Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects No spark from coil, no start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mister E., May 4, 2018.

1. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Still haven't found any wheels as of yet.

What do I look for as an alternator to replace My generator?
    The parts store is willing to refund the entire purchase for the generator& volt regulator to afford Me the cost of the correct alternator.

Can someone please tell Me what alternator will work for My truck?
    Really appreciate it. Thanks

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

if you can make your own mount, just get a delco from a 70's 80's gm car or truck. common, cheap, and one wire hook up

Mister E. likes this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, use the internal regulator one from then. You will have to rewire a little to make it work, there are diagrams online if you search.

Mister E. likes this.
  4. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thank you. I have tried all I could to keep the generator & volt regulator to stay as original as I can but it just isn't meant to be.

I will get an alternator now (after refund of gen and VR) then will look into how to wire it up and hopefully that will end the power shortages that I have been experiencing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  5. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I measured the tires and wheels as suggested and I am looking around at other wheels for comparison.

However, it would be much easier if anyone can tell Me what 17.5 or 19.5 dually rims will fit this rig. I already tried a couple front wheels and found the inner rim cutting into the tie rod ends
    Now I have to replace at least one for sure and possibly both!

I am still looking for an alternator, as soon as am able will go to salvage yard to look at bracket/mounts for one and see if I can find a decent alternator to install.

Anyway, thanks all and have a blessed day!

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hey, I am sorry I was steering you wrong a while back on the nv transmissions, it is the 4500 that I was thinking of. Hope all is well.

Mister E. likes this.
  7. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hey, no worries.
    All is good here.

Just trying to locate wheels and tires still. I plan to shop around until I find something to work and replace these split rings with updated duallies.

Until then the old truck sits and I wait to tinker on it til I can do something.

Thanks. Hope all is well with you

s55mercury66 likes this.
  8. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hey folks, I finally got rid of the Volt Regulator & Generator.. Now I'm trying to install the alternator but not sure how and where the wires that went to the Voltage Regulator are supposed to be rerouted to.
    (Can anyone help?)

Think I already figured out the Generator wiring, cus the A & F are marked same way on alternator. Just got to splice pigtail and plug it in and run hot wire to battery.

(I think, at least thats what the YouTube videos I saw showed) correct Me if I am wrong though please.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help with this so that I don't fry any wiring and that I can get the battery to charge and hold charge.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  9. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Hoping to get just a little help with this alternator installation.

If anyone is able .. I been trying to Google a wire diagram to help but havent been having much luck.

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You should probably start a new thread for that.

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

See if the parts store can get that same alternator in the one wire version. All you need to do is connect it to the battery positive terminal with an 8 gauge wire. It will have a black plug where the two wire terminals are.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-A...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TVCTNRHR21J3FK0ZNAC6

As for your tire situation, talk to a tire shop. Let them measure the rims and tires to see what you can change to.

12. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Oh, ooops. Sorry, I thought I had to stick to this.

Still haven't learned My way around the site that much.
    I hope I didn't break the rules or what not.

And thanks for letting Me know.

I just want to get this sucker done.. Ugh.

13. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Can I just do the same with this alternator?

I've got 2 of the spare wheels off so I will got to a few tire shops and see what I can find.
    I been trying, but just not much luck around here.

Thanks for the response

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Oh no, it will just get more attention to your alt-gen conversion question. You can create as many threads as you want, especially helpful for you if you are asking new questions. Are you snowbirding down there in Fla, or planning on staying permamently?

15. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Came down to help her 82 yr old mother and to get out of the winter weather.

And ok. I hadn't thought of that.. (Making other thread to boost the attention.
    Thanks

16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

One wire alt is the way to go!

17. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

That's what I'm working on..
    Thanks everybody for helping in this thread.

You all have been much blessing.
    This post is now retired and I'll be focussing on My new post and add info and other posts as needed.

Thanks again for all the help.