly.

7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You just solved a a 48 year old mystery I've had. I left for a tropical vacation in Viet Nam in May of 1970 and return in May of 1971. I had just bought a 1929 ford 2 dr sedan that was in primer but had a newly chromed windshield frame. I left it in my parents garage with a light coating on wax on the face of the frame and when I got back, it was so rusted that it looked like it had been underwater the whole time. I could never figure out what happened.

Chebby belair, NashRodMan and fiftyv8 like this.
  8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Im sure what the chrome shop uses for an acid bath is far more potent than this. In fact this stuff is sold for making bath bombs, its that mild. I dont see any reason a soak in soda bathing wouldnt get in the seems just as the acid did, and in turn neutralize any residual. Don't over think it guys, the best way is order some and experiment for yourselves. Its rewarding and kind of fun to use once you realize the possibilities. Thanks for everyones input on the thread, I've learned some things myself. Thats what I like about the Hamb, the sharing of our collective knowledge makes this place a wealth of info.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Wondering if could give me the name of the place where you purchased the Citric Acid online.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us car crazy guy's
    Jimbo

10. I bought mine through Amazon. Quite a few vendors. Buy enough to get free shipping!

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@Jimbo17 I just went on ebay and search "powdered citric acid" and looked for the best price. The sticker on the bag says www.soapandthings.com I think it was about 16$ free shipping for this 5lb bag. Or If you dont do ebay Algoma56 said its available on Amazon as well. I've only ordered online, not sure of any local retailers.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A drilling fluid supplier will have it in 50 lb bags, if you have one local to you. Of course, if you know somone who works on a drilling rig...

13. Bugguts

Bugguts

I just ordered a 5 lb bag from EBay. $16 and free shipping. Going to give it a go as soon as it shows up this week. Sounds alot easier than media blasting every
    little part to remove surface rust.

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll love it, Bugguts. It leaves a very thin blackish residue that gets on stuff, but it comes off easily.

It's the only thing I would use on large flat sheet-metal panels that sandblasting can easily warp. Soda-blasting for removing only paint might be ok, but if you have rust and have to sandblast a '55/'56/'57 Chevy deck-lid, know that it can cause the middle portion of the leading edge to rise as much as 1/4" proud of the adjacent panel.

stillrunners likes this.
  15. Mahty

Mahty

16. Mahty

Mahty

I’ve been going through several different tests on my Caddy. Phosphoric Acid, molasses, vinegar, citric acid. I need something I can de-rust the roof, because it has that wormy looking rust in the bare steel, and without dipping or blasting. By far the citric acid has worked best. Just mix it up, soak a towel and lay it down for a little while, use a slow turning wire brush to work the rust, and clean any little pits. Clean with baking soda after all rust is gone. Tough spots may need a second application. The finer the wire brush the better. Keep it wet while using the brush. I still keep it out of seams, like drip rails and similar.
    I love EvapoRust, but the price, molasses worked well, but slow. Still a good choice for the guys not in a hurry, and I’ll bet it won’t affect paint from leaking out seams. Ospho has been my go to for 30 + years, but it’s more “work” to scrub rust pits with it, and getting it in seams is worrisome. I’ve personally never had a problem with it, but I clean the hell out of everything before paint.
    The ease of just laying a citric soaked towel down and it working was the best part. Just keep it wet. Too easy, as it doesn’t lose strength before the rust is gone.

17. Bugguts

Bugguts

Tried it on these seat brackets instead of media blasting. Totally sold on it. Super easy, no physical labor except a rinse and scrub with water. I left them soak 3 days and checked them once just to see if it was working. Definitely going to do this more now. 20190129_094755.jpeg 20190202_092333.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. flatout51

flatout51

Citric acid is so easy and cheap! These were brand new but sat outside on a car for years. 18hrs later. SmartSelect_20190223-202102_Instagram.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

\
    You don't remember the name of the place Stan? Thanks

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I had to trudge threw the snow in this beautiful storm we are having right now to get to the garage. It`s Terry. 402-676-7542. It`s by the water works plant, so I`ve been told.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. ricko1966

ricko1966

Wow. I've been doing ectrolisis for years but this looks like a really good alternative especially for stuff you can't just drop in a tank. Thanks

22. Sporty45

Sporty45

I just mixed up a batch and through a cylinder head with surface rust on it into a tub and dumped the mix in. It started to fizz fairly quick! But here's the rub, once I dumped the mix in it started to smell like rotten eggs. I didn't think this stuff was supposed to smell. Should I be leaving this outside? And do you cover it while it soaks, or leave it exposed?

Edit: it didn't smell when mixed, only when it came in contact with the head.

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I've always soaked my parts inside.

Sporty45 likes this.
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It eats aluminum, and will fizz as soon as it makes contact.

Sporty45 likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

26. evintho

evintho

stanlow69, I noticed in your post what looks like some rubber taillight gaskets. Does citric acid rejuvenate them and bring them somewhat back to life?

Scan0492.jpg

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Yes, somewhat. My batch is 3 years old now. Have a seat out of a 34 Ford in the tank now. Takes a little longer but still works.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. evintho

evintho

That's what I needed to hear. Thank you, sir!

stanlow69 likes this.
  29. I have noticed a smell now and then, probably a reaction with grease and grime. I leave mine outside in a covered container, lid on loose to keep squirrels from falling in. If you have little kids around, put something over it. After the batch is done (used up) I mix my rinse pail of baking soda in it and dump it down the storm drain in front of my house.

Sporty45 likes this.
  30. Sporty45

Sporty45

No young kids here, but it is loosely covered. I left it in the garage overnight without any issues, plus it doesn't smell as bad today. I cleaned as much oil and crud off as I could before soaking it, so I don't think it's from the oils and such, but the runners had a bit of carbon still in them. I'm wondering if it was from that?

bobss396 likes this.