Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Smoke coming out through exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joseangel_1976, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man, it's hard to help you diagnose anything when we're not getting a complete picture. And then your "drive it til it breaks" comment makes us think you're not going to bother fixing any problems that get identified. Spend an hour with it in the driveway and tell us:
    - at this point, is it still smoking?
    - what is the oil level?
    - what is the coolant level?
    - what do all 8 spark plugs look like? (and refer to them by "#1, #2", etc)
    - what is the cylinder pressure reading for all 8?
    - do you still have Seafoam in the tank? (it burns white, like this)

hqdefault.jpg

Old wolf likes this.
  2. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

It is a way to clean carbon out of the combustion chambers, off the valves etc. It can also be done with water.

3. Dude, drive that sucker until you get a hoopty, it’ll make it. If your tranny is still good, just disconnect the motor, pull-it and have your brother do a rebuild, then all you have to do is drop it back in and bolt it up. So much cheaper, easier snd cooler than a white bread LS and everything entailed to swap. Dumping that sexy 390 is like taking Betty Page and turning her into Dinah Shore; no more garters, heels and whips, just chaperoned dates and weds night bible meetings, yuck.

(Cudos to you for coming back and taking our abuse, rock on)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ricko1966 likes this.
  4. X-cpe

X-cpe

If the exhaust valve doesn't open all the way, the engine will build pressure on the exhaust stroke that will have to be relieved through the opening of the intake valve before any vacuum can be created. This will reduce the fill of the cylinder, which, if insufficient to fire, will wash down the cylinder walls and gas up the oil.

5. There's always a leak down test
    Even if one would just fill the cylinders with air the probability is high that the compression problem can be diagnosed correctly

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's knackered. That was noted early on, and yet, here we all are...:p

clunker and Old wolf like this.
  7. Before you panic too much....
    Seafoam at high doses WILL produce white smoke exhaust with no lasting harmful effects.
    You could hook up the engine to a no-additive fuel source and see if the white smoke goes away.
    The very first time I high-dosed a motorcycle with sea foam, I thought I ruined it.
    Then I discovered it's just the natural color of the exhaust from a high concentration of additive.
    Don't panic yet :)

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Blues4U likes this.
  8. ricko1966

ricko1966

If you have 1 cylinder with just 30 psi.I would pull the oil cap .the radiator ccapand the air cleaner put a shop towel over the rad opening, the top of the carb the oil filler opening and one in the exhaust pipe.With both valves closed on that cylinder pressurize the down cylinder with 120lbs of compressed air.If the rag blows off the radiator, bad head gasket/cracked head.The rag blows off the carb stuck/burnt intake valve.Rag blows out of the exhaust stuck/burnt exhaust valve.Rag blows off the oil filler you have a bad oil filler,no.no, that's not right , broken rings, broken ring lands a burnt piston.

Old wolf and clunker like this.
  9. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Thanks chuck i know some people wouldn't know what i was talking about. An old timer lives across the street and taught us this trick.

10. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Thanks for the positive vibes brotha. I think it's pretty hilarious some people don't know my situation i'm in right now. I'm just driving it temporarily while I get myself a 30mpg car. There's an auction on the third week of March getting me a good 4 cylinder. My brotha told me he would definitely give me the choice of the LS or just rebuilding my engine. I've saved so much money by going to him he's always helped me out. As of today the car is running pretty good. I was able to get rid of the fumes that were going inside the cabin too. Covered up the firewall, put a sock over the oil cap. lol!! Also, put a new PCV valve instead of the spacer i put thru the carb it's burning up the fumes pretty good. This week i had less smoke too coming out of the exhaust. I also put a MMO thru the tank last week. lol!! So the smoke is less it only comes out when i press the pedal. I make sure I check all oils every 3 days. For now, only thing is that I'm very minimal coming thru the cabin on the left side of the cabin, but once the car warms up the fumes stop. Like i said its very minimal I think it's the heat riser. Not sure if it's stuck or not, i might end up getting a spacer for it and getting rid of it. I also need to seal the two holes on my intake manifold, since I have an after market carb. I no longer use the choke heat tube.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    clunker likes this.
  11. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

We live in different cities, about 158miles i was just there for the weekend to pick up the car cause I need a vehicle to get me work temporarily while I buy a car in March.

harpo1313 likes this.
  12. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

haha very true the smoke has subsided. I got greedy and put some MMO in there on the gas tank, but it sure helped. I only get very little smoke when i press on the pedal. lol I know for sure one of my lifters is stuck, but the car is still going. :)

13. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Exhuast valve? Are we talking about the heat riser? I think that's what is causing a leak into my cabin, but once it warms up the fumes subside. So far the car is running great. ;)

14. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Oh just wanted to give u an update. My car is not smoking as bad as the picture. lol! When I went to work today, my car hasn't smoked that much. I think the seafoam worked and the MMO. haha My coworker said he did see blue smoke out of the exhaust when he was driving behind me everytime i stepped on the accelerator, BUT its not as bad as last week. I can honestly say i got to work without having or smelling fumes on me. lol! I can tell u that the car does burn oil very fast happened with the first 200 miles. This weekend I poured about a quart of oil cause last week i had already poured bout 4 quarts. I was thinking of putting some lucas. The coolent level is good i just keep an eye on it. I haven't had a chance to check the plugs, but for sure i got to change they have been there since 2013. haha Cause remember I moved from California to Texas. I can feel the car struggles when I first press the accelerator a bit and have to let go of it so i can catch the 1st gear so for sure plugs is next waiting to order them this week from rockautoparts. I don't know the pressure yet on all plugs, but will have a friend do it for me. Once the engine is warmed up my car doesn't smoke when it's idling. I think wehave improved from last week to this week. Less exhaust fumes perhaps i burned up all the carbon. Getting tempted to pour some on the crankcase on the oil to see what it does. Or maybe take out the plugs and pour a spoon of it on each cylinder see what it does.

clunker likes this.
  15. Terrible80

Terrible80

16. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

I don't get it but sure that's what I meant. lol!