Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Pasadena Snow of 1949

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Pasadena Snow of 1949

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so rare for some, so common for others

loudbang likes this.
  3. Richard Head

Richard Head

The reason that 32 three window is so slick is because its a 34.

4. Ouch!

hotrodmano likes this.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

U Betcha! It be cool outside, the cows are huddling together,,,,

I have family in Sioux Falls at -45 degrees, they can have it....

6. toml24

toml24

Thunder and lighting and hard rain is forcing all people at the beaches of Los Angeles to take shelter at 10:52am Thursday.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My folks live just south of Sioux Falls, was -60 a few years ago. Don’t miss that at all, do miss having a ton of snow to do stupid stuff in cars haha.

8. HHRdash_13below.jpg When I lived in San Diego I remember seeing a photo of one of the San Diego downtown fountains frozen over. Don't remember the date tho.
    We have it cold enough here!

9. 2935ford

2935ford

Global warming!

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It seems I always have a funeral to go to on the coldest day of the year. Tuesday was no exception as it was a record breaker. They called off mail delivery for the whole state.

11. Dutch 1960

Dutch 1960

The area got snow in the spring of '82 as well. I was living there, people didn't think such a thing was possible.

12. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

124-7033-1.jpg

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello JB,
    Snow In Southern California and Orange County is a phenomenon linked to the whole area back in that year. It was well documented in those movies and newspapers/magazines. I was 5 and now, living in our first real house, after a couple of years of staying in a rented trailer for our first time in Long Beach. Our parents bought a Craftsman Style house in late 1948 and within a month, it was a surprise of all surprises. Our centrally located, old wall heater did the best job it could, but it was cold in all parts of the house.

So, one morning I woke up and looked outside of my window. The view was of the big yard, garage and bachelor living area (our own private play area inside). I could not see well, as the window was frosted over. So, I went to the front door and porch. The whole front yard, the big giant palm trees, the neighbor’s yard and all of our families’ cars were covered in snow. Snow in Long Beach? Wow, I had never seen snow before, except in magazines. This was my first and it was in our “New” house. Yippee!

This was a little kid, waking up everyone like it was Christmas. (Only, it was a month later.) My brother did not believe me when I told him, while he was huddled under the covers. My mom and dad, were sleepy eyed, but wanted to see what their smallest kid was excited about…snow...Ha! Not in Long Beach! Not in our own first real house! They opened the double French Doors to their bedroom leading out to the front porch area. They were sleepy, but now, wide eyed, amazed and laughing about the snow covering the whole yard/trees/cars.
    upload_2019-2-2_3-17-53.png
    Our front porch and to the right, the front door. To the far left, the double French Doors leading to
    our parent’s bedroom.
    upload_2019-2-2_3-18-42.png Our front yard with a picket fence and my dad’s 41 Buick Fastback parked on the street under those huge palm trees.

Jnaki

My dad did not have time to break out and set up the 4x5 Graflex Camera, as there were no 1949 snowy photos in all of our albums. There were other snow photos in the mid-50s, but that was in Big Bear and everyone has those kinds of snow/family photos. Of course, we had the two brothers’ snow fights and we made the requisite snowmen with broomsticks. But, it did not last too long, being So Cal and its mild climate.

The 70 year old movie ties in nicely with So Cal history and your upcoming trip. Take care in that -5 degree snow. Sure glad we live in shorts and T-shirt climate, So Cal. Our extended family in the Midwest longs to be back in So Cal, just because of the weather. Even our freezer is not in the minus degree scenario ! Yikes…

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Snowed several times in Inland Empire through out the years.
    And it snows in the Corona Hills almost every year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hey R,

We were 3.5 miles from the ocean, but since it snowed in our front yard and everything all around, I am sure it did snow on the shoreline in Long Beach, CA. We just did not have enough time to drive to the shoreline. Behind our Westside Long Beach house in 1949, the Terminal Island Freeway looked like a snowed-in airport runway.

Here are some articles about those unusual weather patterns along the coastal plains and mountains in So Cal. The San Diego story was in 1967.

Jnaki

It was a 1949 phenomenon I remember well. It was my first recollection of snow that is still on the memory banks. When we were very little, up in Newell, CA, there was snow and plenty of it, but that remains a blank in the memory banks. That time period was well documented in most magazines and early photos. (my mom used to tell us about the heavy snow on the big plateau nearby, the constant cold and little to no insulation in the living areas.)

SNOW IN COASTAL SO CAL?

upload_2019-2-2_5-35-41.png It does and it did in 1932. But, of course, that was way before our time in So Cal. Our dad was around going to college and mentioned it once or twice…But for us, those days were like black holes…information in and gone in a second. Photo taken at UCLA in 1932…KCET

Previous post:
    In looking back to all of those years when we would go up to the snowy local mountain areas after a coastal, So Cal winter rainfall, there is/was a question that lingers: Does it snow in the So Cal beach areas? Ever? Like on the Eastern Seaboard? The West Coast of the California is relatively a warm desert climate most of the year from below the mid-valley areas. If it wasn’t for imported water from Arizona and Northern California, it would be almost like the Death Valley Area down in the Los Angeles to Orange County cities. So, the warm climate AND water make it a nice area to live and grow up. But, the stories continue with the question: Does it snow in coastal, So Cal?
    upload_2019-2-2_5-37-28.png Feb 21, 1944 City Hall building in downtown Los Angeles

But, as far as our own history in So Cal is concerned, I remember a “once in a lifetime” SNOW covering our front lawn of our Westside Craftsman house in 1949. It was a miracle as far as we were concerned. We had just moved here several months ago from our first Long Beach abode. This was our first real house. Of course, little snowmen popped up all over our yard and covered front porch. Since it was a surprise to everyone in So Cal, it was well documented with old photos.

Jnaki

My dad must have taken some photos of the snow with his huge Graflex 4x5 Camera, but we have yet to discover those snow shots, in the photo archives we have searched. But, as you photo buffs know, it was not a point and shoot camera, but took a while to completely set up, including those popping out, flash bulbs.

DOCUMENTED SNOW DAYS IN SO CAL:
    upload_2019-2-2_5-39-1.png Irvine, CA 1949
    “Early one January, in 1949, heavy snow blanketed Southern California, surprising locals with the strangest weather the area has ever faced. The snowfall began on the evening of January 10, after a long rain spell in the midst of a wave of bitter cold. Over the next two days, the temperature averaged between 20 to 25 degrees throughout Orange County.”

“An overall average of two inches of snow hit, with greater concentrations in the Santa Ana Mountains and other elevated areas. Silverado reported depths of snow reaching over six inches. Irvine Ranch reached four inches of snow as the flatter areas of Orange, Tustin and Irvine all reached three inches on January 11.”

upload_2019-2-2_5-39-36.png LAGUNA BEACH 1949
    "This photo was taken by Marie Ayres of her new home at the intersection of San Remo Dr. and Temple Hills Dr. The date was Jan. 11, 1949. Marie built her home with her war widows pension and worked as the night auditor at the Hotel Laguna for some time. As her new home was above the highest water tank in town she would have to stop on her way home and turn on the pump to her house if she wanted to take a bath."

"She later married Tommy Ayres who owned the Chevy dealership in Laguna. For people who think this photo is a fake, notice Catalina in the background. The home is still there but no longer painted yellow."

“The hillsides of San Clemente, Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach were frosty white and local roads were closed due to slick roads and traffic accidents. Strangely enough, north OC beach communities, including Huntington Beach, reported warm coastal waters. Some locals flocked to the beach for a swim.”

“But for the children, it was like a second Christmas. Most public schools were closed. The snow melted away after January 13, as a sporadic rainfall brought things back to normal and the rare January Snowstorm of 1949 faded into memory.”

DEC. 13, 1967
    The day it snowed in San Diego

One last day that we missed: Up the coast (100+ miles) where we were going to school at Long Beach State College, it was very cold and cloudy. But, the storm system must have been too low in the weather track and hit San Diego, instead. (As the California/Pacific Ocean generated, storm systems go.) Then it is onto Arizona and continues to take the Eastward track.

If this phenomenon was in the Midwest or East, it would have been put off as a normal occurrence. But, it was in mild, usually sunny, Southern So Cal, along the ocean shoreline.
    upload_2019-2-2_5-40-24.png
    "The warming influence of the Pacific Ocean keeps the weather of San Diego relatively consistent throughout the year, with temperatures rarely dropping low enough to even support the white stuff."

But, it did, surprise, surprise.

Ron Funkhouser and LBCD like this.
  16. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I saw it snow in Tucson Arizona in the early seventies. With the added moisture the desert bloom was spectacular.
    Fossil fuels to the rescue once again this past week in the mid west.

17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it did certainly snow in Pasadena, California 1949. These pictures were taken 1/11/1949 in my Dad's driveway in Pasadena. The bottom picture shows the same driveway except obviously on a better day!;)

Scan0003.jpg Scan0005.jpg Scan0006.jpg

jnaki and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Doh-- I wrote this post nursing a stomach flu, so I blame the fever!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Global warming doesn't mean that it doesn't get cold, but that the storms get more severe and the average temperature demonstrates warming.

13clicks likes this.
  20. 13clicks

13clicks

Or it could be better termed as climate change... some simple minded people in the U.S. government think its just about the weather getting warmer only.

21. Funny those good rear truck lids were hard to find even back then.

22. Your post brings to mind something similar... I just had my 70th B Day 2-16-49... What's so strange about it... I was born in Pasadena... Within 30 days of the "Big Chill"... JUST SAYIN'

woodiemike likes this.
  23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My wife is an Orange County native (El Monte High, Class of '76), but she has lived in the Rockies now for 40 years. I have only been here since '99, but I have seen it snow, and accumulate, every freakin' month of the year here. She just tripped out on the pics from '49.

24. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

jnaki and s55mercury66 like this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-2-24_4-27-12.png
    coastal vs inland...mini coastal hail storm 2019
    Hello,

So Cal has access to two ranges of mountains. The inland area is close to the Angeles National Forest and the San Bernardino Mountains. We in South Orange County constantly look at the huge Santa Ana Mountain Range (Cleveland National Forest) with a definite Saddleback Peak. For some, it looms in their backyard. For others, it is a backdrop to the wide open Orange/Riverside counties. The climate range is very different.

We coastal folks have to live with what we get in the way of storms. If it hails for 5 minutes in San Clemente, then it snows on top of Saddleback Mountains (Santiago Peak). But, this short time of hail during the past storm where we are, made tons of snow in that whole inland region near the prominent mountain. If your wife went to El Monte, there was snow everywhere, just behind that region. She would have been as close to the big mountain range as it gets.

My son said Pasadena had similar weather with close access to the snow. He liked the cold weather, but opted for the cool coastal climate, instead. (In the Santa Monica/Malibu Coastal area, they got a flurry of snow as noted on tons of media.) This snow flurry on the coast was as exciting as a snow storm gets in the recent times. It is by no means, comparable to elsewhere in the USA and it definitely does not compare to 1949...but we take what we get.

It hailed in San Clemente for about 15 minutes back in 2017, enough to make a “Hailman” , but this time, it was only for 5 minutes, for the mini hail of 2019.
    upload_2019-2-24_4-29-25.png 2017
    Almost every two years this guy appears on the back door..."Who's that knocking at my door?" (sing along....)

Jnaki

After the this recent storm, we ventured out to the store. There was only an old 55-57 Chevy pickup truck as far as old cars were concerned. If that truck were to be outside in the Santiago Canyon area near Santiago Peak, the pickup bed would have been filled with snow. In So Cal of all places!!!
    upload_2019-2-24_4-31-54.png (NOTE: in one day, the local snow covered peaks were without the snow. It is still cold in THE OC, but, it is hard to compete with the sun.)