Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CA Title Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Feb 19, 2019.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm considering purchasing a complete '36 Ford project. It was last registered in 1985 per the seller. He has a CA title for the car but it isn't in his name. The car was sold by the owner of record and ownership was never transferred and then resold again with no transfer. The current owner has a bill of sale from the person who purchased the car from the owner listed on the title. Before I try to get an answer from the DMV I'm wondering what others have done in similar situation. Not sure if a DMV licensed title person would be the way to go or just bite the bullet and check with the DMV. What I don't want to do is what some have suggested and just act like I bought it from the person named on the pink slip. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Is the current title in NON OP ? if not you could have fees back to 1985.Call Karen's Kar Klearing in Hesperia, 760-948-1698.Tell them title can't be found.Get a receipt of purchase.The current lic fees will be based on that and 8% sales tax added.Bill of Sale is like a can of worms.DMV also.Her fee at the time was $50 + licensing fees.Is the VIN number on the frame clear enough to read?You will need to trailer the car to them and they handle the whole 9 yards.I bought a '35 tudor a few yrs back(now sold) from MO.No title ,only a bill of sale. I called them.They read the VIN and came back as no record found.I had my title in 3 wks.I used her many times when I lived in Oak Hills(top of Cajon pass).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Pewsplace and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. informative thread ..... and good to know

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. Title isn't on non OP but back fees aren't an issue based on the older than 25 years exemption in the vehicle code. Vin verification requirements have recently changed in CA but I'll give Karen a call.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

If it is 'out of the system' there will be no back fees on a vintage vehicle, but they will try to ding because counter people do know what an old car is.. AAA is best.
    If it is out of the system you could throw away all that paper work and file for a missing title of a vehicle that you have had for over 20 years that you were restoring and just happen to lose the title,,,, as long as the vehicle is not stolen, or still registered in some old owner's name,,, that happened to a friend of mine after he finished his 50 Merc,,, seems brother sold sisters car that he had in storage,,, my friend had to contact the woman and work out a deal.
    Take what you have to your AAA and ask them,,, if you go to the DMV they will start the paperwork and if something is wrong, they will have you as you 'started' paper work, the AAA will just tell you something is wrong and hve you work it out.
    Ask for Gina at the Redlands AAA, she should be still there.
    Contact me,,,,

olscrounger likes this.
  6. MikieOne

MikieOne
    from California

If the car has plates being what ever size & color you just might loose them to DMV as the car hasn't been registered lately, and very well you will have a set of brand new (currant) plates or unless you want personal plates or the likes.
    As far as the title being the way it is you not getting it from the owner on the title and having your name/signature on the backside and a receipt of purchase there will be some/extra fees you will be responsible for, how much that would be up to the DMV rules of a transfer ship like you have. Yes the words above coined "(can of worms)" might be in the cards.
    Case in point I had a truck that I bought (knowing it would be a salvage title) with the title from the original owner and with the person I bought it from signature signed on back but they never transferred it in there names but currant fees were good, no bill of sale between them but my purchase from him (signed person on back) I had a bill of sale. Took all that to the DMV and money spent was just over $423 but this was done through the DMV the correct way, the $423 was a little high but the salvage title was most of the fee. I am not sure of the way with a third party involved but its your money and at least the way I did it no one will be knocking on my door form the Police or the DMV.

That,s my story and I am sticking to it! LOL

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

You can try Shellie's Registration 1-951-218-4959. She's based out of Yucaipa and has helped mo out and several of my friends.

8. Cars in Ca that havent been registered in 5 years are out of the system,and require a CHP safety inspection to get back on the road.I would try a title service first,but in the end if the title is signed off,and you get the inspection they should issue title.I wouldnt bother telling them about any owners other than who"s on the title.Tell them you have had it for years,and just now got to the project.

9. I've done it 2 ways, either you fill out a statement for facts for all the sales (minus the one you bought it from) or just say you bought it from the registered owner. It's gonna be hard either way, if you want a cleaner (but more expensive) way then go through the registration services.

BTW, where's the pics ?!?!?!

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A guy told me he got an Oregon title then transferred it to Ca.. No idea how big a pain the butt that is or what he had to begin with, maybe someone can elaborate.

11. XXL__

XXL__

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm aware of Gimpy's threads which among other things makes me concerned. I'm going to try to look at the car on the way home from the Big 3 meet if the seller is available and then decide how I'm going to proceed. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

13. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Easy. Nothing to worry about. Just take the signed title in and get process started. Will need a vin verification because out of system. Find someone to come to your house to do it .Chp appointment s can be months out

14. If you cant get it done in CA for some reason consider another state.In Wi DMV is by mail.They dont inspect out of state cars.You do the MV1 form,and mail in a check.Done. Last year I got a model T that hadnt been registered since BEFORE WW2.Sent a check...got title,and plates. A buddie of mine tells me when he moved from Ca to WA they didnt inspect his car...just took his money.Once registered in a non inspection state get it running,and tell Ca DMV you just brought it in to state.The DMV clerk will look at the VIN,and then take your money.I brought a 32 PU in to Ca from Wi,and that was all they did.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

There must be some documentation involved, you can't just send in the form and a check for any car and get a title can you? Prior title?

XXL__ likes this.
  16. I got lucky,and they still had the original title.The last registration paid was stamped.....1930!. The title looked like a 19th century stock certificate .Figured up the sales tax on the form,added the fee for plates,and mailed in a check.No inspection required to get back on the road.Three weeks later the new title,and plates came in the mail.Let the build begin. I still spend part of my year in Ca,but the car part of life has moved to Wisconsin.They also have a program for barn find cars.Take photos of your parts pile to show what your building,and mail in a check.Local cop does a safety inspection when its road worthy,and your done.Ca just makes things tough for hobby guys.Using a Title service is likely the easy way out for OP.

blowby likes this.
  17. jazz1

jazz1

"Local cop does safety inspection when its roadworthy." That's like no inspection. Handy for the guy who has not budgeted for worn brake and steering components.:D

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Please read the new Verifier rules for CA starting January 1, 2019. I think someone published them on here in January. We use a lady who handles it all and charges $200. Done deal.

19. exterminator

exterminator

I third it for Karen.

20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

All I can say is I'm glad I live in a state that doesn't worry about titles on cars over 25 years old, just a bill of sale.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Me too Dave!

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update. I ended up passing on the '36 but pulled the pin on a '54 Ford ranch wagon. The seller didn't have a tile BUT he did have a registration card form 1967. With the bill of sale from the seller and the old reg card, Shellie at Shellie's Registration in Yucaipa came to my house, verified the VIN and handled everything at the DMV. $44.00 in DMV title only/PNO transfer fees and $175.00 for Shellie and I have a reg slip and the title should be here in a couple of weeks. Shellie's fee of was the best $175.00 I've ever spent. Thanks @51 mercules for the referral. And thanks to @gimpyshotrods for info in prior postings about changes in VIN verification rules.

23. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Cars used to drop off the computer here in CA till they realized they were giving away money in the way of back fees and penalties. I would say since the 90s sometime that the cars have not dropped off record in a reliable fashion like they used to. I think in the OP case 1985 is probably ok...and the car is off the DMV database. So I agree with the others about DMV service companies like Karen and others. You WILL NOT have to get a safety check...don't know what that is all about. Not the regular course of events. If your car was salvaged, junked or some other weird case, will you have to get a brake and headlight inspection. The last place on earth I'd ever take my car to get vin verified would be the CHP...unless, I had to. Lastly the guy that said he bought a car from MO, and that a DMV service company checked with I assume CA DMV and found no record on file...to that I say DUH! CA and MO probably dont exchange information like that. Could you imagine if when you checked record status at your local DMV, that it ran a nationwide search? They dont do that. To sleep well at night, I'd a done a lien sale on that out of State car.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  24. Binkman

Binkman

It's getting tougher all the time to deal with the Calif. DMV.
    I had our local verifier do a bunch of frames for me years ago and it turned out to be a wise decision.
    I was able to use all of them except for my last one for a '36 coupe.
    I refuse to deal with the Calif. DMV.
    They called me for Federal judy duty a while back, I don't have one of the new drivers' licenses so I can't get into the federal building. I told them to send me a license and I will show up.
    Go ahead and arrest me for not appearing.

Black Panther likes this.
  25. spanners

spanners

Pardon my ignorance. When you refer to having to pay back taxes when registering a car what exactly is the amount? Over here in Australia you drag a project out of a paddock, bush or shed and when completed front up with the engineer's report, pay the rego and green slip (third party personal insurance) put the plates on and away you go. As one of our dopey politicians is fond of saying "please explain"?

26. I haven't watched too closely but to the best of my knowledge it goes like this. Let's assume you have a 20 year car that has been parked in a garage and not used. Unless you placed it on a "non op" (non operational) status with the DMV you are responsible for all of the annual fees plus penalties and interest. It runs up fast and could easily go into the thousands of dollars. I believe there is an exemption for vehicles that are more than 25 years old. I bet our politicians are more dopey than yours.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  27. spanners

spanners

Thanks for the explanation. I can see how that could run into big money. I just sold a '34 Chev sedan that I'd done nothing to in 20 years. Good thing we don't have those taxes over here. (I hope no-one over here in power is reading this.)

28. Remember, this is just the way we do it in California. All of the other states make up their own rules. The good news is if you get a non-op it is not a problem and they have the exemption for the older vehicles. As I said this is the was it was the last I looked, you really need to check each time and see if anything has changed.

Charlie Stephens

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

3 years is the maximum back registration penalty if it's not in non-op status, and that's assuming it's still in the system. And yes, there is an exemption for old vehicles, but often you have to bring it to the attention of the DMV employee, and have their text, which is on the web, printed out to back you up.

gimpyshotrods and LOU WELLS like this.