Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 6 volt dash to 12 volt system help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by subneil56, Feb 18, 2019.

1. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

ok here i go running a1951olds dash cluster which i believe to be 6 volt im trying to get the right water temp sending unit for the 371 olds which is going to be running a 12 volt system. so my question do i get a 6 volt sending unit ?

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

12v '53 - '55 Olds or Cad ..

3. BJR

BJR

The senders need to match the cluster. Then use runtz voltage reducers to drop the voltage to the cluster. Don't use one on the amp gauge.

1oldtimer and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. Yes, as BJR said. Factory sender for the gauge no matter the brand of car. Then a volta-drop. I like the Runtz as well as the Ford or Mopar units. Few know that several makers stayed 6-V on the gauges long after the charging systems went 12-V.

Nailhead Jason likes this.

5. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

thanks for the info

6. BJR

BJR

oliver westlund likes this.
  7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Try this, Amazon and inexpensive.

drok.jpg

TS057 likes this.
  8. Stooge

Stooge

i used this voltage regulator on my last truck to drop the 12v down to the 6v shoebox ford cluster I was using. worked well and was easy to use having the outputs all in one terminal block, but I think it might have been a hair cheaper when I bought it a few yrs ago. i only bought from him the one time, so i cant say if anything is different between now and then.
    https://www.vintageautogarage.com/12V-6V-VREG-Oil-Gas-Temp-Gauge-Voltage-Reducer-p/vreg06703.htm

he has a few other ones, but the one linked above is what I used
    https://www.vintageautogarage.com/Voltage-Reducers-Converters-s/2959.htm

9. BJR

BJR

So spend $60 or spend $9 to build 3 reducers for 3 gauges. Traditionally people built stuff for their cars. Now they just write the check.

10. Stooge

Stooge

Assuming that was directed at me, if it makes you feel any better, it was being used in a dash and console that i built from scratch, (and painted by me) using flat sheet metal shelves that were being scrapped at work...but i guess i had to use money to buy the paint so i dont know if it counts

Attached Files:

BJR likes this.
  11. I used all original 6V gauges and senders on my Ford and GM cars with 12 volts. For the feed for the gauges, I bought an original 65 Ford pickup voltage "limiter". 12 volts in, 6 volts out and you only need one for all the electric gauges in the dash.

oliver westlund and Blues4U like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

It was more of a general statement of how it seems to be today. No malace was intended.

Stooge likes this.
  13. Stooge

Stooge

It was a few yrs ago so i forget what my exact reasoning was for using that reducer over using the runtz ones like i had been planning, but i assume i was trying to simplify or thought i was going to have some problem with integrating the 12v negative ground of the rest of the truck to work with the 6v positive ground ford gauges i used.

BJR likes this.
  14. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

Where would I find a sending unit for that 51 olds dash ? Looked on e bay no luck ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

I bought this Chinesium unit off eBay. I wanted to go the Ford regulator route but couldn't find one for whatever reason. Anyhow I ran all the gauges in my '51 Shoebox off the one unit. I also bought a 30A unit that runs the solenoid on my overdrive and they both work great.

DC 12V 24V StepDown to DC 6V 10A 60W Waterproof Power Converter Regulator DC/DC https://ebay.us/TspZX9

16. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

17. BJR

BJR

from this info it looks like any GM sender up to 64 will work.
    Sending units ohm range.png

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  18. Neil, there is a old store in Mass. that may have a sending unit. PM F&J, he knows the fella. Or, try Fusick. I have a couple units but they are stuffed in storage and out of sight.

19. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

Thanks Walt talked to frank yesterday he gave me his name and number he has been out of them for a couple years . Any other leads I’m getting real close to starting here up.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. F&J

F&J

Neil, Look at post # 17 from BJR...his chart shows they are same as GM up to 1964." 0-30 ohm. "

I might have used ones from 53-56 Olds ... if you can't get one at local auto parts stores. New would be better, call around.