Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Celebrities

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 22, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The Celebrities

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Your 'art' is getting better every-time.
    For me, I think it improves my photography, makes me slow down back to the time I was worried about every shot.

J.Ukrop and HEMI32 like this.
  3. @J.Ukrop -

@typo41 already "stole my thunder" ^^^ ... but I will add that I really dig your "soft focused" snapshots ... They give a whole different vibe / feeling to coverage of the GNRS event ... Thanks for sharing them with us!

Special Ed and J.Ukrop like this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Speaking of the "celebrities" in the "Model A Room" ...

For those of us that were unable to attend the 2019 GNRS, I found Thom Taylor's video interviews (for The Rodder's Journal Facebook page) very entertaining & informative.

Here's Thom's interview with @Karpo Merkajanian and @Boolajosh's father, Brian Bauer (i.e., the organizers of the room):

... with @Pete Eastwood (about Mark Morton's "RODZY"):

... with Rich Guasco:

... with Al Teague:

... with Jerry Kugel:

... with Jim "Jake" Jacobs & Dan Woods:

... with Jack Chrisman's daughter:

... with Vincent Weatherby (current owner of Dick King's '51 AMBR contender):

... with Blackie Gejeian's grandkids (about the '58-'59 & the '60 AMBR winner):

... and with Jerry Woodward's sons (about their father's '57 AMBR winner):

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice piece. I think I'd feel the same way as you did, walking into a collection like that.
    Film photography and a max of 36 exposures per roll of film, makes you a little more picky about what you snap doesn't it? Just a tip, and you may already know this, but if you have extra rolls of that outdated color film store 'em in the refrigerator. They'll keep for a long time that way - the color sensitivity doesn't seem to degrade as badly.
    Thanks for sharing your perspective!

J.Ukrop and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

But with his Jalopy Journal expense account,, he should have a unlimited supply of out dated film.:rolleyes:

J.Ukrop and TerrytheK like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@HEMI32 thanks for the direct links!

My jaw hit the floor every time I saw new photos being posted of the model A’s. I don’t even know what I’d do walking into a crowd like that.

Walking out and back in May have made the list.

Thanks for the coverage :)

J.Ukrop, 26hotrod and HEMI32 like this.
  9. How could you not be awe struck, seeing so many iconic & historic hot rods in one place, Being a hot rod guy if the site of all these significant cars don't quicken your pulse you need to see a doctor, you got problems. HRP

J.Ukrop, 26hotrod and pprather like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I sure miss the Roadster Show being 20 miles away.:( with that said, you don't need the hassle and expense of film to take poor photos, you can do all that on the computer with your digital pics.;)

J.Ukrop and 26hotrod like this.
  11. Joey........you gotta get a hot rod of your own, man.

J.Ukrop, catdad49 and Tim like this.
  12. I just spent the last couple of hours watching the TJ videos and I can see why you were in heaven, The Model A finally got the credit which is long past due, I love the Deuce but cut my teeth on model A's and this just makes me want one again. HRP

J.Ukrop, 26hotrod and HEMI32 like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff. I fully understand the feeling as that same feeling hit me when walked around a rig at Pismo Beach at Trog and there was Gray Baskerville's (SP?) deuce roadster sitting there. Another guy and I were taking photos like crazy and his buddy didn't quite understand our combined excitement over the car until the guy took the time to tell his buddy just why were excited over the old red roadster with primer spots. I'm not sure he got it but it was one of the high points of the day with a lot of high points.

HOTRODPRIMER and 26hotrod like this.
  14. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Best videos of Pwood&Jim Jacobs I have ever seen. I especially liked the way Pwood explaned the way he cut the 32 frame on rodzy the 29 roadster. I think it's the same way he cut the one on my 26 coupe. This is awsum and thanks so much for all the post. WOW!!!!!!!

15. I have been fortunate enough to meet some of the icons in the world of hot rods but Gray was at the top of the list, I talked with him less than 20 minutes and it was like we had been friends for years. HRP

16. Cool photos Joey. There is a realness to them, they have life/soul not sterile like digital photos can be.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing those @J.Ukrop. Definately a group of premium stock to be zeroed in on and captured on the same medium of the days of their biggest triumphs.

Whether its cleaned up in a room at a show or in a barn or garage the effect on those that understand such things can be very surreal and memorable...

Heck I get that way seeing vintage pics posted here by some of the members...perhaps not decorated as some of the iconic rides you saw but still evoking an inner feeling of almost being whipped back in time for a moment.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  18. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

J.Ukrop, catdad49, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  19. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perks! ;)

J.Ukrop likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

That happened to me when I went to the Hot Rod magazine 70th birthday gig last November....

great pics, btw!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought it was the best building there.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. IronTrap

IronTrap

I spent 99% of my time in that building and only hit the others mainly to visit friends. There was an aura in that building that was incredible. So glad I was able to experience it this year. Great snaps BTW!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Priceless interviews.....thanks!

24. catdad49

catdad49

You continue to put your own touch on each subject and I always look forward to them. Been reading hot rod mags for longer than I care to remember and there are just a few writers that always brought a special feeling to their work. Not going to name names, but you have always made me feel this way. Like yourself (probably even more so) I would have been in awe of The Model A exhibit and would have found it hard to see the rest. Thanks for sharing the passion with your words and photos, Carp.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The Model A display was a spectacular few days in hot rodding history that I will always remember. You'll be happy to know that I have some new (old) developments happening on the film front, so there's hopefully going to be more of it here on the Jalopy Journal. Stay tuned!

Tim and Jimmy B like this.
  26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy crap ! This was a trip down HotRod lane featuring some of the most iconic builders and drivers in existence. Thank you, Thom Taylor, for the experience. Oh, I can't forget Joey Ukrop.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-2_4-5-9.png GNRS 2019

Hello,

Film camera photos are/were the most fun back in those "photographer" days. A 35mm Asahi Pentax for Ektachrome color slides on one shoulder and another Honeywell Pentax on the other. The Honeywell was cross strapped loaded with Plus-X or Tri-X for those myriad of photos to show a car in all sorts of angles and details. Those were the days. The problem back then was…storage of the film cannisters in a dark camera bag, out of the sun and heat for the next several days. As we finished the photo shoot assignment and continued on our extended vacation road trips, keeping those canisters was a problem.

Oh yeah, then it was waiting for a week to get the color slides developed and ready for presentation. The excitement was enhanced with the home darkroom development of the tons of B/W films in those sleek stainless steel developing reels and cans. Those were done upon arrival at home to get the stories ready for a magazine layout showing. Even the myriad of B/W film canisters still had to be kept away from the heat/sun and dust until we were able to get back to So Cal from the photo shoots.

Jnaki

Those were the days. Your assignment at the GNRS was very cool. The added pluses were the film photos from your old camera. I still have my last attachment to those film photographer days as it was winding downward and beginning to enjoy the simplicity of digital cameras. But, I hear the constant hum drum of a voice from across the room that says… “If you haven't used anything for over a year, out it goes…”

The last NEW Canon AE2 35mm camera with color film is still inside of a leather camera bag. Sitting within an unused Tenba adjustable Photo Backpack for camera use and portability. There are plenty of New Canon and other lenses that are still new, but older and unused…a 300mm f2.8 Tokina Auto Telephoto Lens, various extenders to make a longer telephoto lens usage easier. Offers?

J.Ukrop and Ron Funkhouser like this.