Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hurst Indy 3 Speed parts and /or pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ricko1966, Feb 21, 2019.

1. ricko1966

ricko1966

I need pics of a hurst indy 3 speed mounted too a saginaw 3 speed transmission. I bought a N.O.S Indy 3 speed shifter with no mounting hardware or instructions,so if anyone has some parts awesome if someone has some pics so I can do some fabrication that would be a giant help as well. I have never seen one of these mounted. Thanks, the transmission is 1971 or 1972

2. egads

egads

Similar to this?

3. ricko1966

ricko1966

Similar but the indy 3 speed doesn't have any sort of mounting flange. Just a square box with the stick coming out the top and the shift levers coming out the bottom.But that did was still a help push comes.to shove I can weld angle iron to the front then Fab brackets like in the video.Thanks.

4. I have a brand new one in the box I will sell you.
    Hurst 3 speed.JPG
    Send me a PM.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'd try that, "world wide auto parts outlet", known as "E-Bay". If you can't fine the right, or workable parts there, you're most likely out of luck. If you post what your car/transmission is, we may be able to help more. I myself, have several NOS, complete Hurst shifters for the early Muncie 318/319 style transmissions; the 49-65 years.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. ricko1966

ricko1966

I have a brand new just purchased off of ebay hurst indy 3 speed shifter.But the mounting hardware and instructions are missing I am attempting to put this on a 1971 GM saginaw 3speed. Thank you

7. egads

egads

It look's like he made the mounting flange you see as a separate piece that goes around the "square box" for support ( not a bad idea ). This look's like the rest of it.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  8. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

banjeaux bob likes this.
  9. ricko1966

ricko1966

Awesome!! thank you guys. I think I can make something that will work now.

10. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

The transmission in the video appears to be a 58-64 GM 3 speed. The Saginaw 3 speeds I have used have had 3 or 4 mounting bosses cast in the tail shaft housing, to mount the shifter. ( similar to a Muncie or Saginaw four speed) Not all the bosses were tapped but not difficult to do. I had to make up a 1/4 or 3/8 plate and mount to the bosses with flat head bolts. The plate was drilled and tapped to mount the shifter body .

11. ricko1966

ricko1966

Thanks to all of you I think I can make this work now the advice,pics,and video have shown me what I need to know.Thanks Again. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the written rules about this forum.I have seen build threads that were spotlighted on stuff newer than 65 but someone got real worked up that I asked a question about a GM 10 bolt I wanted to put together for a 66 chevelle.His complaint wasn't even about the year,it was chevelle don't belong on here.I kinda thought this was a gathering spot for people that wanted to build old hot rods.All I could find about years and makes was what I copied and pasted into my signature.

12. The HAMB focuses on '64 and older hot rods and customs. If your car does not fit that definition, just don't post about it. You can still learn a lot here, there is a huge pool of knowledge and experience. Use the search function.

BTW, my avatar coupe has a Hurst Indy 3 speed shifter and I really like it. It was a factory option on the donor car the trans came from.

13. ricko1966

ricko1966

My question was about putting a a 1987 8.5 diff into a 1972 housing going into a 1966 Chevelle,so my mistake was saying what it was going into.Same question but going in a 1964 Chevelle would have been fine.Good to know.BTW I see lots of stuff even complete builds on stuff newer than 1964. Good for them ,old hotrods are old hotrods and a 1966 falcon is just as cool as a 1964 falcon.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Unfortunately, the carrier from an 8.5" rear won't fit into a housing meant for an 8.2; if that would work, it would sure make a lot of rear end changes easier. The 8.5 has the same sized pinion gear shaft as a 12 bolt passenger car; I say passenger car because those are also different than a truck 12 bolt. Course the ring gear diameter is obvious, 8.2 compared to 8.5. I see the Hurst Indy shifter comparable to a Spark-O-Matic, Mr. Gasket, Foxcraft, etc, all the "cheapy shifters". They were all designed to fit multiple brands, a universal shifter if you will. I personally would't use one; a Hurst Synchro-Loc or Mastershift is the way I'd go with a 3 speed transmission. However, I have lots of various parts for different shifters, and if you're missing something, I may be able to help, and I only charge for shipping; the parts are free if I have them. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. ricko1966

ricko1966

Thanks Butch sorry it's a 1972 8.5 housing, Buick A body,I just don't know if axle splines,bearings,etc.etc.all stayed consistent 1972-87 as for the shifter I have it,it's new just no brackets or linkage.Actually with the help you all have given my I'm pretty sure I can Fab brackets and shift rods.I appreciate there are better shifters and better transmissions.Thats in the future.I have been putting this project off for years upon years waiting for all the good stuff I want for it.New plan make it usable make it pretty and then start the upgrades.Thanks again.If Could trouble you for some pics here and there Is appreciate it.

16. ricko1966

ricko1966

1. Got the shifter figured out. Thanks to all. Had never seen one bolted up.Didn't understand how it was supposed to mount and not pivot since it only has one Bolt hole. I an posting my solution hoping it helps someone else. I have decided to make two brackets one bolted to the transmission, one bolted and dowelled to the shifter. Now by using two brackets I can Bolt my two brackets together with spacers in between them to adjust offset and can drill the brackets on center or off center, forward backwards canted and at any height I need to clear, floor pan, bench seat. And anything else that may be in my way. Shift rods I think I can fab with threaded rod ends and an old tie rod sleeve. Unless I come up with some shift rods in the mean time.

17. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

The brackets I PM'd you about include some shift rods.... these are all new parts, not some used junk I am trying to unload....

LynnW

18. ricko1966

ricko1966

I think something went wrong here.You said you'd send pics to my phone but I never got them. I'd love to not have to Fab more than necessary and didn't think you were trying to unload some junk I just wanted everyone to know I have a plan maybe more than one. I've had three people P.M. me saying they had brackets,shift rods etc. All have said they'd send pics but not one has,so I came up with a last ditch plan.I am sorry I didn't mean to insult you, just thought maybe you changed your mind, Were to busy,couldn't find them,etc.