Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Hot Rod '32 Roadster from 60s TV show Ghoulardi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kid Rocker, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Just as a side note, Big Chuck and Little John are still doing their thing...hosting a B movie and screwing with the audience at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland as I write this. Evidently, this is still an every Friday night deal. If you need a contact to find out more about the Ghoulardi Rod, try http://www.fox8cleveland.com/default2.htm I believe Chuck's last name is Shadowski though the spelling may be wrong.

BTW, Ernie Anderson didn't leave TV after WJW booted him. He went to Hollywood and appeared as a character actor in a few series and possibly a movie or two. I remember he had a bit part on "Gunsmoke" as one example. I'm still shocked as shit that anyone outside of the country has ever heard of him....:eek:

Jan

2. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

Hey Man,
    thanks Ill get right on it!
    Dean
    www.DicEmagazine.com

3. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

HEY KEVIN!
    Hows it going man?
    Yeah this car was on Ebay and the guy pulled it off for me...I know its a jerk thing to do but I had to have it!
    He got it from the 2 brothers that had aquired it from the film studio 35 years before and kept it dry stored since!
    All they did was add the beautifull wheels and rebuild the motor having it balanced and blueprinted at the same time.
    It arrives here in California in Mid January so I cant wait to give the rims to James White at CCHR....as I know he cant wait....I think they might be for his hemi model a? moving straight from the '60s to the '80s. Nice.
    Cheers
    Dean

4. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

Does anyone know where I can get some big and little 'US Royal Master" tires with the skinny white band???
    Cheers
    Dean
    www.DicEmagazine.com

5. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Dean,
    For what it's worth, various interviews with Chuck Schodowski state that Ernie Anderson was very passionate about cars and motorcycles (and jazz),
    so maybe the possibility of him owning your '32 isn't too far off....We did find a photo of Ernie in a sports car, so with any luck at all, maybe the roadster info will surface....
    More soon,
    Johnny & Kali

6. nero

nero

i'm borne and raised in cleveland,can't believed that an englander heard about goulardi!!! after he left cleveland,he did voice over,(the love boat)etc.i don't remember the car! oh the ghoul came after anderson left,big chuck and little john are still on tv,also doing pizza pan comercials

7. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

Cool man I hope something comes up to...would be killer to see the car back in the day!

8. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

hey man...actually I had never heard of Ghoulardi until the guy I got the car from said it was on the show. Thats when I started looking into it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. speters

speters

After Dean sold this car it bounced through the hands of a few dealers and ended up with Jim Bobowski of New Jersey (owns the Eddie Dye roadster and the Pierson Brothers 36 3 window) We bought it back in April and have been working on making it safe and usable for the first time in a long time.

Picking it up
    [​IMG]
    Loaded in the trailer
    [​IMG]
    Test fitting the tiny rumble
    [​IMG]
    More test fitting
    [​IMG]
    You can see the interior pulled out in the background. Turns out this car was completely unsafe with the gas pedal and brake so close with no room between the pedals and center console.
    [​IMG]
    As cool as the interior was it made the cabin area super small and the pedals unsafe
    [​IMG]
    This is the floor once the interior was out. You can see the gas fill between the drivers leg.
    [​IMG]
    Tank and battery mount
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. speters

speters

[​IMG]

catdad49, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. speters

speters

Firewall the an old sheet of steel diamond plate they must have pulled out of the ground and plated because the surfaces were all pitted before chrome. The recess in the firewall is an old chrome headlight bucket cut and painted inside.
    [​IMG]

The pedals are ansen style but shortened to death with no more leverage and the boat style gas pedal was awkward to push
    [​IMG]

Some of the hand made chrome bits for the front end
    [​IMG]

Chrome steering arm with a cool chrome nut on it
    [​IMG]

Love these headers
    [​IMG]

Headlights mount through the grill shell to some crazy mount that is all chromed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see this pop back up - interestingly Ernie Anderson "Ghoulardi" went on to become the "Voice of ABC" TV in the 70s-90s and did lots of other voiceover work. His son is Paul Thomas Anderson the director (There Will be Blood, Boogie Nights, The Master)

jimgoetz likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That gas tank location leaves something to be desired especially with so much of the yoke on the drive shaft sticking out of the trans.
    The original thread was a couple of years before my time so this is a new one on me. Keep us posted on what goes on with it.

Stogy likes this.
  14. speters

speters

The seats were cut down plastic school chairs that were wrapped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. speters

speters

The hidden hinges are awesome
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. speters

speters

The chrome steering column is actually 3 pieces of an Electrolux vacuum cleaner extension with a grease soaked piece of rubber shoved in the top as a “bearing”. We replaced it with a piece of polished stainless with a real bearing
    [​IMG]

17. speters

speters

All the old scary stuff pulled out to clear the way
    [​IMG]

Pulled out the 3 speed with the home made shift linkage and cut what was left of the k member down to create some space
    [​IMG]

In went a Muncie 4 speed with only a little modifications to the crossmember and then a whole new floor
    [​IMG]

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice, Just thinking, I'd have to find a pair of those school chairs that like the ones that were used for the seats and move the upholsery over to them just to have them around the shop or man cave. I know I sure wouldn't want to ride in them from CT to Roundup and back.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. speters

speters

Next came some paint and a back seat support
    [​IMG]

Then a front nerf bar to match the back and some stripes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some new scoops
    [​IMG]

And a new interior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. F&J

F&J

DSCN2254.JPG
    Out for a sleigh ride, December 2018 Eastern Ct, ...the forecast for that night was 17F.
    ...drive 'em if you got 'em..

RDR, catdad49, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  21. speters

speters

Our Holiday card
    [​IMG]

22. speters

speters

Someone said the car was built in Texas because going to Cleveland but I have no proof of that...could it be?
    [​IMG]

23. LBCD

LBCD

The dash is 41 Ford, nice job on getting it safer and enjoy it!

loudbang likes this.
  24. speters

speters

I thought it was 41 Mercury because it is different colors than my 41 Ford had

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I'm just like you. I remember Ghoulardi well but don't ever remember seeing the car. The Ghoul came around long after Ernie Anderson left Cleveland and was maybe 1/2 as funny.

loudbang likes this.
  26. LBCD

LBCD

Mercury [​IMG]
    Ford, I painted my plastic bezels gold instead of the original taupe color. You have the chrome one piece I believe. Either way that’s a cool story and car you got there. [​IMG]

27. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

WOW!!!

This is amazing. I love seeing the car being fixed the proper way and being enjoyed!!
    Also glad you took the hubcaps off those Chrome reverse. ;)

This is one car I wish I could have kept.

Enjoy!!

Dean

28. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I've managed to get behind the wheel of this car a few times....... " she likes to party" lol. Its a lot of fun to drive :D

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  29. speters

speters

Since the diamond plate turned so many people off I decided to have a firewall pad made
    [​IMG]

30. speters

speters

What do you guys think?

loudbang, catdad49, Deuces and 2 others like this.