Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 FORD GASSER BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lee Veinotte, Feb 6, 2019.

1. derbydad276

derbydad276

2. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

One small update. Axle will be here Tuesday so I wanted to get the front wheels and tires so I can locate everything for clearance. So here are my front runners. 15x5 American Racing and 26x7.50-15 M/T Sportsman Pros. Nothing special but they'll look right at home on the car. 20190214_153121.jpg

3. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

That's what I thought too. Plus they're in the states and wow. The dollar and the shipping would kill me. I'd have 2 grand in floor plans! Lol

loudbang likes this.
  4. As a gasser these cars look better without the front bumper.
    It would be a shame to mess with the Niagra front end.
    Really unique.
    Great project.
    The 429 is a great choice.
    Welcome to the HAMB.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Thanks! Glad to be here. Definitely going to leave the grill alone, like you said very unique. Its been painted white and the chrome is cooked underneath so it may get a very light silver paint. The bumpers are ok but I'd do them in the same treatment. I think i'll do away with the panel between the grill and bumper and tuck the bumper in tighter to the fender. May have to section and shorten it make it work.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Like your choice of wheels for sure. My 57 runs first gen Torque Thrust, same basic wheels.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 6sally6

6sally6

That green one really "speaks-to-me"! Straight axle but...not so nose high. 'Specially like that SOHC engine.
    6sally6

8. 6sally6

6sally6

Gravel pan.
    6sally6

9. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

That's the one.

10. 6sally6

6sally6

11.5:1 is pretty hefty compression for todays pissy gas but...there is hope!
    On the tear down you could smooth and polish the chambers....maybe unshroud the valves by opening the bores just a tad.....both of which remove metal and lower compression.
    Big overlap cam (tight LSA like 108*-110*) will give it a killer/gasser idle AND bleed off some compression at lower RPM's where detonation can hurt you.
    Block the heat risers in the intake...plenty big radiator with lower thermostat ...keep it cool to avoid detonation/pinging.
    PLENTY of ignition timing...may need a "hot-start button" for cranking when hot.
    Give the heat plenty of place to escape under the hood. Some type of cool-air induction.
    Lotsa places to keep one cool and make it live on pump gas.
    Aluminum heads and you would be golden!!
    6sally6

31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. RmK57

RmK57

If those are the old style trw flat tops with the single valve relief and a 90cc combustion chamber your compression shouldn't be anymore than 10.5 to 1, if that.

loudbang likes this.
  12. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Isn't this ethanol blend shit supposed to take quite a bit of compression?..I've seen claims of making in excess of 700 horsepower on E85 ( 15% ethanol)

loudbang likes this.
  13. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

I've got to pull a head and see what i've got for a piston. The motor was built 25 years ago and never started so I'd say they probably are the pistons you're referring to. Which is hopeful.

loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  14. AmishMike

AmishMike

If valves were adjusted & they sat for 25 years you better check spring pressure.

OahuEli, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  15. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Good point. Never thought of that

loudbang likes this.
  16. RmK57

RmK57

I used one of those online compression ratio calculators.
    4.39 bore
    3.59 stroke
    0 deck
    .041 gasket thickness
    90 cc combustion chamber

and come up with 9.89 to 1. Good old Chevron 94 would be perfect.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

So shes gotta have one wild pop up to make anymore than 10:1
    That's good, takes a load off wondering if this thing is gonna run decent on pump premium.

loudbang likes this.
  18. RmK57

RmK57

I have an old set of standard bore 429 SCJ pistons in my attic. When I get a chance I'll try and get trw part # as they were the supplier to Ford for those forged pistons.

The original 429 SCJ I had years ago had 11.3 to 1 , but it also had 73 cc chambers. It wasn't very happy on pump premium.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

That would be great! I'm going to get my front end/suspension/motor mounts and engine position mocked up before I tear the motor down to find out what i'm working with. Got my Speedway kit last night. The quality of everything looks great.

loudbang likes this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Mine would laugh at anything but BlueGas , AV Gasoline . Luckily I had a friend that was on the tanker , samples were saved in 5 gallon cans and when pump repairs were needed , excess straight into the Torino Cobra tank . When it was right you would understand the meaning of the title Super Cobra Jet .

OahuEli, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  21. The stock-ish 429 we ran in the stock car had domed pistons, no idea what the CR was but it made great low-end power off the corners. Looked up the CR, 10.9:1, small wonder it liked AV gas....

OahuEli, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  22. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Well didn't really get much done with the car this weekend but I did do some shop chores. Built a cart for my new mig, cleaned up, hooked up my little compressor. Very productive weekend getting everything ready to do some work on the car. 20190217_160707.jpg

23. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

Been making small progresses. Rear end out tonight. All the old lines are removed from the car. Got the very difficult to remove steering box/column out. What a poor design for removing the box. 20190222_203102.jpg 20190222_203037.jpg

mgtstumpy, loudbang and 1947knuck like this.
  24. Difficult to remove the steering box? You must have removed it through the inside instead of dropping it down and out.

25. Lee Veinotte

Lee Veinotte

I did yes. I'll be using a 525 Vega style box so I wasn't too worried about keeping the old one intact. It was very loose anyhow and at its max adjustment. Ended up pulling it apart and removing it that way.

loudbang likes this.
  26. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Good call on the front wheels you can’t go wrong with straight spoke torq thrusts. I’m Chevrolet til I croak but you got a neat car and some great plans for it. Big block and three pedals in a 57 Ford body gonna be a cool ride.

loudbang likes this.
  27. I could have helped ya out a bit with info but didn't know you were ready to pull the steering box yet.

28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The motorcycle jack is your best friend when doing axle work .

loudbang likes this.
  29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Did Hotroddonnie own that car at some point? Looks real familiar.

loudbang likes this.