Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FIXING HOLE ON FIREWALL TO BLOCK GAS FUMES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joseangel_1976, Feb 15, 2019.

1. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Hi guys I have a 62 cadillac and got an exhaust leak :( Going to fix it soon, but I also have a hole on my firewall wondering if anyone recommends anything I can use to seal it? Can I use a foam sealer from the hardware store?[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 6sally6

6sally6

A piece of that foam rubber pipe insulation would prolly work. Its already split down the side.
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'm struggling to give you a decent opinion due to the quality of the pic.
    You got a lead light or something that will improve your pic???

4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

grommet comes to mind and it is traditional.

Tim and gimpyshotrods like this.

5. The right size grommet,the right size hole cut for the cable,splice it so it will fit over the cable,fit it in position then a touch of silastic to seal the slit,done!

mgtstumpy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  6. Got to love photobucket

Stogy likes this.
  7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I’ve used that roofing tar mat rolls to great effect for both covering holes, suppressing heat and noise.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd and nochop like this.
  8. I frequently find myself standing in a dim lit garage with an LED flashlight in one hand and a camera in the other. Works for me.

Charlie Stephens

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

i think at macmaster carr you can buy any size grommet you wish. or, google up grommet and go shopping

10. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

What the old timers called was dum dum, the stuff that the factyory used to stuff around holes thru the fire wall, Butyl tape is what it is, the windshield tar like rope it comes in different sizes.

11. It's still called dum dum at my local auto parts house.

jimgoetz likes this.
  12. I patched a lot of holes on my Ford's firewall. It was a complete re-wire so I had holes to block off. I made aluminum stock (.040" thick) and pop-riveted them on. Seal the perimeter with RTV after the paint was put on. Some patches I made up with grommets so I could run wire bundles through them. I bought a couple of grommet assortments, eBay and Summit.

13. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

What up guys wanted to thank everyone for their input. I wanted to buy the 3M black tar calk, but would be a couple of days before i got it and desperately wanted to cover up the hole. Today I ended up going to Home Depot, bought a grommet cut it to where it could fit missed it by a couple of inches so it had a small gap, but went ahead and applied
    Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant on that small hole, and also went ahead an applied the silicone around the grommet. I'm living it overnight and see if it works.

14. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Just wanted to update everyone today looks like it did work for a bit, BUT I can still see some smoke coming inside the car. I have no idea what's going on, but tomorrow for sure gonna take it to a muffler shop and try fix and find the leak or maybe just replace the whole exhaust system.

15. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Found out I had a cracked vacuum that vacummed went into my firewall old vacuum for my AC that I don't use so most probably was going thru there too. I cut the vacuum cut it and resealed it and presto its good for now. So far no smoke coming thru cabin. Will update everyone. Also, two muffler shops told me I have no exhaust leaks. So most probably be trying to seal up the firewall holes.

16. Grommet that is what it had originally was a grommet. Before you ask Ace Hardware.

You could also use a product called Dumm Dumm that refrigeration mechanics use, it can be purchased at any plumbing or refrigeration supply.

17. big john d

big john d
    from ma

maybe not good for this but if you need a real good grommet for a wire to go through your firewall try a rubber vakve stem drill the hoke pull it in cut of the insert end a very stout grommet

18. jazz1

jazz1

for that pic I would get my tube of seam sealer out, fix it right now.

19. Dirk35

Dirk35

Google "Rubber Firewall Grommet".

https://www.google.com/search?q=rub...ocvgAhVBhq0KHZ2BAeMQ_AUIDygC&biw=1226&bih=542

Please take a little extra effort and get the correct product (don't just slather some sealant over it). You need a rubber firewall grommet. To install it so you don't have to disconnect the wire and feed it through the grommet, just cut a slit in the side of the grommet and slip it over the wire. Use a dab of gasket sealant or silicone to keep it in place on the firewall.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  20. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Duck tape has been around since WW2 so it must be traditional right? I've heard it called 200 MPH tape at Bonneville.

21. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

I went ahead and bought a grommet at home depot and did what u said cut it and put it over the wire and put some sealant on there. So it's covered up now. I'll take pics tomorrow. I might put some of that dum dum stuff later.

22. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My 37 Buick straight eight used to fog up the inside of the car till I replaced the road draft tube with a pcv valve and now all the vapors go in the engine and out the exhaust pipe. Even my wife doesn't smell anything anymore and she can smell a sparrows fart 100 yards up wind.

23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-2-21_4-1-37.png
    Here is an altered view of the dark, original photo.

Hello,
    This is a pretty large space. After any grommet is in place, a sealer of some kind is still necessary. Back then, it was Henry's roofing tar, which smelled, but eventually the smell went away and sealed it completely. Today, there are plenty of different sealers that work just as fine.

One other place that could be the culprit is the steering column. In our 40 sedan delivery, all of the little holes were sealed and we still smelled some kind of fumes. we were stumped, until a neighbor mentioned the steering column.

We found a leak that we sealed immediately, but more years of use broke the seal again. the sealer on a moving part is temporary unless a solution could be made. The hot rod industry did not have as many creative minds doing research and development on the smallest things. But, in all of the cars we have owned and worked on, something like this would have helped, since no one thought fumes would be coming through this area.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/steering-column-seal.1129176/#post-12822210

Jnaki
    If it were around back in the 60s-70s, we would have purchased one for each of our 40 Ford sedan delivery columns.
    upload_2019-2-21_4-33-54.png upload_2019-2-21_4-33-22.png

upload_2019-2-21_4-24-47.png
    upload_2019-2-21_4-25-1.png
    upload_2019-2-21_4-28-41.png
    NO, I do not work for JJ's shop, but he is a HAMB member and we all like to support HAMB members in their efforts. (perhaps a commission of sorts? Ha!)

24. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

thanks for the help everyone. I went ahead and sealed some of the holes on my firewall. I put a sock over the oil cap to prevent the spreading of oil i have a bit of blow by lol also i checked my valve covers and ended up putting some sealant on one of my bolts. only problem now is just checking my heat riser which might be causing a leak in the exhaust. i might take it off & put a spacer. for now once the engine is hot i get no leaks.