Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HAMBer engineers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King ford, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Keep at it, it's like seeds and takes a bit to get a harvest

2. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I have a master degree in sycopatholigy, mostly night coarse work. It keeps me from being asked to social events and fund raisers.

King ford, Fordors and alanp561 like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Reverse Engineering

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agricultural Mechanization, huh? So you wouldn't have a problem getting my 9N Ford tranny back together, would you?

5. 4tford

4tford

Electrical Engineering. Got started with electronics in the Army on the Hawk missile and turned it into an engineering degree after the army with GI bill. Funny how getting drafted in 1966 turned into a career path in electrical.

Just Gary likes this.
  6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nah, Bones and I already have the "crack of dawn and broken hearts" taken care of.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

While at the Fire Dept I had to “spec out “ fire trucks. Dealt with a lot of “ engineers”. Some good, some not so good. The thing I noticed most was that they had terms for things, were I had to describe it..... I told them that the wheel base needs to be long enough as to the front and rear bumpers won’t drag going across a dip...... they said what “angle of regress and egress do you want? “ or something like that, it’s been a while. Wow! They had a name for a problem that I had observed! They would say ten gauge wire is big enough to carry this current.... I would say, yeah ... now, but how about ten years from now when I still have the truck and the wire has been wet a thousand times and I had to add something...... give me eight gauge , just to humor me. Things like that. After many trucks and years, we got some pertty good trucks.

Bones

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I'd taken it apart, I could surely put it back together. Getting one in a box presents a whole other problem, however.

9. LBCD

LBCD

My parents believed I would become an architect or an engineer when I graduated HS (85). My brother went on to Long Beach state to be a civil engineer. I was the kid who sat in class drawing and doodling Instead of being a good student, so it didn’t happen.
    At 18 I got a job as a helper in a sheet metal shop and I’m still working in the trade today (Local 105)....it has been a wild ride and I’m thankful for been giving the opportunity back then. My trade involves engineering in the manufacturing of duct systems, I have designed a few systems myself over the years. We still layout the old way. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    As far as there being a lot of females in architecture and engineering these days, my daughter (21) was a 4.6 gpa student in HS, great at everything but especially math. She is an amazing artist, her drawings are out of this world!
    She is in her 4th year of architecture at Cal Poly and she loves it. I’m stoked she loves it, nothing better than being a parent and watching your child bloom into something they were born to be.
    I remember watching a talk show back in the day and the host introduced a man who worked as an engineer. She asked him what field of engineering did he work in, he replied...a sanitation (trash man) engineer, made me laugh a little.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When I married my second wife, she worked at our towns school, taking care of all the money that came into the school... and thats a lot of money. All of the students knew her as the “ lunch lady” because one of her jobs was to collect money for meals at noon.
    I told her I couldn’t marry a “ lunch lady”...... so I told her, her new title was a “ Nutritional Economist “....... worked for us. lol

Bones

Clay Belt likes this.
  11. Ziggster

Ziggster

Mech Eng here with 30 yrs. Luckily I grew up in a hands-on environment and love to create/ build stuff. Unfortunately, most engineers I have met over the years are book smart and have next to zero hands on experience. Even today in an office environment, it frustrates me to no end to see "engineers" make the simple complicated just to show how "smart" they are. Like in the USA, here in Canada, we are supposed to wear an iron ring on the pinky of our working hand, but I haven't worn mine for most of my career as I just don't want to stand out as an engineer for prides sake as many who wear it are quick to point out.

12. Graduated Fresno State in 1972 with a BSME. Just retired from a career as a Petroleum Engineer in January.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I worked with a lot of PEs , that literally could not put both hands on there rear if you turned out the lights . They were designing Natural Gas Distribution regulating stations . These would be designed in a cubical in an office with no windows . The general area where I is very hilly to say the least . Most of these stations were designed to be near , a Natural Gas Transmission Pipeline , and would need a team of pack mules to get you and tools to , for inspections and repairs . I ask one the question “ why did you design this in such a God forsaken location , when you could have went a 1/2 farther away and been in fairly level location easy to access . “ My answer was “ the paper I designed and drew this up on was level at my desk .What is the problem you are getting paid well to install and maintain it .” I’m thinkin who is the smart one here ? I was a working engineer , my license was required to operatate and maintain the equipment I used and maintained daily . Most engineering grades , do not have a clue what you do in the field and what it takes a poor working stiff to maintain it , nor do they care . It’s their job to design it and that’s it .

14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Sometimes I think engineers trick themselves into thinking they have to use the "latest and greatest." Case in point was the temperature control on the '88 Chevy pick up. Instead of a simple slide lever, you had to push a button, then watch a cursor dance across a screen and double push the button to set the temperature anywhere between min. and max.

Ned Ludd and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  15. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

bad engineering1.jpg May want to be careful about admitting to being an engineer around a bunch of mechanics. ;)

Clay Belt likes this.
  16. Mr.Norton

Mr.Norton
    from Sweden

Work as a Mechanical engineer in sweden, for 35 years now
    At the moment for a company who developes steel sheet rollforming machines
    Take a look at our website if you like
    https://www.ortic.se/3d/Technique/

My big interrest for old cars and motorcycles has helped me alot also in my profession
    You cant be a good mechanical engineer with only theoretical skills I guess...
    Nowadays its all about computers... unfortunately, so nothing feels better then to go home, out in the garage and do some work on your old cars
    Hank

Oilguy likes this.
  17. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Industrial Designer/Mechanical Engineer
    Been concepting, designing, and engineering all types of Products, packaging and automobile stuff since 1968. Have the degrees in all , Psychology, Six Sigma, Business management, etc. I am still working because my mind is still producing! I have over 12 patents on a wide scope of objects.
    I started drawing cars in grade school and modifying go carts, bikes, and then cars. always had something in or out of the garage to mess with and learn. A jack of all trades. I learned to work on things by curiosity and willingness to fix and repair. Weld, body, engines, suspensions, chassis, and even paint. I do not do interiors but I can sew!
    All have seen my 1940 Chevy that started out bone stock. It ended up a Goodguys winner a few times and always got me there and back. I enjoyed it for over 20 years and found the right buyer last year who saw all the custom work that went into it. He too was a retired engineer. B4andAfter.jpg B4andAfter.jpg Chevy Front 9_17.jpg

King ford, Ned Ludd, j-jock and 4 others like this.
  18. So who's up really up on top of their game with physics?

King ford likes this.
  19. wow!!

20. pitman

pitman

21. squirrel

squirrel

Classic or quantum? :)

Sent from my Trimline

Just Gary likes this.
  22. I am a frustrated engineer, which is a degree I just now made up. Everywhere I look I notice components that can't possibly do what they were designed to do for much longer. This is because there are lots of actually certified engineers who's jobs are to examine everything to see if anything is overengineered and to shave as much strength off as possible to save a nickel on each part. Their goal is to build in an acceptable ratio of warranty expense versus the pennies saved times the units sold. The mantra is "Overbuilding Is Evil".

My apologies to all you fine engineers out there in the Peanut Gallery. I've grown skeptical in my old age. :confused:

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just love Dilbert cartoons, they have engineers nailed down perfectly.
    Them along with many other business practices in big corporations.

It’s all hilarious and rings of a lot of truth too :D:D

Just Gary and Clay Belt like this.
  24. Fordors

Fordors

Frustrated engineer? That reminds me of the constipated mathematician, he worked it out with a pencil.

25. Possibly both and some relativity :cool::D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  26. The comment about being in the top math classes and auto shop at the same time was also for me in high school. I even tested out of the first year auto shop, and nearly the second year. But there were a few things the second year program that I was not knowledgeable enough in. So it was a really easy class since I already knew more than half of the info. I built an OT V8 Vega when I was a senior in high school, then made some continuing improvements while in college. It was a nice practical college car, lol. I had 2 cars at the age of 17, my daily driver OT 68 GTO, and the project V8 Vega.

I also worked my way through college, part time during school working at auto parts store, the real old fashioned kind where we actually had books to look things up. Summers I would get an engineering type job to make more money and also get some resume points. In college I actually took one of the automotive technology courses for fun, it was me engineering major and the rest auto technology major students. Most of them were planning to become auto shop instructors.

squirrel likes this.
  27. F&J

F&J

Ok, a person goes to college, never works the trade..... yet then goes on to be a auto shop teacher? What a fucked up system.

King ford and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Neither architects nor engineers are taught nearly enough history these days. It's rare to find either with a developed critical take on history. Hence the "March of Progress" passes without question.

King ford likes this.
  29. A couple of guys I went to school wound up as instructors. One of them was real sharp with the nuts and bolts thing.