Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cobra 289 Competition Car rear body section

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Grant, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Hombre

Hombre

I have done a couple of search's on these early Cobra's after seeing this post. It is interesting what you find out about the early cars. I see no way to "Get into hot water" over this rear clip. Man its just car parts you don't register the rear clip. I also don't know how good of an idea money wise it would be to try and build this into a Cobra again. The cost would be very high if it was even possible, and in the end what would you have really? I also doubt if there is much a market for parts like this, I sure could be wrong about that, but I have never heard of a original Cobra ever needing something like this. The old race Cobra's were built and rebuilt all of the time. That is almost were this piece had to come from.

In the end it is a very interesting conversation piece, I personally wouldn't do anything with it but hang it in my shop and dream about the --What Ifs--

rjones35 likes this.
  2. slowmotion

slowmotion

A rear quarter for a Cobra sold here at an estate/body shop auction, maybe 10 yrs ago for I believe $10K or there abouts. It was for a street 427 car.
    Never uncrated. Word was they waited so long for the quarter, they eventually fixed the damaged one & shelved the new one when it finally arrived.:eek::D

49ratfink likes this.
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

This is interesting as all hell. Please keep us updated with what you learn.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool piece of history even if it just spends a lot of time hanging on your wall or someone Else's wall as a piece of wall art that they paid you some serious coin for.

On the other hand I don't see how you would get in "hot water" if you built a replica and used the rear section and made it clear that it was a replica but had that authentic rear section. Still if metal is as good as it looks in the photos there is probably that one owner of an early Cobra out there that has a damaged rear section that can really use that rear section.
    I'd sure like to find out it's whole history though as that should be really interesting.
    I remember my first and probably only encounter with a Cobra or GT 40. Back in 1966 I talked my dad into taking a ride up to to the Ford Dealer in Lake City Wa one Saturday so we could look at the new Cobras and GT40 coupes they had on the lot. Two or three new Cobras on display and a couple of GT 40's Quite impressive to a 19 year old working at Boeing for 2.75 an hr

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Hnstray likes this.
  5. you just need....
    1/2 dozen sheets of aluminum
    planishing hammer
    shear
    English wheel
    lots of hammers
    a shot bag
    tig
    lots of time
    and borrow a glass body for patterns

VANDENPLAS, upspirate and Hnstray like this.
  6. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

I thought I seen a front clip some one made on ebay but could not find it again

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  8. will a S10 of CV fame fit it?

BAWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

tommyd, mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. I have learned a lot from all the interest and direction on this Cobra 260 Competition rear body section. Not only are there a slew of photos of CSX2014 that Skip Hudson drove in the 1963 Daytona Continental Race on February 17, 1963, but even more photos of the body buck that was constructed on the original CSX2014 Chassis to build the 1964 Cobra Daytona CSX2287, which is well documented in the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s. When I searched Cobra Daytona buck, a series of photos of the rolling chassis with the body buck appeared as it was being transported to California Metal Shaping in December 1963. I worked for Bill Honda at Cal Metal Shaping in late 1979 and the building was the same way in 1963 where the Cobra Daytona was skinned. Here are a few photos I found on the internet. The last three photos were taken in the back room where most of the hammer work was done. The photos are also from the Dave McDonald website. Very cool.
    CobraDaytona10.jpg CobraDaytona16.jpg CobraDaytona2.jpg CobraDaytona5.jpg CobraDaytona14.jpg CobraDaytona15.jpg CobraDaytona.jpg

10. see
    I told ya
    go get some aluminum

VANDENPLAS, 48fordnut and Hnstray like this.
  11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Anything new on the saga of this rear clip?

12. So far, I have found a differential center section, a chassis from an early Cobra with the appropriate worm and sector steering box, a 1962 Ford Galaxie BW T10 transmission, an early 1926 Ford 260 V8 engine core and some instrument panel switches. I am still looking for other key pieces like a Spalding Flame Thrower distributor for a Small Block Ford V8 and 4 Weber 48 mm IDM carburetors.
    Thank you for the interest.

13. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

David, any updates on this? I would be very interested to hear if you have found any more information.

The37Kid likes this.
  14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Why is this even Hamb relevant?

49ratfink likes this.
  15. You do know that Carroll Shelby was a hot rodder, don’t you?

16. Got some early sbf valve covers, oil fill timing cover and a generator with mount if any of that helps

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I'm well aware of that.....this forum is about hotrods and customs. I consider the cobra to be a muscle car or flat out slalom type course racecar, to me it doesn't belong on here....my opinion only.

49ratfink and nochop like this.
  18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, David;
    Please keep on posting info n progress on this. Some of us get it... & understand WHY!
    Marcus...

19. That’s right
    This is a hot rod/custom site
    Why would hand built cars fitted with larger engines and suspension mods be allowed. Especially since it was modified to turn right and left at high rates of speed
    All hotrods were only supposed to go in straight lines

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Very interesting story. The history and stories on these old cars and parts is a lot of what keeps my interest. I love it when a story unfolds. Lippy

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

What lippy said ^^^^. Looking forward to updates.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Mike

Mike

Whatever you do, don't look at the "Hot Rod Sports Cars" thread.

Lighten up, Francis.

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I get it guys, you like cobras and I don't......I'll stop littering this thread and let you enjoy it!

49ratfink likes this.
  24. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

25. Carroll started early.

th2_sc50.jpg

This was one of Shelby's cars that was sold after he passed away, It's on topic. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  26. Shelby talked car companies into funding his car addiction

Pure genius

27. Had Carroll Shelby's previous enterprise been successful he might have been remembered more as a spokesman like Harland Sanders. HRP

28. XKTbird

XKTbird

Peter Brock remembers the still bucked CSX2014 going to Italy. That was the last
    time he saw it and thinks it may have ultimately been scrapped.

chriskopp and loudbang like this.