Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sun water temp sending unit question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joliet Jake, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I have two vintage Sun water temp gauges that the sending units have went bad. All that seem to be out there are $150.00-$200.00 sending units, are these people crazy? Can it be true that with thousands of these gauges in service you can't find a decently priced sender? I was told recently that a "generic" sender could be used provided a 1/2 amp resistor was placed between the sender and gauge. Has anyone heard that one? I would like to think that with all the car builders out there, some ingenious lad has come up with a solution to this problem without getting a loan to buy a sender from some guy trying to put his kids through college at my expense.

2. bob41

bob41

3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

You're no doubt talking about the 2 5/8" WT-260 or "blueline" temp gauge. The sender for that gauge (Sun's old #'s WTS-125/375/500) weren't used in later production Sun's which is the main reason I don't handle Bluelines. There's an Ebay seller that comes up with NOS senders on occasion, but you're right... they're crazy expensive. The senders I have listed are NOT for Bluelines, they are for the 1,000 and CP series gauges. I've been told (though I haven't checked them personally) that repro's are available at a decent price (one is listed below).
    Tell them Mike @ Vintage Rod Components referred you. Might not help, but it won't hurt!:D

Roger Scott
    Corvette Instrument Service
    9627 Begonia Street
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
    561-627-9345

4. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

If you can figure out the ohms range, tmaybe there is something close. I have VDO, SW and Faria sender values here somewhere.
    Mark

5. axt188

axt188

the sun sending unit I have in front of me at room temperature is 3.8 megs..... that is 3,800,000 ohms!..... I have measured these out before and didn't remember the impedance being so high, so I'm not totally trusting this reading as the sender is intermittent in my car due to the ceramic insulator being cracked. if I can locate a good sender which my friend has and can supply I will find a sender that works and sell them for $10 a piece to screw over the azzhats that try to get rich over enthusiast enjoying their swap meet find groovy gauges.........

Joliet Jake likes this.
  6. BJR

BJR

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

The unit of measure for a resistor is Ohms not Amps.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. RetiredGuy

RetiredGuy
    from Washington

TechnoVersions offers a sender for the Sun temperature gauges. Look at the bottom of the MeterMatch page. www.TechnoVersions.com It's $86 including priority mail shipping.