Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Leonard high compression spark plugs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Feb 17, 2019.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I have something only the detail freaks would notice or appreciate. A set of 8 Leonard 14 F "High Compression" spark plugs. They're all side gapped, which according to an image search is how they were made. They're 14mm and will fit my flatty once I clean the threads. Frankly I can't remember what I took them out of but they were too kool to toss away and actually fire despite the existing crud. I'm well aware of the 'useless w/out pics' rule so I'll take some later or tomorrow and add them here. I also did some searching for history and all I found was that they're in the Smithsonian in some way and listed/cataloged, but no story. When all else fails the best source is, you guessed it, right here. I'll take all the info that's fit to print. I promise, pics soon. No really, I will.

Quick edit: the Smithsonian has their catalog on file in the the library. Didn't see anything about actual plugs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Photos, that's The Point.

Bob DSCF0004.JPG

Deuces, BJR, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Still Waiting-----LOL Gary:D leonard.jpg leonard b.jpg

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ah I get it, I think. The side gap clears the block/valves/pistons on high compression engines? I had to shim up the plugs in my 60 to keep from closing the gap.

Deuces, dana barlow and loudbang like this.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

No indexing required to boot. Cool!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

That's worth about 5 ponies or better.... ;)

loudbang and slowmotion like this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a kid, we heard about "hi-compression hubcaps", but this a new one on me!

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Anyone interested in some high lift connecting rods?

Deuces, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

OK, when does Soon expire? LOL Gary:D

loudbang likes this.
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I might A-B-A test these plugs and see if they actually make a difference. Yes or no, I think they're kool. Found some old boxes online and they refer to the holes under the wire end as "air cooled". Kooky...
    20190218_165438.jpg 20190218_165814.jpg 20190218_165959.jpg 20190218_165646.jpg 20190218_165753.jpg

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So nobody knows anything about these?

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

I wouldn't mind trying one out on my Briggs and Stratton powered lawn mower.... ;)

loudbang likes this.
  13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry I just have the one plug in my collection and it fits my Harley single. Gary

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  14. I've heard of High Altitude flat heads, but not High Compression spark plugs.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just so it's clear, I dont expect to set an El Mirage record with spark plugs. I thought they're kool, I'm a fan of side gaps, and to see one done that way from way back when is intriguing to say the least. I guess their history will remain fleeting and mysterious. I'ma run em anyways even if it doesn't make a diff. Should be a nice mate to the Holthouse coil.

Lawn mowers, WTF...:eek:

16. Deuces

Deuces

Just kidding..... :D:oops:

loudbang likes this.
  17. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I know they look like they would make good fishin' weights!

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  18. oldolds

oldolds

19. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Bringing this thread back to the top, just discovered this thread looking for info on Leonard High Compression 5-HD plugs I found on a flea market $1 table.

Deuces and BJR like this.
  20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I still have em, still gonna run em, still think they're kool as can be. These came off an old Packard and the guy wanted AC or Autolite (either is correct). I had to have them, "...it's you or toss em in the trash, I don’t want em.." so they're ready for my flatty. Still never found any info or historical references. Should look kool as fk under some Rajah plug tips;)

Deuces, Budget36 and Johnny Gee like this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I think some dumb ass dropped a spark plug, had an idea then became a Millionaire. I mean really??? :D

Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  22. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Found a little snippet from a FB spark plug collectors group. Looks like my 5-HD was primarily used in Boat Motors and Scooters

upload_2023-7-12_11-25-25.png

Deuces likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bosch plugs for O-T 356 Porsches were 'side-gapped'. Electrode ground was shorter, pointed to the side of the electrode.
    Would have run them in my flatty, but who'd know??? A framed pic on the firewall might be appropo...:D

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a bit of reference, I side gapped some NGKs in a hopped up 3cyl 2 stroke. Probably about a 165HP motor. All I could do is make back to back tests down the road. With the side gap plugs the thing went into notable over rev. I had to make a clutch adjustment to compensate. What's the point? In a small motor it made a difference I could feel. What I didn't like was that keeping it on the ragged edge wasn't sustainable when your 80 miles away and ready to burn shit up. Conversely I did it to my racer BBC. The use of side gaps in that one did nothing. Ran the exact same ET/MPH. I attribute the result to some fairly superior ignition to begin with. MSD vs old CDI 2 stroke. Back to these Leonard's, I think the kool factor makes the juice worth the squeeze.

Deuces likes this.
  25. I tried these "surface gap" plugs in my H-2 Kawasaki drag bike. They were supposed to be anti-fouling plugs, but I didn't have any fouling problems, I was looking for more power. They didn't make any more power.

After I lightened the magneto, it wouldn't fire them any more, so I ran regular plugs. It ran a little faster, because of the lighter rotor.

ngk-7447_mk_ml.jpg

theHIGHLANDER and Deuces like this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

So looking at the top of the plug, the wire was inserted in the hole under the cap and then the cap was tightened? My Dad had a Heath henderson 4 airplane conversion and I think thats where I saw those plugs. It was a Henderson 4 with the transmission sawed off and a prop hub fitted. Lippy

27. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

The little holes are for "Air Cooling"

upload_2023-7-13_17-3-30.png

Not my sign just a pic I gleaned off the net