Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Harbor frieght english wheel lower anvils. Help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henrye718, Nov 1, 2018.

1. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

2. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

I noticed that with the same reaction as well. All makes me wonder if HF won't have lower anvils available until June.

Ref my posts #'s 6&20 above: Been keeping an eye out at a couple different local HF's and on their website. Will post when I find anything new for sure.

Ed

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like they are on a slow boat from China......

Atwater Mike and RidgeRunner like this.
  4. SOOO true.
    This is one of those posts that should be read and turned directly into personal experience.
    Doing so would save an innumerable amount of agrivation that could be better used where it's needed.

If a guy has or thinks he has the ability to correct the HF E wheels he should just make his own, it's just as much work to make a good machine and anvils

5. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Might try http://www.metalmeet.com/. These guys are metal working maniacs that make their own wheels, tools etc.. lots of great info and people there just like the HAMB. Maybe one of them can steer you in the right direction. I have the HF wheel and anvils and so far have had good luck with them. Purchased them used for $200.00 bucks. I have no previous experience doing metal work but have been able to make some decent patch panels with it. Good luck.

6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I am now the "Crash-test-dummy". The new ship date is 03/04/19, the price is still $139.99. I ordered a set and will report back when they arrive.

alanp561 and saltflats like this.
  7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Got an email from Jegs that the anvils have shipped. The FedEx tracking number is not working, I'll take another look on Monday.

8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

The FedEx tracker says they are in transit, Moriarty, NM (I-40, east of Albuquerque). Should be here on Tuesday.

9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

EDIT on 3/6/2019. I have taken a lot of heat on this, rightly so. I should have handled it differently. JEGS reply posted below.

They arrived - Don't look much like the picture. I'm calling a bait and switch on this one

As shipped - Med res.jpg
    "As-machined", not the polished lower anvil shown on their web site. NOTE: The anvils are casually thrown in the box with ONE (1) sheet of wrapping paper.

Yes, they sort of fit in my Harbor Freight (HF) lower anvil holder. I started a new thread with pictures and commentary.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-new-6-piece-english-wheel-anvil-set.1142091/

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  10. Binkman

Binkman

I would not be happy with those but then again, it's Harbor Freight.
    They look nothing like the photo in the ad and the machine marks will transfer onto your work.

11. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Minor correction, JEGS, HF still does not have any listed (if my Google search was correct).

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Maybe I'm missing something : Yes, I can CERTAINLY get the frustration with the delivered items and the feeling of getting "ripped off"! In search of a solution to have a usable set of rollers : would it be possible to put a spindle through each of these, chuck them(individually, of course) in a lathe, & polish them to the desired finish with increasingly finer grades of emery cloth? I realize that this does not address the question of "not what was ordered!", but does produce something usable without waiting 6 months(or more?) only to open the next shipment & again find an unacceptable & unusable piece of junk that's probably worse than the one you just rejected!! I know it's not ideal, but it is a solution.

13. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

One process that doesn't even require a lathe:

Others on U Tube that do use a lathe.

Ed

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    cactus1 and alanp561 like this.
  14. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I've received a lot of heat on this, rightly so. I should have handled this differently. That said, this is what I just received from JEGS.

Russell,

Out of the 4 sets I pulled 3 of them were the polished finish. The other 2 were black. I talked to my buyer and it looks like we got a mixed shipment from our supplier as these are the last ones that are going to be available for some time.

I did set aside a polished box if you would like to exchange the set you have for the set pictured on the web. I can also add additional bubble wrap to the package so they are not moving around in the box.

Please let me know which you would prefer and I will get this completed for you.

Thank you.

James Flanary

15. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Congrats TrailerTrashToo for getting what you wanted! Thank you RidgeRunner for showing another way to "fix" the wheels: Options to an end are always good to know!!

RDR likes this.
  16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I received a FedEx return authorization (with printable shipping label). The black anvils are on their way back.

17. RamJet1

RamJet1

This is exactly what I went through, and when the polished anvils showed up, a few were cracked from the bore out to the finish surface. I sent those back and took the refund instead. I hope you fair better.

18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo