Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical POLY 318 Distributor Clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moonman29, Feb 19, 2019.

1. moonman29

moonman29

I finally ordered my RTR distributor from Pertronix for my poly 318 that is in my avatar. The issue I'm having is that it will not fit with the Weiand intake I'm using. I bought this intake from Summit about 15 or 20 years ago when they were still available and never installed it, so its still a new manifold. I also have an MSD distributor that did not fit thus the reason for getting the Pertronix unit. I would really like to go with a ready to run distributor so that's why I decided on this particular one. The interference is less with this one than the MSD, so it is a bit smaller in diameter. Should I grind some clearance in the distributor to make it fit? I really do not want to modify or grind the intake especially since that area of the plenum is not particularly thick at all. Or is my only option staying with the stock type distributor and using an electronic unit instead of the points. I have attached pictures showing the interference and a picture of the hole alignment showing how much the manifold needs to go towards the back.

Attached Files:

2. swifty

swifty

I have run that manifold with a Du-coil distributor with no problems then switched back to the original Edelbrock tri-power. Du-coils for a 318 Poly are getting hard to find so that doesn't help you.
    My other car also has the Edelbrock tri-power but with a Mopar Performance electronic distributor.I assume that the Weiand manifold will work with a standard Mopar dissy, either electronic or standard points type.
    How about fitting a Pertronix module in a standard points type dissy? Whatever you use the body of the dissy needs to sit higher above the block than the MSD or Pertronix units.
    I've got the manifold, a set-up block and a points type dissy that I could check it out for you if you want.

3. earlymopar

earlymopar

I have the same manifold and had a similar issue with an Accel 52301 distributor and I had to switch to an OEM electronic distributor that I converted to HEI (you can't tell from the outside that its electronic and it's not at all like the large diameter HEI distributors you see for sale). Somewhat strangely, the Accel 52301 Distributor fit fine with the Edelbrock 3-deuce manifold I used previously and I had no issues.

I'm just completing a conversion of my Weiand 7503 manifold to mount a small roots-style supercharger. I'm 100% sure my manifold was an early or initial prototype in that it does not have any of the manufacturer graphics that they normally have and the casting quality was not at all good. Lots of voids and casting defects and it simply has "7503 stamped on the bottom of the manifold.

- EM

4. moonman29

moonman29

That's what I was thinking of just using the original distributor with the Pertronix conversion. I have to have to grind, file, sand a brand new part and still not work. The factory one does have plenty of clearance.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would send the distributor back and get my money back. Then use the stock distributor, rebuilt as necessary, with a Pertronix conversion if you insist. There is nothing wrong with an MSD or Ford thick film ignition module triggered by points.