Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model T Speedster....... my take on it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottoparts, May 25, 2018.

1. It was highly recommended to run a heat shield. Also when you look at MG's (which the SU's are off of) they all almost have heat shields on them. As this is my first time playing with SU's, I thought it wise to follow the instructions of my friend that works with them all the time.

brEad likes this.
  2. Quick work tonight. Made the bracket to hold the master cylinder for my front brakes. 20190118_211706.jpeg 20190118_213201.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Been watching since you started and really enjoy the build. Could you please share the make and model of the remote reservoir MC? It looks like it could go almost anywhere!

4. GuyW and brEad like this.
  5. After running it for a bit we worked on the master cylinder set up. Welded on a tab to the brake pedal arm and made a push rod. 20190120_142554.jpeg

Stogy, flyin-t, Nailhead A-V8 and 2 others like this.
  6. Sounds similar to a Model T. Nice work!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know very little about SU carbs, but will they get a balance tube? Bob

8. Balance tube was made and is now hidden behind the heat shield.
    20190106_145853.jpeg

Stogy, barrnone50, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  9. After tinkering with it on the run stand, this past weekend we put the engine in the chassis. 20190217_075325.jpeg 20190217_112736.jpeg 20190217_112747.jpeg 20190217_140355.jpeg 20190217_140406.jpeg 20190217_141432.jpeg

Stogy, flyin-t, brEad and 9 others like this.
  10. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Out of curiosity why did you choose not to run an oil pump? On my build I will be pressurizing the mains, running dips on the rods, and a bypass to the cam. Are you running a stock camshaft? I am going to be dropping in an A cam with a T nose, slight confession the cam was tweaked by Sherman. I do like your paint on the head and if I get too tired on mine may paint it the same.

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. No real reason, just choose not to. I'm using the stock camshaft.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Goofing around mocking up stuff. Threw on both a late and early lower radiator apron. The early one is installed wrong. Threw on some air cleaners to see how far they'd stick out. Also try to decide if I want knock offs or not 20190219_173000.jpeg 20190219_174324.jpeg 20190219_180903.jpeg 20190219_180912.jpeg

flyin-t, brEad, Nailhead A-V8 and 2 others like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the early apron, shows off the early spring mount, I my mind knock offs of that era would have two ears, not three.:) Bob

14. I'm with Bob on both points- and with the talent you've already shown, mocking up a mini Veda Orr style knock off should be a piece of cake :D

15. dont know how we missed this one but killer work
    thanks for posting pics
    we have a T trans to assemble soon at school, its amazing to see how the early T trans is very similar to an automatic
    This thread will help a lot

thanks

16. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

This project just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to see what the body is going to look like. You are doing some great work.

17. Looks like 1925.

18. Well I put the early apron on properly and I like it. I'm still on the fence about the winged center caps. 20190220_190358.jpeg

Stogy, Jet96, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

I subscribed to this because I really want to see what the bodywork will look like on this car, looking forward to seeing more.

20. Squablow

Squablow

I'm not feeling those particular spinners. But imagine a pair of these on the front wheels, attached to the spindles with a little tapped bolt hole through the center of the spindles so the fins always point back. Wheels would turn but these would stay put. That would look cool and be more period correct, these were bicycle accessories from before WWII. (I have no connection to the seller, just a thought I had)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Ma...44AAOSw6lJbThrl:sc:USPSFirstClass!54110!US!-1

Doc Wright likes this.
  21. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Not a fan of the spinners. Having said that perhaps some locking lug nuts (round in nature) with caps to cover up the indent could resemble a pin drive wheel but then I would go with a buffalo style nut. Of course you won't be fooling anybody in the know (the disc brakes give things away as well..

22. Sorry guys for no recent updates. I'm preparing to move across the US. Some things have been done, other things still in the works. It will be a bit until I upload again. Until then, enjoy this video of my hanging out of my buddies 26 T coupe.

Stogy, Jet96, flyin-t and 3 others like this.
  23. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice road. Nice yield at the stop sign too! :cool:

24. flyin-t

flyin-t

If you said it already I missed it but I'm pretty sure your head is a Dan Iandola head. He built the tooling while he was still in high school and said "the earth shook the first time he fired up his T with his head". lol I have a copy of his little catalog (just 2 or 3 sheets) showing the head and if I remember right he offered 2 or 3 different combustion chambers.

He sold the tooling to a Model T supplier, I can't think which one it was right now though and they just made them with his name removed.

Beautiful head!

240831.jpg

25. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

How did you balance the disc brakes with the band brake in the transmission.
    When the brake band wore down we just used the reverse pedal.
    When you pulled the hand brake back it put the transmission in neutral and engaging the rear drum brakes, are you still using this setup ?
    Still wish I had my T's back. Frank

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Where are you moving?

27. You are correct. From the research I have done this is a take off of Dan's patterns.

28. There is no longer a brake band in use. All braking will be done with the front bakes and yes all other factory transmission functions are in use. I have yet to make the new rods that go from the hand brake to the drums brakes. As I extended my wheel base, I will need to make longer rods to work.