Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Three on tree adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Feb 17, 2019.

1. solo_909

solo_909

Hey guys so I have a 51 merc and just reinstalled the 3sp manual trans.

My questions is what’s the proper way to adjust the linkage. Someone had mentioned that the levers coming out of the colum need to be even when in neutral, is that true?

This is what mine look like in neutral now.
    F53A1F24-70D3-487E-BC32-558247DD95E7.jpeg

2. Dan E

Dan E

Make sure the column levers are even by moving the shifter forward and back. Then make sure the transmission shifter arms are both in the middle (neutral). Then reinstall the rods without moving any of the shift arms.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy, Frankie47 and solo_909 like this.
  3. solo_909

solo_909

Okay, can you explain in further detail how to do that? Like I understand the finding neutral but does the rear arm need to go down or does the from arm need to go up? They should both be even correct?

4. Dan E

Dan E

They should both be even, and when they are, the shifter in the car should move in and out (not up and down) smoothly. The tube inside the column has a square block on it that slides in and out of both shift forks on the column.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

solo_909, Frankie47 and Deuces like this.

5. solo_909

solo_909

I appreciate the video but it doesn’t show me the proper way to adjust them. Do you know how to do that?

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

• Move the transmission into neutral and adjust the first / reverse lever and transmission rod until the lever is at the midpoint of travel; and
    • Adjust transmission rod until the second / third lever aligns with first / reverse lever at midpoint of travel.
    Done as per Dan E (Post #2) Here's a Ford Workshop manual, I gather it would be similar to Mercury, whilst at it, check any bushings for wear.
    upload_2019-2-18_14-47-8.png

The 39 guy, belair and solo_909 like this.
  7. solo_909

solo_909

Awesome!! Thank you.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of you guys just flat work overtime to make something so simple difficult.
    AS they said, take the linkage loose at the column and set both shift arms in neutral on the trans The column is spring loaded so that the dog on the shift tube will slip in the second/high arm. You adjust that one first by first getting the shift handle in the middle of it's up down travel so the lever has equal distance moement on the bottom. With it centered you do as they say in step one an get it so that pin fits back in the arm and it is adjusted then tightnen the nuts without moving the arm. YOU sould be to shift between second and third with the shift lever and back to neutral.
    Then you line the first/reverse arm up so the dog on the shift tube will slide up and down between the arms smoothly and adjust that rod to match. When you go to shift into first or reverse by pulling back on the shift handle it sould move smooth without any hint of hanging up. when you shift into any gear it should go all the way into the gear without an issue.
    Be damned gentle with your shifting as the piece on the top of the tube that the shift lever fits in does not lend it's self to hard shifting. I broke mine the first month I owned my 51 and we tried to fix it and it didn't last but a few shifts.

solo_909 likes this.
  9. solo_909

solo_909

You said “The column is spring loaded so that the dog on the shift tube will slip in the second/high arm. You adjust that one first by first getting the shift handle in the middle”

How do I make that adjustment if the rod has been disconnected?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  10. solo_909

solo_909

I got it figured out. Thanks guys!

Dan E likes this.