Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. loudbang

loudbang

2. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

John Fitch, not Finch

loudbang and enloe like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

4. loudbang

loudbang

5. If I remember correctly that car/display was found in South Africa after decades of storage.

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scotty I seem to remember that it sold at auction for some crazy money in light of the fact the car is a static display and is not capable of running.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  7. noboD

noboD

Wasn't that the chassis that was just at the Muscle Car show, MCACN? I don't think te body was there.

8. I think I could be driving it in a few hours!

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  9. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scotty, if you had a large pot of coffee you may be able to change the drivetrain etc. I seem to remember the engine and driveline is a bunch of cutaways.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You just know the gold chain bunch would drop some serious coin on that regardless of its practicality, would be a great centerpiece in your man cave....if you dig that sort of thing.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  11. OK maybe a weekend, I’ve got plenty of spare parts.

enloe, 31hotrodguy, jimdillon and 2 others like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. elgringo71

elgringo71

@Corn Fed owns this one. I would love to hear more about it and how he found it and see more pictures. What a time machine.

2967C2A8-50AA-411F-A748-0F946EADD695.jpeg

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jason a guy in my car club owned the car. He had me go with him to buy the car last summer as he needed another project. He had a 67 427 coupe he bought from Rick Hendrick but that car was perfect and he wanted a project. I sold the car on behalf of the widow. If I had been in the market for a car I would have considered the car for sure but I think it is in good hands now.

Chris (Cornfed) may want to chime in himself. The car was from Pennsylvania I believe and it was put away in 1975 I believe and had not been driven since. The car I think is pretty cool and came with a bunch of parts. I believe Chris may have some plans for the car but he may want to fill in the details.

15. elgringo71

elgringo71

That is a very cool car. Thanks for the background information on it Jim. I should have guessed that you would know something about it. Hopefully Chris will give us more information on it.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and enloe like this.
  16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

As Jim said, he helped me get the car this past fall from the widow of his club member. I have spoken with the prior owner "John" a few times since. He bought the car from the original owner in 1970 in Philly. It had a 283 3spd, but after a few months of driving it like that, it wasnt fast enough for a 22 year old. So John bought a new complete '70 Vette LS crate motor and 4 spd and put those in. He also raised the front with some spacers. A while later he ended up busting the spring pads off the rear end so he replaced it with a 12 bolt from a Chevelle. About this time he also did the lace paint himself and had the upper half of the door panels done with some extra padded upholstery.
    By 1975 he had bought another Vette (I think a '70?) so he parked this one and never drove it again. It still has a 1976 Penn plate on it. Over the years he had bought up a bunch of NOS chrome parts that came with the car. My son and I got it to run this fall, but it obviously needs the brakes and other mechnicals gone through. My plan is to get it road worthy, put some American 5 spokes on it and enjoy it some while collecting parts to eventually put a 409 in it.

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did this come with the car?
    I think you meant LT-1, if so, that is quite an engine.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

The 70 ls engine was a 454/365hp if I'm right. Just like the chevelle ls6.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

It's the hipo LT-1 350 that was for the '70 Vette. Sorry, I'm not a "late model" SBC guy....LOL! It has the factory low (high?) rise intake and Holley 780 on it. The engine number is CA142844 V0317XCD. The 4spd is the cast iron case Super T-10.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  22. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

23. elgringo71

elgringo71

Wow Chris, thanks for the response. That is a very cool car. Congratulations on getting it.

24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Not sure how I feel about the 58 done by Barris. The XP 700 nose is not too objectionable to me, I actually like it in a way but this style nose shows too much of the front suspension which I believe detracts from the front view. The fins are out of place in my opinion but then again we all have different tastes. That being said it does have some historical significance (which people may debate) and it is good that it was preserved. I would much prefer to look at this car at a show than the rows of pure stock cars. At a show a few months ago I did walk across the event to look at a stock yellow with white coves 58 but it was the color that caught my attention more than anything. The Corvette tent has a few factions with stock and actual competition cars and race inspired and slightly modified and customs and I suppose we all have a place in the tent-I hope. I guess I would park this car in my barn-if I only had the room and the money.

25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Jim,
    I always felt that way about the front end on the XP-700 and similar cars. You have a fairly streamlined front and then you open up the nasty looking suspension and underpinnings for the world to see.
    Probably the most irritating thing about the resto crowd is the feeling they exude that everything but a numbers matching perfect restoration is a lesser car than any other iteration.
    The Corvette has never been a perfect car. Modified versions come closer to perfection in their owner's eyes. I wouldn't cut up an original or restoration to make a drag car, but I would take a basket case and build one that would make them cry. Then sell the basket of leftover pieces to them to pay for my toy, and laugh all the way to the bank.
    By the way, that is exactly what I did in the early '70s.

26. loudbang

loudbang

1964 GM style attempt by Bill Mitchell

hot 1corvette_gm_styling_coupe_1964.jpg

The 1964 Worlds Fair Corvette Coupe also by Bill Mitchell

hot 2Also by Bill Mitchell - The 1964 New York Worlds Fair Corvette Coupe.jpg

27. Deuces

Deuces

Very cool!!!.... :)

loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

This that CX that went on to the altered type car?

hot CX .........JPG