Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Miss Taboo - 56 Chevy custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Taboo56Chevy, May 22, 2018.

1. belair

belair

What a great story. And great cars have great stories.

loudbang likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Miss Taboo is one one gorgeous car isn't it guys, it really proves what people have said for a long time, about the number of high quality cars that have come out of the PNW.
    I generally don't get too mushy about this stuff but the old statement that "it's also about the people, not just the cars" truly fits here.
    I've never met the OP, CJ's grandson but though I haven't seen CJ in quite a few years, I will say again that CJ is one great guy and is passionate about the hobby we all share.
    My dad was not into cars so to say I'm jealous of the relationship these two guys have would be an understatement because this is truly the epitome of a "car family".

54delray, Stogy, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  3. Well for 2019, so far the only show currently planned for Taboo is we will be hauling the car down to Medford, Oregon for the Medford Rod and Custom Show in April. So if anyone on here is attending that show hope to see you there!

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and LowKat like this.
  4. Came across some neat photos in a box last weekend. A few shots of Miss Taboo on the drag strip at PIR. Taboo was blowing the doors off a Turbo Bird.

IMG_20190209_0004.jpg
    IMG_20190209_0001.jpg

Then came across this garage shot of the Show truck my grandfather built after selling Taboo, You can see Taboo in the driveway though. Ron would have my grandfather do the tuning on the motor.

IMG_20190209_0002.jpg

5. Love this thread, did i miss what color blue miss taboo was painted? Love that color!

loudbang likes this.
  6. The color is called Celestial Blue metallic is the color she is currently wearing.

7. awesome thanks for the response. i will look that up at the paint store!

loudbang likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that is a car that you can't have too many photos of. Here are the ones I took at The Portland Roadster show.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My camera was a bit in love with the car. I'll have to say it was one of those OH crap moments when I saw it because the last time I had seen it before I was 13 or 14 at the Seattle show.

54delray, Stogy, David Gersic and 8 others like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add this one to that list. Red Rage after Paul Haper restored her including installing a new top to replace the one that had been cut off to install a bubble top. This was at the Run to Roslyn and was the first time the car was seen publicly after it was restored but not quite finishe as the gent kneeling is Bob Jasper who was figuring out what he was going to do on the interior.
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking this and most of the cars on the list were shown at Seattle together.
    The Buick may not have been sectoned yet in 1959 as I saw it one year unsectoned and the next sectioned. The car is now in the Portland area and painted a pale orchid.

10. I know exactly where that car is. One of my friends from high school grandmother ownes it. It was part of the Papa’s toys car collection out in Cornelis Oregon. It was for sale for $125,000.

11. Wanting to give an early heads up for the next show we are heading to with Taboo, we will be heading south for the Medford Rod and Custom Show April 20-21. Hope to see some HAMB'ers at the show.

[​IMG]

12. 'Mo

'Mo

I always assumed the car was originally '56 Dodge Royal Lancer Blue, once a very popular color.
    Is this correct?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  13. yeah that was the color it was painted after the bel air side trim was added. the car was originally Pinecrest Green with a Sherwood Green top. Once the heavier mods came on the car it was painted the Lancer blue. It was the color until the late 60's when it was first restored and then painted black. It was then black up until 1991/1992, then went to a Mitsubishi Blue. When we reacquired the car it was a toss up to go blue or black. We though Black for along time, though if we found a blue that just jumped out at us we would go blue. Thats what happened too, in Beaverton the main drag (Tualatin Valley Highway) is just full of car dealerships for both new and used, my grandfather and I were looking at cars on the lots to look for blues. We wanted a factory color so if chipped could easily be repaired and a car with the blue on it now just screamed custom, so we pull into the lot, figured out what car it was and the color name and then off to the paint store. Even then it was a coin toss at the paint store between this blue and mile deep black.

14. Taboo in the only color photo of its original colors,
    [​IMG]

I have been looking in city records for more pictures of the car in its sheriffs car trim as that was what the car was used for when it was brand new.

15. 'Mo

'Mo

I'm glad the blue won. The new color is beyond perfect!

16. I love the blue as well, but I would have loved the black as well. I grew up with a picture of the car when it was black on my wall and it always was the coolest custom I have ever seen.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. Today is a anniversary for Taboo, 6 years ago today the car came home from with its shiny new blue paint all ready for reassembly. Here a few photos of the bringing the car home that day.

482333_609028039110954_1708962176_n.jpg 299859_609027905777634_194295121_n.jpg 482781_609027855777639_2023658618_n.jpg 31905_609027829110975_2134024586_n.jpg

18. The car would not be close to as cool as it is if it was painted black IMO.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. I am always surprised to find new photos of Taboo from shows we have attended over the years. I was looking through pictures of Sacramento Autorama this year on google and came across this one from when were there in 2016. Great photo of the car in full show mode, lol.
    Sacramento-Autorama-Custom-Tri-5.jpg

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm not really much into "customs"; especially "radical customs", but I don't fault anyone who is. Whatever turns your crank; an expression an English lady I used to work with said frequently; her accent made it sound a little suspect, if you know what I mean. This is how I see and like a 56 Chevrolet, especially a Model 150, pretty much stock appearing but with an updated drivetrain. They're only completely stock once, and then we all add our own touches. Looks to have a rear mounted antenna and fender mounted mirrors; rare for the base Model. I'm on my TENTH 56 Chevrolet, and it's the last unfortunately. It is good to see you're taking such great care of that car, and keeping it how someone built/envisioned it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

wutnxt and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Truly stunning custom, and in good hands again!
    Congratulations on a job well done!
    KK

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  22. Since the car was originally a sheriffs car that might explain the odd mirrors and rear antenna. The car was also a factory V8 3 speed car. This is the only photo of the engine in its somewhat stock form right after the first wreck. After this tri power and finned valve covers were added.
    268147_244206658926429_5824163_n.jpg

I would love to build a clone of the mild version of the car someday. When it was just the side trim changed, nosed, decked, handles shaved, tube grille, lee lenses and dumped on the ground.

263532_244206775593084_7084759_n.jpg 264427_244206642259764_7533691_n.jpg 269867_244206118926483_7425670_n.jpg

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I just went through all 5 pages; you folks REALLY GET AROUND! I keep looking at the "button", at the windshield corner trim piece; is that a key tumbler for opening the doors? That corner trim piece is also unique to the 150 Models; the trailing end is pointed, while on 210's and Bel Air's it is squared off to match the belt-line trim. It's a hard piece to find if you're missing it; course I have a couple of extra sets. Really neat car, cool friends and family, and the history is what I think makes your car special. Hope to see the car "in person" one day. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. Yeah that button is a Ford starter button to pop the door solenoids. That was where they were originally placed when the handles were shaved in 58/59. We thought about relocating the buttons under the rocker for a kick and pull setup but decided to leave them as originally intended as its a pretty good location for the button with the suicide doors.

25. Well a last minute phone call last weekend has us scrambling to get Taboo all cleaned up and show ready for this weekends Portland Roadster Show, the car was asked to be a part of the Cavalcade of Customs feature at the show that has been put together by John D'Agostino and the West Coast Kustoms club

[​IMG]

26. Set Up day at the Portland Roadster Show. Miss Taboo is 1 of 4 "Legends" of customs in the Kavalcade of Kustoms display. The other legends are the X-51 Ford, The Jade Idol, and the last is the Jack Walker Hirohata Merc Clone. On top of that are some other really great customs. Truly honored for the invite to be in this display with so many famous and amazing customs.

IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0149.JPG IMG_0154.JPG IMG_0153.JPG IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0172.JPG

27. loudbang

loudbang

You are in good company. :)

1947knuck and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. I set-up a non HAMB friendly car at the show yesterday and had to snap some photos of Miss Taboo.

Love that car!

2019 Roadster Show 16.jpg 2019 Roadster Show 16a.jpg 2019 Roadster Show 16b.jpg

29. chryslerfan55, LowKat, Sancho and 2 others like this.