Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chainsaws ??

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by MoePower, May 29, 2018.

1. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Chainsaws anyone ???

IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG

2. I have several that don't run,I had no idea chain saws were collectable. HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. hotroddeuce

hotroddeuce
    from Mi

couple I have both sears, had more but moved them always held on to these 2 for some reason.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  4. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Only to weird people like myself . . . . these are what they started out as . . . .

1952 Titan Sportsman
    IMG_0419.JPG

1957 Strunk Speed Demon
    IMG_0559.JPG

5. Those speed demons need to be on a go-kart

VANDENPLAS and Old wolf like this.
  6. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Patent print 1527736560999.jpg

. . .

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  7. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Add one more to the collection . . . . .

IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1037.JPG

Okie Pete and biggeorge like this.
  8. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

9. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Oh yea, few friends of mine used to pull at the antique tractor pulls up there going back to the 80's. Lot of parts saws hanging up those rafters.

10. I have several chainsaws most are newer. I have some old sears a Canadian, A C51 homelite a pile of Xl 12 homelites and a few others. Its been stated stated if you have one or two of something you just have them. If you have three your now a collector.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

This is my mothers. She's 102 now and doesn't use it any more. The story I got was MacCullough had a surplus of Mac 15 go kart engines and used them up on chain saws. It is a bit heavy, very LOUD, and cuts through wood like hot butta.

[​IMG]

12. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Yep! Got one of those as well, they didn't have much of a "muffler" on them.
    Mine was junk so I made a new one.

IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0667.JPG

Okie Pete likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that somewhere in my mom's shed is the blue 50 something MacCullough That We had when I was a kid and used in my teens. I had to rig a piece of tubing on it for a handle after it fell and the handle got broken.

14. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

As a kid Dad had a David Bradley. All I remember is it was a 4 cycle, large, heavy and had a manual oiler.
    I would help him hold it. I remember being scared the first time. It was idling, Dad said "Are you ready"..."yea Dad"...then Dad... "Okay!...big Daddy's gonna drive Momma home!"

15. Ok I got pictures the first is a Homelite. The Second is a Pioneer. The third I haven any clue It has a bit of blue paint. forth are several XL12 Homelites I actually used them about 50 years ago. 5th is a Sears Like the one Hot Rod Duce pictured in his post. ^th is a Poulan and last pic is another unknown. I have a few more I need to dig out. I dunno why but I just didn't want them to go for scrap. chainsaws 001.JPG chainsaws 002.JPG chainsaws 003.JPG chainsaws 004.JPG chainsaws 007.JPG chainsaws 005.JPG chainsaws 006.JPG

16. I dug out 4 more today. All of these where running when stored a few decades back.. They still turn over I thing a carb clean points and spark plug and they would still be usable.The first is a Pioneer. Next is a Canadien. Third is a old Homelite ZIP. The last is a 1960's Homelite C7 I bought new to cut big cypress timber chain saw 004.JPG chain saw 005.JPG chain saw 006.JPG chain saw 007.JPG it had a 30 inch bar.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  17. I went to a auction today. and for $5 I bought another chain saw to add to the collection. Its the same make & model Poulan 306A that Leatherface used in the Chainsaw Massacre movie way back in 72. I pr massacre chainsaw 001.JPG massacre chainsaw 002.JPG imed the carb and got it running. the carb needs cleaning.

j-jock, VANDENPLAS and Okie Pete like this.
  18. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

For anyone that has worked on a car/truck engine, these chainsaws are a kick and a half to port. A 2 stroke is so simple, it has a port for the intake and a port for the exhaust, and you can hot rod your chainsaws by using a dremel and opening up the ports to give them more power. It is so easy and simple compared to working on a car engine, I get a real kick out of it.

These are 3 of my faves. The middle is is pictured below when I bought it and did the work to it, it was diagnosed as blown from a shop the seller had taken it to.

chainsaws.jpg

This is what it looked like when I bought it. I used draino to clean off the aluminum from the cylinder, the lye eats it off and leaves the nikasil/steel clean. The parts for most chainsaws are pretty cheap at places on the www like Bailey's.
    350-piston-exhaust.jpg 350-piston-intake.jpg 350-exhaust-port-start.jpg 350-exhaust-ported.jpg 350-muffler-mod.jpg 350-reassembled-left.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  19. In my opinion the Huskvarna are among the best chainsaws made. I bought a 55 rancher new in 2000. and never to this day have touched the carb. Only a new spark plug and air filter . and a lot of chains & sprockets. and a new bar. I cannot get along with a roller tip bar. Cant keep the chain on a roller tip bar. However I file the teeth and drags and get as much use as possible from a chain. My old rancher all the vibration isolation has deteoriated and I have it held together with a tarp strap. Yesterday at the same auction where I bought the Poulan I also got for $10 a 55 Rancher. Today In going to junk it and fix my old 55 and put it back in service. Ive also got a 286 Husky that the electronic iginition has failed. And a almost new 435 that I bought at a estate sale last fall. its not as good as my old 2000 model.

20. Well today was a beautiful day. I set out in the sunshine drank a beverage or two and took both of my 55 ranchers apart. The gas tank was leaking on the one that I bought new. So I tore the $10 saw down and installed my piston and cyl on it. and used the best parts of the two to assemble one saw. and I took my time & cleaned everything . And It was successful I now have my favorite chainsaw working like it did when it was new. Yesterday when I bought the saws My wife just shook her head. She even told me you have enough chainsaws. You will never do anything with the ones you bought today.

21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Old Wolf, I got a two man saw, way back in one of my junk barns. I think it’s a McCulauh. Ten horsepower, if I remember right. It has handle bars like a bike and about a four foot blade with a handle at the opposite end. Too far back in the barn to get a pic.

Bones

22. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

She even told me you have enough chainsaws. .[/QUOTE]

In my house I would have answered that with you have enough shoes and purses! “Next subject” my wife would have said!

My wife and I have had a friendly banter for years about shoes and purses versus cars and guitars...lol. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf likes this.
  23. I seen one of those two man saws at a auction once. It sold for more than I was willing to spend. Ive began collection walk behind garden tractors. I have a Monkey wards midland with a sickle bar. A Choremaster single wheel that has cultivator. and yesterday went and bought a Gravely with a mower blade on the front. The Gravely has a weird engine. It has a removeable cylinder separate from the crank case, two camshafts. One valve on each side of the cyl. intake on one side exhaust on the other. I went a 100 miles one way to Mountian View get it. Its big & heavy. I hauled it on the sling of my wrecker. Made the rear brakes stink on my truck going down a steep mountain grade. I blame the organic brake shoes.

Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Gas powered sickle bar? Now we're talkin'...let's put a V8 on it...:rolleyes:

Those two man chainsaws always go for way more than I would want to pay also, I think they've more novelty than anything else. A two man crosscut saw without a motor is a different story though, a pretty useful tool.

I have an old Stihl 041 Super that is kinda cool...This is like a Harley, it just rumbles and shakes you apart...o_O

041-right.jpg 041-super-top.jpg

Old wolf, Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Bought 75 when I was doing a hoarder clean out a couple years back. Took the bars and chains off them and put them on that big auction site.
    All makes and models and most had engines that didn’t turn over. All sold for decent bucks.
    I buy every one I can find as long as it’s under $10
    A junkyard near me has over 40 in a school bus and I am confident they will be in my truck this spring.
    I don’t buy the two man saws. Mall was a common brand as they take up a lot of space and are hard to sell

Old wolf likes this.
  26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1777.JPG IMG_1778.JPG
    I found these 2 last week .

27. The Midland is pretty rough. needs tires and some parts are frozen with rust. I have the AU8 Continental engine that came on it. No compression so I pulled the cyl head. No piston or Rod! The bore and crank look OK but parts for them are hard to find. M walknig tractors 004.JPG walknig tractors 005.JPG aybe I will install a big old chain saw engine on it?

28. [​IMG]Thought you may like to see these.;)

29. A few months back I bought a XL 12 Homelite at a auction for $10. Reciently this fall I got it out and put gas in it. And it actually started and ran. Doesn't idle . So I found a bar & chain and red side cover in my hoard and have been using it . Its loud enough to make my deaf ears ring. manual choke & manual oiler. No vibration isolation. makes your hands and arms feel funny after about a 1/2 hour. Ive used over a dozen like it. Some where Lombards and one was a Barker. Still have them all in a pile in a old Metro. I get a kick out of it. XL 12 001.JPG XL 12 002.JPG XL 12 003.JPG

Okie Pete likes this.
  30. I have approximately 20, most are runners, none restored. Most old saws can be purchased for between $20 and $70, except for some like the Husky 2100 or the Stihl 056 Magnum II, which can go for over $350.
    I have 9 Macs, going back to the early 60s, 3 2100s, one of each Stihl 041, 051, 056, 070, all of which are operational, and a bunch of others including big Homelites.
    I used them for clearing land, dropping large trees, making lumber, and cutting firewood. Now I just use an old Shindaiwa and a Husky 380 for oddball stuff. Homelite_XP_Powermaster_1000_lh_s.JPG Stihl_056 AV Magnum II_lh_s.JPG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Okie Pete and Old wolf like this.