Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford AOD question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strangepanel, Feb 10, 2015.

1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like said before an AOD has a mechanical lockup, everytime the direct clutch is applied a shaft to the torque convertor creates a mechanical lock with the convertor. An AODE has actual lockup convertor, but not an AOD

2. Gentlemen,

I wanted to finally provide an update. Weather has been nicer and I managed to have someone check and tighten the tv cable on my AOD. That appears to have fixed the issue. The shudder during coast has almost completely disappeared. Now if I can just fix this idle vibration so it stops loosening my fender bolts and AC connections I'll be in real business.

3. My 66 fairlane has a 84 302 AOD and it wont go into OD till i hit 55 then it will ingage I get great milage and runs hard in town. love it.

4. Coming back to this thread. I just got my truck back with the rebuilt engine. Now that I have something that idles smoothly I can see that some of that shudder was possibly the rough idle of the motor pulling on the tv cable. That issue is completely gone now.

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Thanks for the feedback, I run an AOD behind my 351w and it works pretty good. I set my AOD pressure with a gauge and the tranny worked good from the start. I run 3:50 gears in the rear and I feel that I need a 3:73 gear, the RPM's are too low in OD for a blower motor.

6. Randy Caudell

Randy Caudell

My problem seems to be relevant to this thread, sorry if it's not. We build street rods, mostly trucks and have run into a bug with the AOD. In my stock p/u, it works fine, just as it's supposed to. We have put 3 into street trucks and they all seem to hunt between OD and the lower gear in town. I wondered if it has anything to do with the push button circuit on the shifter, which we are not using. It's not a big problem, but some of our customers are a little disappointed with it, and if we can stop the hunting, it will be a big plus for our business. Any ideas, or am I imagining things?

7. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

When I put my AOD behind my Y Block I adjusted the TV cable the way Ford did it .at idle or closed throttle there is neither tension or slack on the cable .then to test it I put the spacer Lokar has in the kit and a pressure gauge on it and the pressure is right on .i also put in a shift improver kit and the shifts are all smooth but firm .im also running a 373 gear in the rear end.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Mine will not go into 4th under 38 miles per hour and on deceleration it will downshift into third at 32

Clay Belt likes this.
  9. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Push button circuit on the shifter? For what??
    An AOD has no electronics in it but a neutral/reverse light switch. Operation is all mechanical hydraulics.
    Torque converter is in direct drive in 3rd and 4th. Meaning there is no hydraulic action in the converter, just like a manual trans.

An AOD-E/4R70W does have a lock up converter and the hydraulics are controlled by a computer. There is a switch on the factory shifter to lock out OD.
    Bill

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

I had basically the same issue on my Morris Minor with a H.O. 5.0 with a .512 lift Comp Hyd. roller cam and an AOD. It felt like it was lugging below about 55 mph in O/D . I had a 3.00 gear in it and 295/50-15's . I swapped it for a 4.11 posi chunk from Speedway. It was like a whole new car .
    I had been manually downshifting around town to keep it from shifting into O/D . After the gear change it would go into O/D not lug or hunt back and forth.
    I could still cruise at 70 plus on the highway and knock down 20 plus mpg's. 0520131953a.jpg

11. mark latham

mark latham

I really dig your wagon! What all is involved in putting an AOD in your car as far as the bellhousing, flywheel, starter, and making the speedometer work? I've been trying to decide between an automatic with overdrive or a T-5.

12. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I bought an adapter from Bendtsen's speed gems .it comes with the adapter from block to tranny and adapter from crank to flywheel and the starter and all hardware to install. The starter is a mini starter, the same one you can buy for Chevy, you just remove the adapter plate and starter bolts up directly to the adapter. then and can use a standard speedo cable I have electronic speedo so used the signal generator for the speedo. The adapter kit will fit Y blocks as well as Fe blocks and any small block and or modular engine transmission as it has dual bolt patterns.I also used an explorer rear end that I narrowed to the proper width and used a 2006 crown Victoria police driveshaft all I had to change on the shaft was front yoke as the AOD uses same as c4 and other trans .the police car used a larger output shaft on trans. I love the aod. I have a 3.73 rear end gear and in 4th gear at 75 mph the engine is turning 2400 RPM.and it has good acceleration with the lower gears

mark latham likes this.
  13. mark latham

mark latham

Thanks, seems pretty straight forward, think I will use my snow day to price it out!

14. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

The adapter kit is pricey but it's worth it

mark latham likes this.