Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC 350 Tri Power

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lilmo630, Feb 17, 2019.

1. lilmo630

lilmo630

wicarnut, AChopped1950ford and Deuces like this.
  2. old school rodder

old school rodder

I set up a tripower on my SBC. I used 2GC carbs, plentiful, cheap, easy to rebuild. Still working out Gremlins. I used Speedway bases for the outer carbs, progressive linkage. That makes it easy to setup. Engine ran good on the dyno... Builders choice on carbs.

Willy_P and OLDSMAN like this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Do some google search on the Super 97s it may shock you.

Gman0046 likes this.
  4. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I’m running a Tri-Power setup for 3 years now on my 283. I chose a setup with Rochester carbs and progressive linkage. After some growing pains in the beginning with some jetting and some adjustment issues, I now love the way it runs and sounds when you kick in the secondary carbs. After running a 4 barrel setup on my car for many years, there are a few things a little different in the was you drive the car.

With the 350 make sure the carbs you are choosing are enough CFM to run properly. The Stromberg or Holly 94 style carbs might be a little low on CFM’s.

If you are looking for performance than a good 4 barrel setup will out perform the Tri-Power.

With the Tri-Power you can’t just punch the throttle right out of the gate. There is to much fuel for the engine to handle at low RPM. In my 283 I need to be around 2000 RPM for the engine the handle the extra fuel.

The fuel. Economy with the Tri-Power and progressive linkage in better than the 4 barrel as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle. You run mostly on the center carb until you want the extra power from the secondary carbs.

There is a lot of fuel setting on top of your engine so it takes a little extra care to insure the setup is in good working order. I check often for fuel leeks, maybe because I love the looks and nostalgia of the Tri-Power.

After the initial setup, I have had very little issues with running it.

Hope this helps with your decision.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vic Walter, WC145, Deuces and 13 others like this.

5. F&J

F&J

I steer local people to genuine GM tri-power carbs with proper cast iron bases & thicker throttle plates on the outboard carbs. The outboards simply must seal completely and reliably....every single time.

These small base 2g were OEM on later 50s Olds, Chevy 348, Pontiac and Cad .

I've had many since 50 years ago and all ran sweet. I won't touch the homemade ones...IMO, there is no real good reason to start with converted carbs.

6. That's just the secret, end carbs, GM style that work correctly
    With that it's simple and easy and well performing

Willy_P and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some 'sticker shock' on the Tri-power from Speedway site.

Being 'around' for some time, I also have had many 'tri-power' setups, and four different 4-juggers on flatheads. (296" and larger) Stromberg 97s on the flatheads.

My 'tri-powers' were, as Frank (F&J) recommended, always Factory Based. (that is, all of them had factory bases, and all the factory innards...)

If we had 'check engine' lights on our dashes, more problems would appear than are taken for granted...vacuum leaks, leanness, unburned hydrocarbons.
    These are 21st century 'faults', so now when some idiot spouts off about something he knows little about, (usually carburetor/electric) I inform him that he's emitting unburned hydrocarbons. Heh, heh...

I have a nice Edelbrock 3 jugger for my 283 SBC, on a shelf under some carefully stacked goodies. Carbs in a box, all apart, got them that way.
    I remembered this setup coming off brother's 327 in his roadster pickup; the manifold being Edelbrock and carbs being Rochesters.
    Checked it yesterday...Edelbrock allright, but with 3-hole flanges??!?
    Carbs turned out to be Stromberg 97s!
    See how the starting senile mind plays tricks on you? Still a 'deal', as they were a gift.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  8. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I wouldn't waste my time or money on a Speedway Tri power set up. A single four barrel will out perform it all day long without the hassle or cost.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

A small block chevy has been the traditional solution to the crappy flathead since 1955. 3 deuces are the definition of Traditional Hotrod. Sure there are other ways to make power. Dont care.

Vic Walter, WC145, Hombre and 11 others like this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have had 3 Holleys on an FE Ford . My Buddies have had 3 GM small base , and GM large base , Barry Grant Six Shooter on a Poncho . Never used 3 97s and don’t ever care to . Every set up I have ever tuned worked , but the all had on issue or another to deal with . The best drivable car with a carb I have ever owned or tinkered with had an Annular Discharge 4 barrel Holley . It worked sweet as honey . The biggest issue I see with a Hot Rod is people over carbing , the basic engine is an air pump , you move air in and you move air out . You can’t move more that the engine will take with a normal carb or carbs . It causes issues you will be forever chasing . I will say they look for 3 carbs says HOTROD with capital letters . Good Luck and think about your choice and how you much you want to tinker or enjoy cruising . Listen to me I know best , I own a kickstart , oil leakin AMF Harley ! LOL

12. lilmo630

lilmo630

Thanks for all the input guys! After some research and reading all you guys comments ive decided to just go with a 4 barrel. Although i really like the look of them, i don't want the issues that may come with 3 carbs.

13. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

IMG_0001 (1).JPG IMG_0002 (1).JPG IMG_0003 (1).JPG IMG_0004 (1).JPG .............I built and ran this set up for years, never had a problem .......ever !, kinda miss it , was a lot of fun. It never stumbled when you floored it, it sure did scream. Had a friend machine the fuel log out of a block of aluminum. I always liked the air cleaner also.No rubber fuel lines, glass fuel filter. I also used leather accelerator pumps, once I got the jetting right, I never ever had to take the carbs apart, I loved this set up, if done right you would be happy with tri-power.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    WC145, 47ragtop, Rolleiflex and 2 others like this.
  14. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ see above

Elcohaulic and Gman0046 like this.
  15. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

16. X-cpe

X-cpe

Maybe so, but a single four will never look as cool or hot roddy as three deuces on a hoodless car. Nothing is too big a hassle if it satisfies our inner itch.

WC145, Mahty, Nitroholic and 8 others like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am amazed that there are no books on the subject. I have looked and I guess there is a code of secrecy surrounding the black magic of mulicarb tripowers. I have a 3x2 manifold just waiting to go on my 327.

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  18. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

OK , a lot of information in the magazines about proper tri-power set up , have to go out and see which ones, in the mean time ...you tube.........look up Charlie Price tri-power, every thing you need to know are in his videos.

Willy_P likes this.
  19. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

Also .........Tri-Power carburetion , Warrensburg , Mo 660-909-4908, sells a nice tri-power set up, very nice guy , very knowledgeable and helpfull. google tri-power carburetion.

20. 6sally6

6sally6

One of the "biggest-hand-full" of GO I ever had was driving a 440/6pack Dodge!
    Was rolling about 30mph or so and pinned the accelerator. Torque Flite down shifted to Low gear about the same time all 6 barrels opened up!!:eek: Got out of it about the time the rear-end swung up beside me and....my wife's screams got louder than the 6-pack's screaming.
    Quite a rush!!
    6sally6

WC145, catdad49, Willy_P and 4 others like this.
  21. thomas.parker197

thomas.parker197

The leather accelerator pumps are a must at least with the early 2gc/g. Otherwise you get a stumble.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AChopped1950ford and Roothawg like this.
  22. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I might make a suggestion, buy yourself some good core 97's or 48's. Learn how to rebuild them and adjust them. It will allow you to take care of business if you ever find yourself on the side of the road...… I ran these stromberg 48's on my coupe for 8 years...………
    [​IMG]

McPhail, Deuces, oj and 5 others like this.
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have talked to him on the phone. Nice guy.

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Tri-Power = Kool Factor IMO. Back in the day 60's had a 348 with factory Tri-Power, added mechanical progressive linkage, rebuilt carbs myself, ran great. Years back was thinking about the Speedway tri carb deal for my 32 coupe with a 350, asked everyone that I saw had it about them and common response was leaking, jet change screw area, was fixed with different type o-ring I was told, simple fix and by now I'm sure problem has been corrected. Go for it if that what makes you tickle, that's what our Hobby is about. Good Luck ! Be Safe !

25. F&J

F&J

Ignorant statement. Before you get all upset with that word, it comes from the word "to ignore". Look up the FACTORY HP/Torque specs on all the GM cars that offered trips, then compare to the single 4 in each year. You are wrong.

Specs on Carnut.
    http://www.carnut.com/specs/index.html

Pick any Car make by decade first/then the year, and look:

Examples below: 58 Chevy and 57 Olds...both using Rochester 2G trips Vs. Roch 4GC

Chevy
    V8-348 4 Barrel 9.50 comp ratio 250 HP@ 4400 355 Torque @ 2800
    V8-348
    3x2 Barrel 9.50 comp ratio 280 HP @ 4800 355 Torque@ 2800

Olds
    3x2 Carb J-2 V8 371 9.50 comp ratio 300hp @ 4600 410 torque@ 2800
    Super 88 4V V8 371 9.50 comp ratio 277hp @ 4400 400 torque @ 2800

Hassles? again, blowing smoke.. Some people here have used trips for decades, some can't even understand points ignition.

We can thank Nascar for "Factory" Tri-Power setups, they were developed for that reason..."Racing" &.... winning.

rocket hot rod, WC145, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Says the man with a '60 PONTIAC? Are we talking stock iron or aftermarket?

27. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

28. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

I've been running and drag racing three Stromberg 97 carburetors on my 327 chevy for many years. It's likely true that a modern four barrel carburetor is more efficient than three Stromberg's, but if you are interested in the cool, old school look, it's hard to beat three deuces. I also use progressive linkage, so I run around on just one carb (two barrels) which is very smooth and responsive. But when you floor it, you can really tell the difference.

Hombre, OLSKOOL57, Willy_P and 2 others like this.
  29. Granted, limited to only Rochesters on GM stuff. I've never had an issue and they are extremely simple and reliable cool as can be and one hell of a kick in the ass.
    Never experience a hassle or a tuning or drivability issues that was not normal adjustment, or general maint.

Multi carbs on a MC have given me a fit or two.

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Not to hijack the thread, but are the bases from Charlie Price at Vintage Speed the same ones that Speedway is selling?