Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Human Torch from the Fantastic Four was a Hot Rodder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36cab, Feb 18, 2019.

1. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Johnny Storm (aka The Human Torch) in the Fantastic Four comics was a hot rodder. And even as famous as he was he still got pulled over for routine safety checks just like us! FF 1.jpg FF 2.jpg

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Was that a part of the regularly published comic book or was it a specially done page to promote some organization’s safety agenda?

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a red-headed girl friend, lived three blocks down the side street from Grandma's house. Always ready to go, the perfect roadster copilot. Redheads are said to be 'beautiful or not', this one had it in spades.
    She called me 'Johnny'... Every time she said it, I felt like the 'Torch'!
    Loved the hot rod comics...Did not know Johnny Storm drove a hot rod! Thanks!

4. williebill

williebill

Gotta love what you read on the HAMB.....

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. goldmountain

goldmountain

I had an early issue of Fantastic Four where Johnny Storm had a '53_'55 Corvette.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

He also drove a TR3 in a few issues.....the girls name is Krystal and she also has "powers".....man, I haven't bought a comic book since before the Bicentennial.....Why do I remember this shit?

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice coverage on the Torch. I have been a fan of Archie Comics since I was little and my dad bought them for us at the local liquor store. We did have favorites later on, but the Archie Comics were fun and showed the 50’s way of life. The comic was given the approval by our parents, so they always bought the latest one from the newsstands.

Of course we had the standard Superman, Batman, Plastic Man, and Blackhawk Comics, too. But, the Archie Comics always told us a story that fit our developing ideas and community in those days. It had the parent's seal of approval.

I am sure I learned to read by going through those stacks of comics on a daily basis. They were easily rolled up and hidden under our blankets for those “lights out” early bedtime night activities.

Jnaki

Jump up to the current days and we have been following a fanatsy, dark mystery version of Archie and friends on streaming, network TV. We like reading mysteries and suspense, so we thought this would fit right into our scheme. Who doesn't like a good mystery?

"Debuting in the pages of Archie in the 1940s and lasting until 1983 when it was finally replaced for a newer (and frankly, disappointingly generic) car, Ol' Betsy was a hunk of scrap that was constantly breaking down and generally causing headaches for Archie and company. Yet our hero's loyalty to the car -- not to mention his constant lack of money to trade it in for a more reliable model -- was one of his most enduring traits, and paved the way for countless comedic stories in the pages of the various Archie-branded comics".

The comic based show is called RIVERDALE:
    Archie bought a broken down automotive roadster that he planned on fixing up with his father.
    SEASON TWO: (a 2 two door roadster)
    upload_2019-5-29_3-38-49.png
    RIVERDALE SEASON 3 EPISODE 1
    The new season brought out some changes and it is more like the original comic books from the 1950s era, where Archie had a 4 door Phaeton for all of his escapades with friends.
    upload_2019-5-29_3-41-46.png A modified version of the original Phaeton.

Over the first two seasons, any hot rod was selected. But, someone in the series "property" section decided that originality, or getting as close to the original, would appease the old time hot rod guys and avid comic book readers. It is no longer..."Hey, original Archie drove a Phaeton..."
    upload_2019-5-29_3-54-19.png
    Archie IS driving a Phaeton, 1950's Hollywood style. The SBC sounded rather powerful when he started it up in the show. Props to the Prop Guys/Girls...

9. Clint Curtis was a Hot-Rodder too..........:D 05292019.jpg 05292019_0001.jpg

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It's perfectly logical that the Human TORCH would be a HOT Rodder!

11. dudley32

dudley32

Flame On!!:)

Stogy likes this.
  12. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

In "Fantastic Four, Rise Of The Silver Surfer", Stretch drives up in their latest Fantastic Four-mobile. In this case, one that flies. Johnny stops before boarding and asks "Hemi?" To which the reply was "Of course!" The vehicle had a Dodge grille on it. The fact that it made a turbine sound when it flew off was a bit of a disappointment.

Johnny Storm's back story is that he is a race car driver in his spare time.

In the same movie, Storm drives up to a crowd in the street in a Benz Mclaren SLR. Perhaps not a hot-rod, but a supercar nonetheless. Thing smashes it when he gets mad at Storm.

Stogy likes this.