Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Want dynamat don’t want to show it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radarsonwheels, Feb 16, 2019.

1. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

DC1BD10A-F93E-4417-93E7-C2CA59CE77D8.jpeg A0EC242B-6D45-4C4D-BA41-4A729DA7E32A.jpeg Howdy hamb!

I’ve gotten a lot of good advice here working on my 54 dodge pickup. I channeled the cab and made a new floor, shifter console, and firewall pockets for my 10” bigblock setback.

Now I’m getting ready to do wiring and fire the motor but I have this nagging want to do dynamat or equivalent. I already cut out rubber mat fot the floor areas to give it a utilitarian and finished look. Dynamat would be easy to hide under there but It would probably give a lot of heat and noise benifit on the firewall and trans tunnel.

How did you guys cover your stick on insulation? Molded carpet or rubber isn’t really an option and I don’t want anything that holds water since I’m chasing a couple leaks.

I can cover the console etc with blue tape and cut that up to make templates and sew up a cover in double stitched vinyl but I don’t know if that would look right- too fancy?

Thanks for any suggestions
    Radar

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. lilmann

lilmann

3. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, a Lizardskin type product would probably be better. It would definitely not let water get behind it and rust the firewall.

I've even wondered what sound and heat deadening properties a regular old Linex might have? Every city has a Linex installer.

4. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

That did cross my mind- smoothing the welds then maybe lizard skin or some kind of stuff out of a paint can. I never used any of that stuff before though. The hidden firewall above the toe boards and behind the dash I could just dynamat and paint the aluminum skin since it won’t see a lot of boots or eyeballs

5. My old 4 door was half & half. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Damn thats cool!

7. BJR

BJR

Why not spray it with heavy bedliner?

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I really like this. Very clean. I especially like the battery placement.

9. jimmy bruns

jimmy bruns
    from Chatsworth

Nothing beats dynamat.... i know its expensive and ugly but fuck man does it work! You could put some type of temporary floor mat over it or carpet.

10. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

DA0CF428-D42D-4278-9A6B-259D8C0EAD1E.jpeg 848A553B-D120-423B-802F-DAD4A4AD3F0A.jpeg Well either way I go will work better when it's not freezing out and I'm building this truck in my driveway. Kindly ignore the off topic shifter. I think it'll stay like this until warmer months. If I get my leaks sorted out before then- dynamat and carpet. If not lizard skin sound deadener followed by their ceramic insulation. Best of both worlds might be dynamat under the bench seat and rubber floor then Lizard Skin on the console.

HRP- what brand doesn't have flashy logo repeat patterns on it? Or did you just rub them off with acetone or something?