Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm sure you'll think of something ;)

enloe, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  2. Maybe a screw blower. That would save a few hundred horsepower not having to turn the roots style blower. I'm not sure I want that look. It's like parking a small block Chevy on top of the engine. It would look way too modern for me. The dual mag has a modern look but it's done out of necessity.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    You ever want to stop in at Autozone and ask them for a distributor cap?

4. They actually carry them in their little performance area. Getting parts their is a joke. They go through the computer prompts then say there's no listing for a 498 hemi in a 1931 Chrysler. Are you sure you have the right engine and is that four wheel drive with ac or without ac?

5. HAAA! Thats the truth. And does it have ABS?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. Don't get me started down that road! Even something as simple as asking for 3" header collector gaskets turns into an ordeal. There are so few true parts counter guys with any knowledge these days. I'm just waiting for the self serve kiosks to start popping up at parts stores. At least then I can pull up the same info on there computer without the blank stair or dumb questions.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  7. I'm fortunate to have a real auto parts store close to my house. It's the last one around. Now it's all chain stores that dont stock a thing but can have it for tomorrow. The owner races a pro mod and understands the needs of the local racers and is always willing to help out.

8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Must be nice to have a good parts store close brian we have a good parts guy close but the store sucks but the one thing we do have goin for us is the main distribution warehouse is 70 miles away and if we order it by noon we have it by 3 pm so that's not bad but you are right these chain stores don't keep anything in stock on our way to meltdown a couple years ago my buddy's 57 chevy had an hei distributor that just give up the ghost and they couldn't even come up with a new distributor without ordering it we were halfway there so I just stuck the spare mag for my dragster it there and we went on

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

What’s a EFI mag? I’m not understanding the tech here. Is it now a mag in name only, functioning as a distributor?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Dave it was a real deal functioning 20 amp mag. All the guts were removed leaving a one of a kind shaft and bearings behind to spin the rotor. The fast efi box takes care of the timing. The spark could be sent to the plugs with a regular locked out distributor. The only problem with that is there is no base that's made to work with the dual drive. That's why I gutted a msd mag. It's a bolt on now. I cant say I have ever seen one before. Not one of the mag companies I spoke to have ever converted one. Just add it to the one off list on this car. So to answer the question it was a mag that's been converted to work with a efi system. It looks like a mag; attaches like a mag but wont produce it's own spark. You cant judge a book by its cover. Bring on the head scratchers this summer.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Ok, yeah. So without the magnets, it’s now just a distributor with no advance, in a mag case that fits where you need it to fit.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Correct. This set up should save alot of valuable time and fuel on drag week. I wont have to re engage the dual drive then re time the engine each time we switch to nitro. The set up driven off the cam was something I carried over from the 354 hemi. Stock they run the distributor in the back of the engine. There is no room for two distributors even if they made the parts to do it. The 426 style engine has a lot more options available. Im essentially doing what I was doing before just using different parts to make life easier. We hope to fire it up sometime this month.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You better patent that Brian!

14. Its nothing secret the parts are out there. It's just no one has tried to use them for a street car application.

15. I found a flyer on Facebook with the car on it. Visit the thread racing at George Ray's who's interested. Image-1.jpg

16. A pic of this flyer was sent to me today. There is a benefit car show for the boys and girls clubs of Hilton head South Carolina March 30th. For several years now my good friend Rob Iullo owner of land speed automotive has put this on. Rob was also one of the owners of radir wheel before he sold his interest to rich Conklin the other owner. I feel very fortunate to be able to live the hot rod racing life. When rob asked if I would come support the kids and show I said I will be there. The show attracts several hundred cars. There is alot to see and do on the island so if you are in the area stop by if you can. It will be alot of fun. When rob and rich get together they can provide hours of entertainment. There will be food and music all day. Some of the coolest cars on the east coast will be in attendance. I hope to see you there supporting the kids. View attachment 4197469

Attached Files:

17. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Brian, I just burned up some spare time skimming over your 117 page saga. You Sir are one hard core hot rodder. I have a stage 3 KB I use for land speed and street driving. 14-71/ dual Dominators on E85. We have seen many of the same things. I wanted to tell you I have successfully sealed copper head gaskets at each water and oil passage with a product called Yamabond. It's direct competitor Hondabond is essentially the same. I put a tiny bead around each fluid hole on each side of the gasket, but I have to work quickly before it sets up. I have about 1,000 miles on my wet sleeve block with no issues. Lots of RTV while installing the sleeves, but no, I can't service it at the track. I only used an old wet block because I couldn't afford the new street block KB has.

18. Welcome to the thread. I'm always amazed when I hear about someone reading the whole thread.
    I feel I made a mistake last year with the block. I figured because it was brand new and I had the paper work from kb saying the deck was checked I was ok to put it together. We did change sleeves. I'm not sure if this was the full cause of the deck having low spots. The sleeves were a few thousandths above deck. I should have put a straight edge on it and checked with some feeler gauges. Live and learn I guess. During the off season the engine was decked flat. We hope this takes care of the problem. It's hard to seal the deck when its .007 off. I'm familiar with the products you mentioned. From my experiences if the surfaces are flat the plain silicone is cheap and easy. I feel very fortunate to have a kb stage 10 block. If it was not for a very tragic event involving a friend I certainly would not have one. As you know they dont come cheap. Good luck with your car.

19. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I like what you've accomplished, we must be brothers of a different mother. I am the same age you are, and am originally from Dubuque. I have 2 friends that know Radar. It's hard to find people that are into this old Top Fuel stuff. You are so blessed to have had mentors that know the ropes, I've been largely going it alone. On the deck thing, my middle 2 sleeves on each bank have sunk a couple thousandths, but I'm still able to keep a seal. I think the steps that support them must be shearing slightly. I had the typical cracks between cylinders when I got the block, so we augered out the connecting material and I welded in 2" x 2" flat plates and had the sleeve holes re-cut. A lot to go through to salvage the thing. I use Dart dual plug heads, but only run one spark plug, and about 15 lbs. boost. Made 1128 HP.

20. Yamabond is very good stuff. A bit expensive, and it definitely has a shelf life once the tube is opened, but unlike regular silicone it doesn't leave 'strings' of sealer around joints. It 'flows' onto the adjacent surfaces instead. The only downside is it's a bit runny and won't fill big gaps (like end seals on intakes). I use it in lieu of gaskets a lot, and haven't had any sealing issues with it.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  21. La sleeve can make oversize outside diameter sleeves. The registers can be re bored to get the correct deck height. It's not uncommon to have this issue on a block that has seen some use. Sounds like a fun ride. I will be passing through Georgia at the end of March. I'm headed to Hilton head sc. If your in the area PM me.

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. The big day has come. Its registration day for drag week. Last year the event set a record selling out in five minutes. This year it sold out in four. It's a good thing my son is fast on the key board. I'm in to take another swing at drag week.

23. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Hooray! I know it’s tough on cars and people, good luck!

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  24. I will not be racing but I plan on flying up to watch the first couple days. Glad you got in again

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  25. thanks. stop by and introduce yourself.

26. Saxxon

Saxxon

This fat old Canadian came out of his hibernation to see what was happening in the HAMB world... the first thread I look for is this one... always entertaining and educational... Look forward to following you during Drag Week... not stalker following... but ... you know... keeping tabs sort of thing.

Hope to see you at Fall Out... might be the swan song for me and the Scout

Cheers

27. I appreciate all the support from the followers. It helps keep us going as we go through the week. It actually provides alot of motivation to work harder and keep going.

chryslerfan55, enloe, Gotgas and 2 others like this.
  28. rgdavid

rgdavid

Follower from france here...lol.
    For gasket stuff, ive been using for 2 stroke moters (which needs to be completly air tight) polyurathane "sikafix", its the same stuff used for windsceens,
    Silicone is crap with todays gas...just goes soft .
    Had good results up to now,
    If not..."CAF 3" is quite good, its a bit thick so fills in well.
    Keep up the good work. And make big noise !

29. Another country heard from. That makes about ten countries watching. Thanks for following along.

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Watching from Oregon country!

Blues4U likes this.