Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 4 Door Conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CaliChevyV8, Feb 20, 2019.

1. I know where there is a 4 dr, 4 hrs away you could put that sedan delivery door on !!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Hell ,I could turn that into an hour for you LOL

3. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Where?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Proportions are off. The front door jam needs to be moved rearward, lengthening the door.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Perhaps instead of removing the post and fabbing extra door sill materials to fill in the area where the posts were removed, you could bring the rear quarter window opening forward to meet the old back door window opening, and fill in the gap behind the quarter window. I think that'd be easier to fab (making one big flat patch panel in the C pillar instead of making new window sills) and also would lessen the "bow" effect that Sloppy Jalopies mentioned.

The proportions are still unique but you seem to like that. Just a suggestion.

33-2-2.jpg

RDR likes this.
  6. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Thank you Squablow, I like that idea too, I’ll stir on it and see, I do like it though

7. Toqwik

Toqwik

If you want to be different, what about slanting the window openings at the B pillar, similar to late 30’s early 40’s. Leave the top of the door the same length and lengthen the door.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. " 4 door/7 window to a 2 door/5 window"
    a 33-34 Chevy 4 door front door is very close to the 5 window. I don't know about the 35 and up. But a 35 4 doors seems to be still a 34 body. the coupes went to the new body style.
    But the 2dr sedan is close the door length with the 3 window.
    See image, you can do this but you would have to shorten the length on the rear window and rear roof area to the correct 5 window proportion..
    Make sure to brace the heck out of this as these cars are basically sheet metal wrapped onto wood.

I would recommend finding a coupe in the area at a show or something and star measuring.

Also note you can will have to find a set of rear qtrs, I actually saw a set sell here a year or two ago.

The better way is to find a donor body and just transfer all you good parts to it.
    20181008_112448 4 to 2.jpg

tb33anda3rd and classiccarjack like this.
  9. Five window doors are the same length as the 4 door ,except the side/ top is rounded 33 chev.png

10. BJR

BJR

I say build the 4 dr with suicide rear doors. Way less work and you may also finish it in your lifetime.

11. Sorry my mistake , looked at my old 5 window and back edge of doors are square noname.png

VANDENPLAS and dwollam like this.
  12. 41fred207

41fred207

This was a 4 door Murray town sedan...

Attached Files:

13. junkman8888

junkman8888

Wait a minute, did you say the "B" word? If you think welding up the rear doors is a good idea what you need to do is fill a baby seat with bricks then try to get it in and out of the car through those skimpy front doors. I promise it won't take long for you to see why you need those two extra doors.

14. Chopped 4 doors are cool...

King ford and Fordor Ron like this.
  15. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good topic for discussion but the car in your vision is only one skull or spider web from crossing the line. :eek:

belair, RDR, Latigo and 6 others like this.
  16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I noticed that, too...

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

And yet there are many cars on this website that are even more ratroddy and they are allowed here.

VANDENPLAS and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  18. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

I’m not going for a cheesy rat look, my goal will be similar to my 66 C20 i did a couple years ago. Keep as original as possible while still making some tweaks with my own touch, some of those style touches may be a little ratty but not the cheesy kind. My C20 is original paint, matching 327 and TH400, original matched interior, factory AC, protect-o-plate and docs.
    [​IMG]

Also, please to announce I just bought a 33 chevy master eagle 4 door!! Let the work begin. [​IMG][​IMG]

19. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Just may need to throw a couple skulls on there now that I know you guys love em though

VANDENPLAS and Frankie47 like this.
  20. Ask the guy is they have a back half of a coupe body you can buy?

21. raymay

raymay

You will like it better if you can get a couple of 2dr doors which will be longer and make it easier getting in and out. You can then use part of the rear door for your fill in panel. I know on a 37/38 Chevy the 2dr doors are10" longer. I had a 37 Sedan Delivery which comes with the shorter 4dr doors. If I were to do it again, I would have switched the doors.

del15.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

I may just keep the four doors for now with the kids young then adjust once they’re a bit bigger. Focus on getting all the original stuff functioning then tweak down the road. I like the original spoke wheels, are those difficult at all to work with or find tires?

23. Tires are available 17 inch . Six bolt hubs .

24. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Right on, I like the look of them, thinking a 346 flathead caddy will be the way to go under the hood

25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Wow! Wish I was lucky enough to score a car like that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I hope that you will let me come by and look at the mordoor.... Because of kids, we have a 4 door wagon, it's very convenient.

27. Latigo

Latigo

Now you’re talking! Nothing wrong with a nice 4 door. When the kids are bigger, you’ll be older. More doors might be appreciated.

28. CaliChevyV8

CaliChevyV8

Jack I have a feeling you’ll be seeing a lot of this flatty caddy!

29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

LOL! Right on!