Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Selling car to Michigan with bill of sale HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robracer1, Feb 20, 2019.

1. robracer1

robracer1

Selling 1950 Ford car going to Michigan with bill of sale the State of GA does not issue a title on any car over 25 years. told the buyer only have bill of sale so he calls the DMV and they tell him they do not except a bill of sell.
    Is this correct?

The state of GA. any car over 25 years only needs bill of sale and title not needed

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. robracer1

robracer1

please i'm fixing to lose a sale

3. Just like South Carolina. we don't buy cars without titles and it's the same in Michigan.

I had to sell a car I bought from a guy in Georgia at a loss back to another man that lived in the state because South Carolina DMV will not except a bill of sale.

A lot of States are now refusing to register cars without titles. HRP

4. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

I just went through that in Florida to title a car from New York. ( same no title before 1965 ) PITA had to have a officer of the law or a notary personally check the vin on the vehicle to verify it is what it is. After that and $$$ I had a title from Florida for the state I live in
    Ron

5. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I bought my '55 Stude coupe out of Iowa. It did not have a title, but the person who I purchased it from was a licensed car dealer who dealt in old cars. I told the Michigan Secretary of State I didn't have a title, since the car was purchased in a state without a title law for cars that old. The woman at the counter called the head office in Lansing to inquire. We were told since I purchased the car from an actual dealer, my dealer letter-head receipt was good to go as a transfer title. I filled out paper work and paid my fees and I got a green title in the mail a couple weeks later. If you know a local car dealer, you might be able to pay him a couple of bucks to validate the numbers and write you a receipt.

dan c likes this.
  6. Bonded titles in South Carolina are a PITA & expensive, I applied for one on a Harley Davidson engine and it took 2 years and several hundred dollars, I don't care how great a deal it is or how bad I want it,never again will I but anything out of State without a title. HRP

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

about 30 years ago i fell for the scam that used to be in hemmings, may still be, "we title any car". there was two of these outfits, one in alabama, and one in new york. i chose to be scamed in al. so you send them 200 bucks, and you receive back, a set of al. plates registered to you, with registration card, and a nice copy of the state law stating that cars over 20 years old dont need a title. so then you take all that to the state and they say" yeah? so wheres the title? and out the door you go. no title and 200 bucks poorer. i have often wondered if its the same deal if you actually moved from one of those states. so, point is your man in michigan will only get a bill of sale, and he will have to play by michigan rules after that

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ Amen!! Never!! Been there done that.

9. Try calling the DMV main office in the capital, they are usually more knowledgeable. The local branches probably don't deal with this issue very often. Get a name when you call in case you need to have your local DMV call and confirm what you find out.

Charlie Stephens

jazz1 likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

One of the real problems with the Michigan statute for me is the 6% sales tax on the actual purchase price of the vehicle. I once purchased a 60's car for 25K and went to the Kentucky DMV to get it titled, registered and to get Historic Tags. The DMV clerk said I owed $1500.00 in sales tax. I said thats not right, $1500.00 is way too high. The clerk who was new, checked with her supervisor who told her Kentucky has a book value for Historic cars 25 years or older which trumps the normal motor vehicle 6% sales tax. My bill dropped from $1500.00 to like $18.00. Kentucky is extremely old car friendly and has the best YOM tag statutes in the country. The DMV never even gets to know what numbers are on your YOM tag as they never see it. The only stipulation is that the vehicles currently issued tag be present in the vehicle your running the YOM tags on.

11. Just did a 63 Bird title transfer from GEORGIA to FLORIDA had the registration as well.
    OP, is someone pulling your leg.......

12. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

michigan is not florida its 20 and snowing here. I would not touch a out of state car without a title they are hard to even scrap oround here.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Wow..lots of naysayers. Send those killer deals my way. I sold a Model A to South Carolina last year with a bill of sale. The guy got a title somehow. Hmmmmm. I sold an XKE to Florida with a bill of sale. Guy got a title. I bought a 53 Buick when in Florida. Took it to the courthouse and they ran the vin number. Hadn't been in the system for 10 years. OK. They sent me a title. Some people don't want to do the legwork. Some don't know how. It's all about if you really want the car or not. There's always a way. As I said...if you're too lazy to check around, I will! Send me those deals!

rust runner likes this.
  14. Corroded

Corroded
    from MI

He will just need a VIN inspection (form) from Secretary of State office. . Law enforcement will check/verify the VIN then he can apply for a MI title, having just a bill of sale.
    I have done this.

15. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

GREAT! Nice to hear from someone who has actually DONE IT. Some people hit a red light and they stutter and stall. There's so much more out there if you take that right and keep going.

rust runner and F&J like this.
  16. F&J

F&J

Being that you "might" be a flipper ;) .... would you agree that quite a few "callers" actually are hoping for some reason NOT to buy the car? ..... I've heard stuff you can't imagine. o_O.

(My State is Non Titled on pre 1981....and yes, it does affect how many 'out of state' buyers you have to work with...but it kinda weeds out the crybabies that will find things to complain about way after they buy it).

17. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I listened to two DOT officers talking at breakfast one day, one had just pulled over a truck with a trailer loaded with three fiftys cars. The driver did not have titles for two of the cars and just bills of sale. Apparently from what I overheard the Iowa DOT could have impounded the cars with no titles. They were from out of state and it was at the officers discretion. What I don't know is if the cars were sold to the driver or someone else.

18. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Was the car you titled bought in state or from out of state it makes a differance.

19. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

In 83 I got a good deal on a total in Nevada. I found out about it from a relative who worked at a dealership. He bought the car put the front clip on for me. I live in Chicago. Pick up the car (no title bill of sale) brought it back to Chicago. Rebuilt it, painted it. Went to SOS. Was told it does not work like this in Ill. Make sure before you buy. Good Luck

20. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Not really a flipper...just an occasional deal to supplement funds for the current hot rod. You hear all kinds of stories, some are serious, some tire kickers.
    If you really want the car, you'll find a way. Seems like some people hit a bump and it's all over. Just because one person gives you a bunch of hoops to jump through, that's not the end. How about another tag office or the court or other hotrodders experiences. Don't stop at one NO, there are other avenues.
    I can't believe if I move from Georgia to another state that I can't find a way to register my own car. In fact when it happens, I WILL find a way to register it.

F&J likes this.
  21. robracer1

robracer1

Thanks for all the input I'm finding out that only a few at SOS know what to do with a bill of sale from another state, you have to go to there offices and if the first agent says in Michigan we will not except a bill of sale from a different state, then ask for there supervisor if they don't have the answer, ask for there supervisor and just keep going up the ladder to you find someone that knows how to handle this. After sending a lot of time calling the SOS 4 times I found someone that knows what to do, bring your notarized from GA. bill of sale, proof of insurance and drivers license.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  22. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Awesome....never give up!

23. Good to know. Sounds like a notarized Bill of Sale meets the State of Michigan's definition of an "Assigned Ownership Document". I could not find the definition on their website.

24. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Stop at a SOS in one of the smaller towns, the ones in metro Detroit always have long lines and difficult to deal with for more unique situations.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. gggholson

gggholson

Some DMV folks take a little extra stroking/hand holding to see the light! A few years back I bought a non titled Georgia car and brought it to Indiana. Same experience! “Gotta have a title. Georgia did not issues titles then!” Finally got the local DMV supervisor to call the responsible state office in Indianapolis. It was determined and verified in Indy that Georgia did not issue titles for the year of the car in question. Ended up that I called the appropriate Georgia DMV office in the county from which the car had been registered and spoke with the supervisor in charge. She wrote a NOTARIZED “To Whom it May Concern” letter stating that the State of Georgia did not issue titles in the year of the car in question, confirmed that the registration was in fact valid and that all fees/taxes were in order. I took the document to the Indiana DMV and with no further issues/delays, was issued a free and clear Indiana title.

Don’t know if this might apply to Michigan but worked for me.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  26. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

No info on your state, but NY is a non title state as well, which is where I purchased from. They do however register the vehicles with a transferable registration. PA required bill of sale and the Reg, along with a printout of the NY DMV page showing they did not title pre 76 cars.

Notarizing the bill of sale (though not required) went a ways to help the process along...

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is the key right there, Transferable registration.
    Current and up to date Georgia registration in your name with plates that are up to date and valid. Simply meaning that unless you are a licensed car dealer you don't own the car and have the right to sell it if it is not registered in your name.
    This is the bill of sale you print out and use or go to the Georgia dmv and get and use. https://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.g...t/MVD/Form/MV_Bill_of_Sale_Form_Form_T7_0.pdf
    It's no doubt helpful to print this page out an include it along with the bill of sale. https://georgia.gov/popular-topic/selling-motor-vehicles
    Note that the second link referes to the T-7 form

That still doesn't help with the simple fact that certain states Georgia included are viewed as stolen vehicle laundering states by some other states with stringent title requirements and those states will automatically throw up a red flag in some states.

28. no55mad

no55mad

Currently have a vehicle purchased in New York and received the most recent New York registration when the vehicle was purchased. The back of the registration card has vehicle transfer information, if the vehicle is sold. Took it to the Michigan SOS and they said they needed a title. Contacted someone in New York that is experienced in vehicle sales and they said to tell the Mich SOS to check transfer procedure in the 'POPE' Manual. Have not returned to the SOS yet, has anyone heard of this manual? ********For an update, went back to SOS and they were very helpful this time (used the HAMB charm) in getting SOS to accept the NY registration and title said NY vehicle in Michigan. The manual they used, to verify the interstate differences in registration, is called a 'POKE Manual'.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  29. Corroded

Corroded
    from MI

I hope it works out for you (or your buyer, whoever). Many employees can’t handle anything out of the ordinary. I have a SOS office ~15 miles south of me and another ~ 15 miles north. The “south” office, with it’s one employee, rejects about anything or gives difficult directions. The other office has rarely been a problem. All local office work is double checked in the Lansing HQ after it’s sent in so I know the one office isn’t doing things they shouldn’t. Lansing once caught a clean title erroneously issued locally for a salvage title I bought in MN.
    At least they decided they can do it for you. Like I said, I have done it before on just a bill of sale with a (MI) VIN inspection (both in and out state purchases), never needed a notarized bill. Insurance isn’t needed for a vehicle title, just for a registration plate- two separate things, (one might want to title a vehicle for ownership but not intend to drive it any time soon) but if that’s what they want in that office , it’s easy to insure anything for a day.
    The only hang up I recall was in assigning a value for taxes on a car I got for free. I titled a ‘55 Chev ragtop in rough condition but worth $4K (pic in sitting...rotting thread) and they went to their book that put the value at $100k! Wasn’t paying taxes on that! Went to a local dealer I knew who wrote a $100 appraisal for me. That worked for SOS title.
    Good luck.