Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flexhoses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is really funny. Some guys are anal retentive enough to worry about flex hoses not looking good enough for them? LOL! That's hilarious! What makes it even funnier is the fact, as pointed out by @Crazy Steve that the look is as traditional as anything. Hahahahahahahaha! Thanks for the laugh fellas. :D :D :D

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never liked the looks of flex hoses but have used plenty of them. On my 48 when we stuck the 283 in it in the mid 70's a flex hose was the only top hose that had two different size ends and was the right length. I can't remember what we did for the lower but think it was a flex hose too.
    I'm thinking that on a lot of swaps the miss matched sizes are what called for a flex hose rather than finding one with bends that could be cut to fit.
    My last hose buying trip showed that buying a flex hose wasn't cheaper as the same length flex hose was several dollars higher than a fitted hose.

loudbang likes this.
  3. my dad and I have been testing flex hoses for the last 60 years...............no problems yet. 12470811353_938c5a6fd1_c.jpg TED's 002.JPG

brad2v, jazz1, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I think on many flathead powered hot rods a sharp bend is needed at the head followed by a long straight section, making a flex hose a poor choice.
    [​IMG]

impala4speed and Stogy like this.
  5. I'm sure you know more about it than I do. It just seems to me if you add restrictions you're not adding zero. You're adding restrictions to the other restrictions you already have.
    Whoa! Wait a minute, we might have some scientific proof here. :p I kid. :rolleyes:

It seems we have enough cars running flex hose with no problems so any issues, real or imagined, are a moot point.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    oliver westlund and Stogy like this.
  6. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

wasnt as much a concern about looks as a concern about cheap as$ hoses breaking your radiator... gotta read all posts, the first one most importantly

7. That's what I do also. I just think the molded hose looks cleaner.

8. Could we all agree that a flex hose makes a decent temporary while you're working on a rod and lots of things are still being adjusted..... or if you're helping someone out who's stuck on the side of the road?

oliver westlund likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@The Shift Wizard...:rolleyes:...You Forgot or Permanent Traditional option...

Re-writing History is evidently Traditional too...;)...the pics of Norm's T do speak volumes too...

oliver westlund and alanp561 like this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

To the OP..Test the rigidity of the flex hose, if you feel it is too stif then manually put a bend in it and use wire outside across the bend to make it stay bent..You can even put in place with the wire and take the wire off after some heat cycles and the hose relaxes into staying bent..

Stogy and oliver westlund like this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

As too one small part of OP,about flex hose putting load on out let,after a fairly shot time hot n cold,hot n cold,makes flex hose take the shape its in,an that flex spring is gone. I've used flex hose a lot,never a prob from how springy to start with. I like the ones with spring built in to the rubber,not just a spring laying inside.

alanp561, oliver westlund and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My upper most visible hose is flex...but trimmed to fit at the bottom with the flex actually clamped as the normal clamp area is missing...is this typical or...
    Did you fellas not do that as a rule...

Obviously it's done to fit and perhaps a better length may be available...My inner spring is not embedded...therefore it was trimmed away prior to clamping.

I believe it's time to look into this before this season starts as it's due for replacement.
    If I have to trim it's better not to get into the ribbing...and I will try to find embedded spring...

I want to stay flex as it is a part of the traditional look and I'm good with that and rad outlet is fine.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Hank37 and dana barlow like this.
  13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have never been a fan of flex hose's , call em traditional or whatever you want. I remember as a kid at the shop I hung out at in the early 70s the guys used flex hose's when a formed hose wasn't available...But it wasn't like this is what they would put on their cars. One of my favorite formed hose's is the lower for a 55-57 chevy pass car , super short ,super tight radius , works in a lot of early fords with sbc swaps. Also the upper hose from an early 70s Monte Carlo:confused: It's super long with several bends , and usually works in a pinch.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My lower hose is molded and may in fact be just what you mentioned...thanks for that info Lumpy...;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    lumpy 63 likes this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Done that too ,but clamping in the rib/no spring or with,when cutting hose that short,I used two clamps side by side and had no prob. !.
    As you look around,some times you see upper hose humped up in center so engine end an rad. end are lower then the hump is. Not good too do ,an lets steam/air pocket form in that hump,higher hump the more prob. Added to those that don't have the red.cap = highist point of all cooling water,makes a poor cooling set up !

alanp561 and Stogy like this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I put one on the top for my 302 in my '50 Ford as a temporary fix...8 years ago. If it works, use it.

17. zzford

zzford

I prefer the formed hoses myself. A neat trick that I use when I go to find one that will fit, is I use one of those air duct hoses like used to run to the air cleaner. You bend it to fit your need and it will keep its shape. Then I take it to the parts house and match it up

oldsjoe likes this.
  18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

MVC-004F (3).JPG

Top hose tube also makes the case for different size inlets/outlets

flatheadpete likes this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

These arent traditional but sure make for a clean install when using a stainless or aluminum tube. Shrink the sleeve to the hose / tube joint, use a clamp to the rad and water inlet so it can be serviced. Screenshot_20190221-104443_Chrome.jpg

oliver westlund likes this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

The first thing a flex hose tells me is you didn't take the time to get a molded hose. BTW, they look "Cheesy".

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Rather see exhaust tubing welded by ray charles with his feet than see flex hose...

22. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Good lord this is a pet peeve of mine. Walk in: I need "Insert part you need". Up front letting them know it's not the original motor, etc you won't find said part with year, make, model. Counter guy "Year? o_O(not gonna find it that way) Make? (this a custom build) o_OModel"? (it didn't have insert part for this car in 1950). :mad:. And speaking of rad hoses. I brought universal rad hose to the store, "I need one of these". Counter guy "What is it? "IT'S A UNIVERSAL RADIATOR HOSE! Year?Make?Model? :rolleyes:

23. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

So rather than using flex hoses that have proven to be quite traditional, you suggest finding a later era molded "right" hose which is far from "traditional" and violates the period correct ethos a lot of guys around here obsess upon. Huh......Bob

F&J, Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  24. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

personallybi think to argue that a molded hose is late model and bicker about originality is SILLY haha thats like slapping a guy on the hand for his aftermarket brake lines or his power booster, a hose is a hose, the goal TRADITIONALLY has been to have the cleanest look possible.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for thinking for those that run a traditional style hose...You do know...that's amazing...and BTW they look fine...

By the way the goal here is 1965 and down or inspired as such...so after period stuff (period here means cutoff 1965) you describe is really off topic and I don't care to see it of hear about it. Your definition of Traditionally should technically end at 1965...period after that its at discretion for OT...

If it's not a can of worms many find ways of creating it...and it's very popular to try to discredit historically correct options so don't try to pass the new as old...or try to make it equal as it never will be...

@Blues4U for you is correct...and as has been alluded you can run a non stiff version of flex hose or OEM and make the claim its period correct for this site or don't mention it as most are not interested if you haven't met that criteria...

Remember you can run discs because you decided to but I don't care to hear about them...

I care that my Hotrod fits a vintage within the Hamb guidelines as an Inspired and take the criteria seriously as do most...it isn't silly.

F&J likes this.
  26. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i think this is silly too haha. ONCE AGAIN whether you want to hear or see it. it is a hose. it isnt not period correct to not have a flexhose. it isnt off topic to not have a flex hose and if you dont like my molded hose that was PERIOD CORRECT ON MY Y BLOCK. close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears lol unless of course you are actually making the argument that molded hoses didnt exist before 1965? :p:p:p

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you miss OEM 1965 and previous any kind of hose by chance...I did say that...o_O

What I am saying is to say a Flex hose is a temporary option is a opinionated historical faux pas (you have obviously been misled and corrected)...I can't actually find history on the origin of flex radiator hose but it was around in the late 50s at a minimum and on my ride they are correct AND not temporary.

Blues4U likes this.
  28. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

i think youre making a faux pas, i never said flex hoses werent historically or period correct. i just said i think molded look better, its a matter of opinion. my original post was just an honest question about potential damage caused by flex hoses. i think that was more than adequately answered several times. to cut a radiator hose that came on an 80 chevy down and use it because it happens to have a bend that works for you is plain and simple. its a hose. maybe the 1953 hudson hose that has the exact same bend isnt available, all i was saying is arguing about a hose being off topic is SILLY. if its black, rubber and looks exactly like what you need it to look like for your period project, WHO CARES. we constantly have to use repoped parts or figure out methods for making things work. it doesnt make it a street rod because they dont make your fan motor anymore so you found one that fits or because your clock didnt work so you replaced it with a battery operated one that uses your stock face and arms... this is called splitting hairs not being off topic

impala4speed and bdynpnt like this.
  29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

55 to 57 T birds had to have a molded lower radiator hose. If you used a universal better buy 2 because in about a week you will need it repeat twice a month. There is no way to keep a flex hose from getting rubbed thru. I personally like molded hoses if possible.

bdynpnt and oliver westlund like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flexhoses are a Permanent replacement for OEM hoses period...IF one chooses to do so in lieu of OEM that is their option and they are not any lesser for doing so....Enjoy your smooth hoses and enjoy the information gleaned. I will...

Moriarity likes this.