Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carburetor problem - 351 Cleveland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 12, 2019.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If you have a big cam , and you have verified as best as you can it’s not a distributer issue . I would say the throttle plate is open past the idle slot in the base plate , basicly sayin you have not idle circuit anymore in your carb. If this proves to be true you can fix this by drill a SMALL hole in each primary throttle plate , this will allow the air to enter the engine and allow the throttle plate to close into the slot allow the idle circuit to work again . Google this for a better explanation, rather than the Hill Billy explanation of the issue .

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I though you were a elderbrock guy.

Truck64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Edlebrock = intake Holley = carb. By far many times over the Quadrajet is your best bang for the buck on a Chebbie . Many will disagree , but many still think the world is still flat because they can’t see for the trees . Until you get one tuned properly the Qjet just seems a piece of OEM junk , they are a bit tougher to tune , once you get past that you have one of if not the best carb ever built . Every manufacture used them at one time or another . Again tuning is your friend , read the plugs . There is a wealth of info lookin hard at each one after a long drive . HRP , is your engine stock ? What changes have been made ? The Cleveland is a basic small block with deep breathing heads . Usually it takes 2 sizes richer on the jets to make them drivable over the Windsor design heads.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Was just looking at 351 Cleveland intakes just now. Seems there's square bore, not so square and spread bore carb bases. Since you've mentioned liking Edlebrock carbs over Holley's. Is this a case of a square bore carb on a spead bore intake?

5. The carburetor was disassembled again and made sure everything was clean, I thought drilling a couple of holes in the butterfly plates was nuts but I decided to give it a try when I was certain my problem was not distributor related, I had already decided to buy a new Edelbrock carburetor if this last round of chasing my tail didn't work but It did seem to help along with resetting the automatic choke and idling it up just a little after the car warmed up.

I haven't driven the car far since rebuilding the carburetor and it didn't die at the stop sign.

I'll keep yopu guys posted and we will see if I have it fixed. HRP

Hombre, VANDENPLAS and Johnny Gee like this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

Instead of drilling holes try cracking open the secondarys a bit. Then you may be able to square up the primaries, if there not square already.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you re-adjust secondary throttle plate setting from prior setting? To little to zero can make for rich condition and to much isn't good either because now transfer slot's will always be pulling fuel.

8. Right or wrong what's done is done, I just got back from a trip to town and the car never faltered once, as far as I'm concerned the problem is solved. HRP

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Tickety Boo, Hombre, jim snow and 3 others like this.
  9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Drilling holes in throttle plates officially makes you a Hack ! .... LOL

10. Never said any different! HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What we have here is a common problem we encountered ,often, when I worked for an independent shop. We had two basic type of customers.. one would bring his car in and tell us what his car was doing, the other would self diagnose his problem and tell us what to do.
    To make the second customer happy... we would do what he asked and not argue with him because usually, as we found out, it would not change his mind and just piss him off and we would lose a customer.
    This is what we have here HRP, told us it’s a carburetor problem.... it may be or it may not be.... that’s why we are in the ignition system.... could be the problem...... or not.
    It takes the right amount of fuel and the right spark for an engine to run right! Sometimes they can give the same symptoms!

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Danny, you Hack! :)

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I could send you some band- aids so you can repair other things .........

14. 7AA20CD8-3124-4217-8077-042D6A006E94.gif

HRP you butcher!!!:D

As you said “it’s fixed”
    I feel it’s a carb or vacuum related.
    But regardless your content with the fix and your driving again. I think I know you well enough to say this won’t be a permanent fix.
    Happy your out driving !

15. Brenda & I drove the coupe to dinner this evening and it never stumbled or shut off at the lights or stop signs, I'm happy with the way the car is running and the debate could go on for ever whether the problem is electrical or fuel related, or for that matter if there is a vacuum which there is not, all I know is the car is now running great. HRP

16. Really not necessary, I have a big roll of duct tape. HRP

Hombre and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"There's more than one way to skin a cat."

18. You are correct but after that is when it really gets good. HRP

[​IMG]

ClayMart, Johnny Gee and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm a huge fan. :)
    [​IMG]

Deuces, VANDENPLAS and ClayMart like this.
  20. I'll tell him the next time I see him! :D

[​IMG]

21. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

^^^ I noticed all those bucket hosted pics, all over the intertubes lately are blurry. Are they demanding ransom again?

loudbang likes this.
  22. Oh no! :eek: They blurred out my photo of me and Red Green? Rat Bastards! :mad:

For at least a year they've been sending notices about this change in their business model. They've just recently started sending out "final notices" of their plans taking effect.

Don't know that it's ransom really. It's more like a business that's spending their money to provide a service and trying to make a profit for their efforts. Whether or not they succeed remains to be seen. :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. sunbeam

sunbeam

I know you said it cleared up Two things I look for is the carb idleing on the transition ports and if its hot is fuel percolating in the lines or float bowls.

24. 7 months later and it's still running great, no problems. HRP

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Refresh my memory. What is their business, exactly? Hosting other people's photographs, I get that part.