Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Hot Rods photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rockerhead, Nov 1, 2016.

1. madfish

madfish

From an old collection

2.jpg

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Jimmy...You are a good Hoodlum...;)

brady1929, loudbang and KKrod like this.
  3. madfish

madfish

4. madfish

madfish

5. madfish

madfish

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dayumm...priceless moments thank you all for sharing...this makes livin the dream closer to a reality...;)

brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  7. Yea those are rad pictures

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have posted this in @woodiemikes thread and wanted to share it here as well...

So many of the men and ladies gracing this Hamb platform have lived through some of the periods most spectacular times.

Many others live and breathe it too but the elders of the hobby are the ones inhabiting those images we hold so close. This is why the questions.

Now my Mom was born in 37 and shes 80 now so that is up there. Any elder Hamber that would have been there would be well into their senior years now as many are. To all of you of whom I am speaking, Thank You so much for continuing to pass the torch...
    It truly is awe inspiring...;)

The cars however, perhaps evolved and went through numerous changes and many are here today thankfully, as many of you are.

So thank you to all who share what they know about
    all things Hotrod/Custom and in Between

Regards,
    Stogy

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lakes-pictures-p-r-c.943878/page-25#post-11858292

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Lots of very cool pics.....thanks!
    Looking through all the pics in this post, it sure seems like by 1947 lots of the hot rods were running 40 Ford and later steel wheels as opposed to running the earlier 35 Ford wire wheels. When did the choice of the newer steel wheels happen? I would guess that it started in 1940, and gained momentum as the newer wheels ended up in the junk yards. Would it be safe saying the wires are more of a pre-war look, and the 40 steel wheels more of a post war look?

Stogy likes this.
  10. madfish

madfish

I would think since most of the new cars were running steel wheels and small hubcaps that they both transferred
    to the older cars. This, in effect, updated them to what was current on the new cars. The same would be true when
    all new cars ran wire wheels. They just transferred over as replacement for the wooden spokes. It's always been about "the look."

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    rod1, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. madfish

madfish

12. madfish

madfish

13. Squablow

Squablow

The '40 style wheels are a bit lighter than '35 wires, aren't they? Certainly more aerodynamic, and they balance better in my experience. For racers, there was a big advantage to the solid wheels.

Stogy likes this.
  14. The steal wheels didn't fly apart like the wires started to at high speeds. They found that the wires were cracking around the spokes and some did fly apart. So when the steel wheels came out it was a no brain'er. The dry lake guys even used heavier milk truck steel wheels on the really go fast cars.

stillrunners, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

IMG_6382.JPG
    Can't let this go by without having Clem Waske, cartoon-sign painter extraordinaire and Road Rambler member getting his pix in here as well. ;). IMG_5827.JPG These pix are from 1941-43. It was Kool for him to be stationed on the Melville in San Diego and get to keep playing with his Hot Rods.
    There's houses all around this area now, but it was wide open when he tore up the town.

16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This is a shot of a Hot Iron/Gow Job in the 30's
    IMG_0798.PNG

Joe Blow, Stogy, rod1 and 5 others like this.
  17. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was taken in 1940. Wendell Bays in Kellogg Idaho. (My Brother in Law Nelson's Dad)
    2017093095160714.jpg
    16's. Kelsey's in the back. Big & Littles. Headlight visors. Mud flaps...Door is replaced. Cool Bikes too.

echo ed, Stogy, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  18. Hill340 - that looks like a 31 Slant window Cabriolet....like wow......

19. KKrod

KKrod

Don, any idea how many roadsters were running around the city of LA but weren't driven at the lakes? I am curious about how many say 1932 roadsters there were that were hot rods but not driven at the lakes? Thanks for all the great photos and information.
    Karl

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Stogy likes this.
  20. A BVille and lakes runner.......and a date car later on.....1932 roadsters weren't cheap even in the 40's my uncle would say.... the # 5 entry full pic.jpg 1950 bville time slip.jpg Scan9_0009.jpg

21. Squablow

Squablow

These pics are of my friend's flight instructor when he was much younger. I am hoping to meet him and hear more about this car and hope maybe there are more pictures. I really like the '33 front end on the 30/31 roadster body, even if the install is a bit crude. The pictures are just too perfect!

20170929_164101.jpg
    20170929_164052.jpg

22. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dig the "Sex Machine!"....

23. KKrod

KKrod

Wow stillrunners! I've never seen that roadster before! It looks beautiful with fenders and without. There is a lot of attention to detail. Do you know any more about the owner?

24. My uncle's....he built it during 1948/49 - missed BVille in 1949 waiting for the new improved flow Sharp heads and Navarro's new 3/2 intake. By 1955/56 it was full fendered running an Olds/hydro compo. It's pictured at my grandpa's last shop in Sacramento. It was maroon early but he was talked into that new 1958 Chevy color by the late 50's. He still had it in 1962 stored at a friend's garage - Harold - who bought it about then and sold it soon after....my uncle remembers it was 1964 when the new owner stopped at his house to have him sign over the pink slip and in/op papers.
    Met Harold at my uncle's funeral - that's his daughter Kim on the running boards.

Harold's 1932 he had early on and had to sell. Scan8_0008.jpg Scan10_0010.jpg Uncles roadster.jpg Harold's 32.jpg

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the Hamb's best threads...it's author and architect has left but his legacy will continue to inspire through word and photograph...RIP Rockerhead

Regards, Stogy

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would just like to also pass on thanks to the others of which there are many who have added their own connections with stories and photos to this great historical thread. I always say you don't get this diverse a collection of facts just anywhere...

27. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Awesome thread!
    Thanks everyone

Bobby

KKrod and Stogy like this.
  28. Dan MacPherson

Dan MacPherson

well, dang it I can't get ahold of Mr. Montgomery any longer, but the May 1938 SCTA program (WC book) shows an ad for "Precision Motors, 1150 E. Colorado Street, Pasadena, Calif." I thought that might be Tim Timmerman's business. If not, then who??

Stogy and oliver westlund like this.
  29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

What a great read!

Stogy likes this.
  30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal