Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm boxing my '30 Model A frame . . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PetesPonies, Feb 18, 2019.

1. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

For those who have build a Model A Rod before . . what might I want to do in regards to welded nuts inside the frame, before I box it? Where should I place some, what should I calculate first, decide what I'm using here or there . . so as not to have a "aw shit" moment later when installing something and wished I added an internal fastener. It's a '30 Pickup, going to run a 289 and a toploader. Front and rear brakes will be drum. Any insight?

2. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I'll take that as nothing to worry about?

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm welding either nuts or pieces of steel I can tap for the body mounts, running board mounts (so I can remove them), and a few other areas. On the plates themselves I'll have a couple areas that have spots for mounting hangers, fuel pump, etc.

4. Usually weld flange nuts inside for the body mounts and running board brackets and a steel plate to drill and tap for the hood hold downs. All the line clamps can be secured by drilling and tapping the boxing plates(tek screws work too).

5. I've used flanged nuts and regular nuts. I welded them in for all the factory body, running boards, fenders, everything even if I'm not sure if I'm going to use it. The box plate is good enough to drill/tap for the line brackets. On my current A I went with boxing plates with holes so I can get a wrench inside.

6. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Thanks everyone. Yes I thought the front cowl mount would be a place for an internal nut. I'm not sure if I am running fenders, running boards, etc. But you have me thinking. Thanks

7. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Not sure why you would need to weld your front cowl nuts inside the frame when the bracket is attached to the outside of the frame? But then again I don't know if you have plans to channel or not.
    regardless, I use these and find them easy to add during the build as needed.
    http://www.colemanracing.com/Weld-Nuts-P3980.aspx

BradinNC likes this.
  8. Front cowl mount is thru the frame, rear cowl mounts are on the side of the frame, just sayin
    front holes.jpg
    Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  9. Put it together. See where you bolted everything on, Blow it apart and weld nuts where they need to be then add your boxing plates.

10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Can't really argue the point since the last Model A I built was 1972.

11. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Those weld nuts are pretty neat. I've always just used a regular nut and welded. But I like those. So on this topic, I have a question and pictures. I placed the cowl on the frame and have an alignment issue. The rear outside cowl mounts are over the brackets and bolts dropped through. However, the front hole does not line up, and off by a considerable amount. Not knowing enough about these vehicles . . what's going on?? cowl alignmnet.jpg cowl alignmnet2.jpg cowl alignmnet3.jpg

12. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I found this on an old thread. Perhaps this is my answer.

"The A pillar mounting bracket on the outside of the rails was relocated to accommodate some of the coach built bodies on later frames. It was moved exactly the distance between the two holes on the bracket so the earlier body styles would still fit, but only one body mount hole was used..."

13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I used an assortment of plain square nuts inside my rails. Easy to weld without burning through. Tack the plates in place, mock it up, pull the plates and weld the nuts on the backside. Even did it on the body bolts and it worked great.