Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearheadwelder, Feb 22, 2019.

1. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

Could someone help me out with a measurement, I need the size of the register hole off of an 8BA bellhousing.
    Thanks for helping
    Michael

Sent from my SM-T560NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Not sure I follow. 8bas use an intermediary bellhousing that bolts up to an early Ford trans. There is no register hole that fits into the front bearing retainer if that’s what you mean. I could be misunderstanding of course....

3. 63galaxie406

63galaxie406

Can’t give you a measurement right. I’m out of town. But if you are talking about a passenger car it is the same all the way up to 1964. Same bolt pattern for the transmission too.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They also use a stamped steel one in cars. I'd think that is the one he is looking for. The hole is going to match the OD of the bearing support on the trans where it goes though the hole with what ever clearance it needs.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is installed in my car so can't get a measurement. I know the OD of the input shaft support on the 66 top loader 4 speed measured 4.850 OD. I had the machine shop open the registration hole in my 8 BA stamped steel bell housing a .002" over that. Fit together nicely.

6. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

Maybe I called it wrong, it's the input shaft collar O.D. at the bearing / bellhousing fit.

7. gearheadwelder

gearheadwelder
    from CT.

That's what I needed to know. Thank you for the info.

8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER