Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Chevy gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neal 136, Feb 21, 2019.

1. neal 136

neal 136

Building a 50 Chevy coupe gasser. I’m looking to make this just like a true gasser 64/65 era.what front end were they using at the time ?Dont want a mile high front end. Looking for ideas on what to use in the front end . This car will be run at the track .gonna be a small block Chevy stick car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If you are not going for that sky high look then a beam or round tube "dropped" axle is all there is in my opinion, assuming no independant front suspension, it has a lot to do with spring pack/rate and mounting.
    So glad you are bucking the trend!
    1970, high school mate had a 49coupe with a legit 365 hp 327, yes, it was out of a Corvette, bolted to a B&M 4 speed hydro, Olds rearend, IIRC it had a Ford Econoline axle, man that thing could fly STRAIGHT, was scary turning at speed, don't recall the rest of the front components but I only rode in it once.
    By the way, extra points for going with a 4 speed (I assume).

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My 51 Business Coupe (should NOT have sold that car!), had the front suspension blocked up with 2 inch spacers (16 of them with longer grade 8 bolts/nuts), and NOT the traditional I-beam that was often used. After raising it up, we side plated the inner aspect of the suspension cradle to the frame, and welded it in with 1 inch long weld beads (so it could be removed fairly easily/and the new owner did just that). Then, use a slightly smaller tire, like what would be used on a VW Bug, to help with the "illusion" of being lifted more. The ride will still be pretty similar to stock, and not change lanes when hitting a pebble in the road. The rear end was raised a similar amount with coil wrapped overload shocks, and they were't really too harsh either. It was a "Street Gasser" car, and now it's a low rider/cruiser (yuk!!!). And along with DDD, I wanted a 4 speed, but the nephew wanted a transamatic automission, and we were building the car for him. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. What @56sedandelivery just said.

This is how a lot of the earlier chevies with bolt in front cross members were done. Not everything had a solid axle and leaf springs.

This is a very easy job and gets you down the road with the right look as well.

5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Google Gene Schwartz gasser. You will get a lot of pics of his reincarnation he built about 10 years ago that has a lot of off topic updates but you will also see his original 1965 nhra record holder before it was destroyed in a towing accident in 1966. The new car has a similar axle set up like the original. If it is a Econoline it would have been a new set up for the time since that car had that set up back at least to 1963. Some guys where using the Willys front axle as well. A friend used a 38 Chevy a few years back and converted it to disc brakes to get rid of the 6 bolt wheels. A 50's Chevy truck axle could be used to. Larry

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  6. RDR

RDR

my fleetline in 1962...Olds powered C/G, cad 3 speed, Dana rear end...never really competitive as a full dressed street driven gasser...traded it off just before Modified/ Production class came into existence...DANG! HS car.jpg

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Where's DETO and his car/project? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

It seems like in my high school days there was one in the area with a 55 or 56 pickup front axle.
    Pete