Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Did H.A.M.B.er get this 1950 Olds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Feb 19, 2019.

1. atch

atch

1950 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight - Rod & Custom Feature Car

I know that the eBay ad says "bidding has ended" and "reserve not met" but that doesn't mean that someone didn't snag it after the auction ended.

I searched and didn't find anything about this on here; if it's here let me know and I'll delete this post.

2. Well I didn't get it. but maybe someone did. Neat old hooptie.

s-l1600.jpg

mgtstumpy, Finn Jensen and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

I think there's one of those hoods on here for sale. Hey, every project starts somewhere!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. More of an oddity than anything else. If it were an actual factory install it would have more cachet, but it's not. Nice car, but he'll have to find the right buyer...

5. atch

atch

I don't know if this thing falls into the category of custom or hot rod or something else. I'm not a fan of customs and maybe that's what this thing is but if it had a stock hood I'd really like it.

Of course it's way over my pay grade but I can still like it.

6. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

That hood is awesome! I know it is a dealer showroom hood for allowing buyers to view the rocket engine without opening the hood. I would love one for my Buick. Actually have thought of trying to fab one. Does anyone know how this was done back in the day?

7. philo426

philo426

Wouldn't the clear panels melt due to engine heat?

8. Andy

Andy

It is a stock dealer 49 hood. It was to show off the all new V8 engine.

gggholson likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Personally, I’ve never liked that see thru hood. However, I understand preferences differ. Would not be too difficult to duplicate, in my opinion.

First, I’d get a sheet of at least 1/8” to 3/16” or so plexiglas. Cut a couple pieces a bit larger than the opening I want.......lay them on the hood in the position desired, and bake them with heat reflector (not spot type lamps), or some sort of heating pad, until they form to the shape of the hood.

Rubber moldings are available for putting glass/plastic panels in sheet metal openings. Make patterns for the hood openings and the plexiglass panels, which would be smaller than the hood openings by twice the web thickness in the rubber moldings. Cut holes and parts to size and assemble......eezy peezy.;)

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

11. Eds_tls

Eds_tls

12. RDR

RDR

That is what wife and I thought when we made the front windows in the '48 Spartan Manor travel trailer....3 windows eezy peezy...not even counting the trimming/grinding edges to fit after the original cutting...EACH window took 4 HOURS, lots of SOAP & WATER, and MANY cuss words I hadn't used in years !!:eek::mad:... But they are in !! Pretty sure Flyin Brian knows about this, eh ?

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.
  13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I really like it. I'm not going to spend the money but I really like it.

14. BJR

BJR

This picture of it reminds me of the rear windows in a 63 Corvette.

00U0U_h2a54MmCh0N_600x450.jpg

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to hunt though a half dozen photobucket albums of my photos from the Portand Roadster show but I remember seeing it there.
    One hell of a nice car all around but about all you can do with it is take it to a few local shows and maybe haul it to a national Oldsmobile meet for show and tell. The minute you change anything on it you kill any assumed value and it's just another nice old car.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What you couldn’t see in my post was my tongue in my cheek when I wrote “eezy peezy” :D

17. ...this one was at the Flyin Eyeball show in Davenport, Iowa in 2016...
    eyeball 16 006.jpg eyeball 16 007.jpg

mgtstumpy, Inked Monkey and cs39ford like this.
  18. I really like it! 49-51 Olds are some of my favourites. Would be a neat car to have.

That being said, with "Full restoration by marque expert" at the top of his ad, I would expect a little cleaner wiring job than what's shown under the hood...

He's proudly displaying his Speedway alternator... :D:rolleyes:

19. Eddie [The builder] had that car for years, here in the Omaha area. Very nice car with super rare parts. Eddie has a shop in Wahoo Nebraska and he use to turn out 49-51 Olds' like a small assembly line. My favorite was a floorpan/chassis from a 4 door with the top part of the car from a 50 Chevy delivery. He made a 50 Olds delivery and it looked like a perfect factory Olds delivery. Photo taken at Speedway Motors parking lot. I don't know who ended up with it or even if it sold. 50Oldseddieresec.jpg

mgtstumpy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Very few cars I love more than a '50 Olds coupe. However, the first thing I would do if I owned this one would be to trade off that hood to someone who actually thought it looked good.

harpo1313 and Gman0046 like this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Love the car but not the see trough hood.

22. Well back then it would have been plexiglass (as opposed to a more modern poly). You heat plexi to about 400 degrees to form it so in answer to your question. NOPE

wvenfield and alanp561 like this.
  23. RMONTY

RMONTY

I would love to see the photos of that Sedan Delivery. I am doing that same thing with my SD project, except it is a 4 door 1952 Chevy, Of course as you know Rocky, it is getting the long doors on it.

24. sololobo

sololobo

I had a 49 coupe, one that got away! I sold our friend Eddie Rezac in Wahoo a 50 Pontiac sedan delivery to make an Olds out of it. But a gent saw it sitting by his shop and bought it as a Pontiac.

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud Mel in San Jose had a '50 Tudor sedan with a J-2 and that see-thru hood.
    Drunken Mel was doing 70 on the long sweeper curve on Highway 17 going to Santa Cruz...
    Mel overdrove the turn, and we took out 30+ feet of guard rail and landed in the mid-height limbs and branches of a BIG Redwood...
    Me and Drunk Mel climbed down the tree to the 'ground floor', then back up the bank to the road!
    The Olds headlights were on, looked eerie up there when climbing down...
    Never rode with Mel again.
    He got the car back after 6 months in the county jail...Car was scraped up on the right side, but he fixed it.

26. Larry....Eddie and I made a deal on that black Pontiac delivery [straight 8/3speed] but my money fell through before I could pay him. He was pissed at me for a year! We finally made up ok. Wish I'd bought it but remember, it had windows cut into it. Tough fix.

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a NOS GM hood that was on E-Bay some time ago. Lots more to see with this one:D
    Olds hood.JPG