Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 ford power steering help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Jan 12, 2012.

1. choptvan

choptvan

Anyone have any good conversion kits for the 56 s door pass car? I find a lot on f100's, but not to much on the car. Anyone got soemthing special they use? Or is there an alliance vendor I should be aware of? Thanks.

2. Mark T

Mark T

3. There is one for sale on a Toronto classifieds site. If you P.M. me I could send you the link. May be a bit far for you though.

4. choptvan

choptvan

yu know what is interesting about a search, it only works if you know exactly how to type it in. I typed 56 ford power steering conversion, and I got a link to thread by an fng quite some time ago and it had no replies. I did find a few on a cavalier rack and pinion, but was trying to look into other options.

5. choptvan

choptvan

that would be a bit far... we'll see though. is it a p/s kit? Or just old stock equipment?

6. Last month or so There was an article in rod & custom about using a gm type box
    It required welding .

7. It was the old stock equipment. I just did a search and it seems to be gone. I will keep my eyes out if you want though. I found it on this site...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/

8. choptvan

choptvan

Thanks. Any help is good. I have found a link for borgenson. I was also reading that a hamber makes the plates for the jeep box? Is that true?

63galaxie406 likes this.
  9. Mark T

Mark T

Rockabillykat666 was making the adapter plates, dont know if he has any left.

The Borgeson Jeep box is getting very popular lately, I have one on the shelf that I'm going to use in my '55 Ford with a homemade adapter plate. its a great P/S box to use but there is a bunch of fabrication work to do.

Try searching "Jeep power steering" or "56 Ford power steering" there are many threads about this box.

10. JEM

JEM

Different issues.

The Borgeson conversion as far as I know uses an Aisin box typical of various '90s Toyota and Isuzu products.

The Jeep box is a Delphi 600/670 series (note, this is NOT a 605). Maybe a slightly better box than the Aisin.

But...I'd thought the Jeep box had a much shorter output shaft and would not be easy to adapt to that car.

The Borgeson setup is a bolt-in kit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  11. choptvan

choptvan

Lookin him up now thanks. The borgenson kit does seem complete however. Pitman, bolts, plate and all. But a bit pricey.

12. Mark T

Mark T

The Jeep box has a long sector shaft just like the Ford passenger car box, the dimensions are almost exactly the same between the 2 boxes.

The picture below is the Jeep box next to a '49-'51 Mercury box. the Mercury is almost the same as the '55-'56 Ford box.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  13. 2 problems with the jeep box, it's longer out the back side so it may interfere with the upper A-arm and you can't use your original pitman arm, you would have to fill and re-ream it.

14. Mark T

Mark T

No problems with the upper A-arms.

The original pitman can be modified, no filling or reaming. Pete and Jakes sell a pitman that will bolt on but needs to be heated and shaped like the original.

15. there's no way a 56' pitman arm will work on that box. I have a box from a 99' jeep grand cherokee and the out put shaft is larger than the 56' ford pitman, the 49'-51' merc pitman arms will go on without any problems, as far as I know the 99'-2004 jeep grand cherokee boxes are all the same? I also checked the "ball stud" from the 52'-60' ford draglinks and it doesn't fit like it should on the jeep pitman, it doesn't need to be filled and reamed but it may have to be reamed deeper, the "ball stud' from the draglink doesn't seat down deep enough

16. Mark T

Mark T

The '56 Pitman will work but it needs to be modified. the jeep shaft is larger but has the same number of splines.
    What you need to do is find a junk sector shaft with the same diameter and spline count as the Jeep, you heat the Ford pitman arm hot enough so you can press the junk sector shaft into it, this stretches it enough so it can be used on the jeep box. I didn't dream this up, its been done many times and it works.

Join the 1952-56 FORD Cars Social group here on the HAMB, there are a few guys in the group that are using this box with the modifications that I mentioned.

Here is a few pitures of the modified Pete and Jakes pitman arm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Gee.....I don't know.....you think choptvan can weld or fabricate if need be?:D Will most likely have it all done by the time this is posted.

18. choptvan

choptvan

HA HA! Thanks! Actually doin some research for a customer's car. 56 2 door hardtop, 351w, c4, chop top, continental kit... pretty cool car. Power steering would be icing on the cake sort of speak. Just trying to get a good idea of what needs to be done. And with those pix just posted, I think I have it all figured now. Thanks again guys. Love the hamb!

19. Will be watching this thread closely as I'm working on a '55 Ford that my parents bought new. Don't need power steering going down the road, but it would be nice to have getting in/out of tight parking spaces. I want to keep the 3 on the tree.

20. choptvan

choptvan

It does not look like any of these fit with the 3 on hte tree. THey all require column modifications that wouldnt allow it. From what I understand.

21. JEM

JEM

I'm going to have to pick up one of those boxes just to experiment with.

As far as the pitman arm goes, it sounds like the same 28/27mm-36 spline that the Opel/Cadillac ZF box that's going in my '64 wagon uses. The Ford 1 1/8-36 pitman slides about halfway up.

I'd heard/read about the shade-tree-broach approach, but I'd made the 'net acquaintance of a guy in Turkey who's put a few of the Opel ZF boxes in other cars (Mustangs, VW buses, etc.) and has a shop who can actually cut the tapered inside spline out to the proper dimension, so I shipped him a couple arms to rework. It was easier, and in the end cheaper, than finding someone local to do it, and if anyone wants to talk to him about it I can put you in touch.

This is the ZF box next to a '64 Galaxie box:

[​IMG]

Output shaft within 1/4in of the same length, even a bit shorter on the front end of the box, the valve housing on the input-shaft side is MUCH longer and extends all the way to the firewall in the '64, the blob on the side of the valve housing is the PWM solenoid for the Servotronic variable assist. The valve housing can be rotated 90 degrees with a little quality drill-press time to move some passages around in the housing.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  22. Mark T

Mark T

The Jeep pitman arm has the same diameter and spline count as the 800 Saginaw box, Pete and Jakes sell a straight Saginaw pitman arm that is 7 inches long that will bolt right on, it has to be heated and reshaped for the Fords.

23. dshigeka

dshigeka

Hi,
    I have a complete kit that will work. I uses an Isuzu gear with a solid coupler that will run up inside the column tube. The kit included a pump, pump bracket, hoses, pump pulley, coupler, pitman arm kit, and hardware. Call me 281-993-5068.

24. TiffKV

TiffKV

Hi...I was wondering if you found the answer. We just bought my son a '56 Ford Truck and we are looking for a kit if there is one available out there to add power steering during our restoration. Or we can build if you have gotten any specs on what other are doing. Thanks

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

26. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I have put a Cavalier power rack on a 50 Ford and have a 57 Ford Fairlane in the shop right now with a power Cavalier rack. Easy, no exotic machining, and works great. Since it's down underneath everything there's no clash with any other part.

27. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

What year Cavalier? Thanks.

28. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

All up through 1992 or maybe 1993. Will take a photo of the one on the 57 Fairlane if anyone interested.

29. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Borgenson make a bolt in power box kit

seb fontana likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old thread. If anyone's going to use the stock column it's a pain in the a** no matter what conversion chosen.