Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Hot Rod '32 Roadster from 60s TV show Ghoulardi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kid Rocker, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think ya done good...Thanks for sharing that...Did you box the frame...just curious...and I'm sure your target was early 60's and you have certainly met that.

The Yoke was mentioned by @Mr48chev and I am curious of the tank as well...thats a crazy location for a cap...But I understand Jalopy Hotrods are kinda quirky like that...I guess it's a roadster and the fumes escape quicker...

Did you address those details?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. speters

speters

Lots of fixes to the safety issues. We put a 18 gallon tank behind the seat with a new battery mount. The trans was swapped to a Muncie and the yoke is safer. The frame isn’t boxed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations by the way and please share any more you dig up on it's history...that kinda sixties look was interesting...but as with historic Hotrods you can pick a year and go for it...

Good on you for getting those issues cleared up...so that vintage pic is the same car?

4. I think it looks f#cking awesome !!! Who cares what I think ?? !!! What do YOU think ? Bitch'n' right ?? You know it !

loudbang, jimgoetz and Stogy like this.
  5. speters

speters

The history before Ghoulardi is an unknown. That pic is one I found floating around online. The way the body at the cowl is molded up with the boat windshield stations is very unique and roadster in the old picture looks the same.

6. speters

speters

[​IMG]

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your absolutely right and I did see the windshield...they had to start somewhere...it probably is it and that's pretty awesome.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking you already know of this but there's a story here...wow it's interesting the hinges are missing and it almost looks like the door is welded shut but that could just be the photo...also IF this turn out to be Lynn's Roadster he also did own the Doane Spencer Roadster...

0207rc_03_z-lynn_wineland-.jpg

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Lynn_Wineland's_1932_Ford

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0207rc-life-of-lynn-wineland/

This Hotrod also has connections to...

http://www.steenstacominibikes.com/steens_history.html

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. speters

speters

Don’t think they are the same car now that you can see the windshield from the front. It is funny that there is an Ohio connection in his story as well. Maybe someone saw his car and was inspired to do a similar windshield treatment

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget your ride has obviously went through many face lifts in it's time since that vintage pic was taken. Perhaps part of that update could have included eliminating the split windshield. Was there any evidence of purple? Any evidence of snaps in canvas boot area around cabin periphery?

Quoted text...
    "The car was originally painted black. Lyy thought the color was way too common, and mixed up his own custom Metallic purple that he laid on the car."

I do notice the vintage roadster has the beltline ending before the fwd cowl where yours ends extends to the end which again could have been added...a big similarity is the hidden hinges...well one thing that might be cool to see would be the magazine article...

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a great looking Hotrod.
    I still remember him blowing up model cars on tv and making fun of news anchor Dorothy Fuldheim
    Watched ghoulardi as a youngster.
    Never seen this car on tv.
    I can remember laughing so hard my stomach hurt watching this on his show.

Here’s alittle history.

12. speters

speters

No snaps visible and the old paint color looks like it was blue

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That show was on in the late Hamb era 1963 (I was 3)...pretty pop culturish and the character really has Rothish look but that was the wild 60s what can you say...there is a fair bit of this Ghoulardi stuff on YouTube is would be cool to find footage of the Hotrod on the show.

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Ernie Anderson (Ghoulardi) did have a thing for hot rods it would seem. This obvious is not that car but it does show he had an interest. Ernie lived in the same town I did (Willoughby) but I was far too young to remember much.

Ernie was good friends with Tim Conway who was born in Willoughby and I might have said back in 2005 one might ask him if he remembered the car but from what I hear, Tim is not doing well now.

Froggy pre-dates Ghoulardi and I actually have him as my pic because of the later show "The Ghoul". The Ghoul is Ron Sweed. I'm not sure how you could contact him but he knew Ernie and had been on the Ghoulardi show. He might remember if you could get in touch with him. He is still around.

[​IMG]

(edit) did a quick search to see if Ron had a way to contact him and see where he had a pretty serious heart attack late last year so one might want to get on that if interested.

15. speters

speters

Not sure how the car was involved in the show. It may have just been purchased with studio money for fun. Here is one picture of Ghoulardi with a hot rod
    [​IMG]

The other strange thing about the car was long pieces of tubing welding into the rear surround. There were 6 of them. They ended just before the frame so they were pretty long. The ends of the tubes were welded a little closed like a stop of some sort but not welded completely over. We thought it might be for some kind of Carson style top to slide on but a friend suggested it might have been part of a camera mount. You can see the holes in this picture but I had already cut the tubes short.
    [​IMG]

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the Munstermobile I think...and if this car seen TV someone must have some pics...

17. catdad49

catdad49

Munster Koach, Stogy. Thanks to all those involved in "rescuing" this one, looks like a fun little ride!

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It truly is amazing with a show that aired for 3 years there is a visual of that roadster...there is video online I am snooping...and yeah that was a bizarre time in history...but lots of wild things were going on...

loudbang likes this.
  19. speters

speters

No one has said they saw it so it may have never been on air but it was owned by the studio so who knows

20. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I watched that show all the time and I can't believe the local station that broadcast it owned the car. This was a very low budget show. Most of the props were homemade and looked it. I doubt if they even payed for the sparklers and fire crackers that were used. I never saw the car on the show or any where in the Cleveland area. Someone from The Choppers club of Cleveland might know of the car if it was really from Cleveland.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never seen the show before but watching it yesterday was kooky, cryptic, and either Roth influenced that show or it may have been vice versa...but the guy was obviously part of the car culture to some degree and obviously a bit of a Hoodlum...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    loudbang and jimgoetz like this.