Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Muncie vs t-10 4 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clutchburner, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is it just me ? Has the price went down from not long ago. I think it's the OD's that's doing it if I'm correct.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lots of koolaid salesmen anymore!

Donuts & Peelouts and Johnny Gee like this.
  3. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Like the new Richmond super T10 munchies are available new as well M20/21/22 and there's a M25 now. And like mentioned here several times if your not sure of the condition you can easily pay as much as a new unit by time you have it repaired and include the purchase price. I was given a M20 from a friend and had to put $950 of parts into it. I have a really nice unit now for the price but the core was free.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

1975ish, bought a nearly new B/W Super T-10 for IIRC $250, could have been $200.
    Those were the days!

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looking at plym49's ad in the classifieds for his T-10, and the statements he has made on this thread, caused me to question exactly what he's trying to sell. Looking at the ID directly behind the side cover are the letters/numbers WE2612: The breakdown of that is W=Warner Gear, E=Month E is May, 6 is Day of Month=6th, 1 is year made and could be 1961 or 1971, final 2 is Shift=2nd Shift. It has a 10 spline input shaft, and probably has a 16 spline out shaft, not a 27 spline like I mentioned earlier (Muncies have a 27 spline output as do Saginaws; M-22 Muncie is 32 spline also) (neither of those shafts can be a Super T-10/Super T-10 has a 32 spline output shaft-TH400 size). Do a Google search for "ID Borg Warner T-10 Transmission IMAGES". Those are the facts. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    HemiDeuce and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  6. I paid $650 for my M20 back in 2014. I replaced the side cover and a few other parts, ran me like $190. And I still have the counter shaft leak at the front of the case. But it shifts well and is quiet.

7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Guys for answering my question. Have a blessed easter

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. models916

models916

Mid 63 was the swap from T10 to Muncie on the hi po chevys like 300/327 and the 409 engined cars.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I tend to (usually) not make my statements regarding GM production as "sunk in cement" because I wasn't there when these cars were new. I've always used the 63 cutoff for the general Chevrolet lineup but not sure if there was a consistant changeover.
    I do know some other GM mfg's used the T-10 thru the 65/66 production models.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  10. I was never able to destroy the T-10 in my Falcon but the 4 speed tranny in my 67 Chevelle couldn't take my abuse. HRP

11. The T10 was fine in lower-torque applications, but wouldn't take big-block power circa 1963; the over 400 inch motors had too much torque for them. Ford initially intended to use their toploader in everything when introduced in '64, but difficulty in getting the production line going as well as unexpected demand left them short on toploaders so T10s were used behind most of the small-block cars (and some handfuls of lower-power FE applications) with the toploader reserved for the hi-po FE motors. Some toploaders did get used in the small-block cars early on, but they're somewhat rare. By '67 the T10 was gone from Ford regular production, although it hung around as a 'service replacement' trans for a number of years.

The Muncie M20 was essentially a GM copy of the T10, with slightly improved strength (and better syncros). The M21 was the first upgrade, but GM finally had to build the M22 to have a trans that could take the output of any of their motors. Pontiac and Oldsmobile thought enough of the Ford design to use Ford's toploader three-speed as the 'base' trans in the early GTOs and 442s.

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

It's good to hear the different experiences everyone has had with the different 4 speed's. Looking back on service history changes false perception's.

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Actually 63s had both early T10 late M20 I remember looking in the window to see if they had the fat stick with reverse lockout or the skinny stick T10. The T10 first showed up behind engines less than 300 cu. in. Muncies over 400 cu.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bump for the new guys.

16. I bought a good super T-10 about 6 years ago for $700.00 and am very happy with it. I have also had M-21s behind a 327 and a 350hp 396, and wasn't able to break either of them using wide street tires. I would be happy with either tranny, but would lean toward the super T-10
    Bob

17. dodgedifferent2

dodgedifferent2

If your making power.
    Neither.

Swap to the mopar a833. It could handle the brute force of a 426 hemi. So it should be able to handle anything.

18. I bought a nice M20 with Hurst Competion Plus shifter from a guy who seemed to know his stuff for 700.00. It was more then I wanted to spend but it looks brand new inside and I know the shifters can be expensive. It is destine to go behind a 327 in my 34 Ford coupe.

I have a 57 F-100 SWB that I have dreams of building a mean FE for it, and a 4 speed. There is a 62-63 FORD T10 on my local CL for 400.00, but after reading this, that may not be the best trans for a powerful big block? Of course top loader Fords are 3 times the money...

Good thread

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just picked up a pro shifted top loader for my 409, bet that will stir the pot. :D

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just to add about believing some people, if you know what you are looking at , pull the cover(s) check internals and inspect the case for cracks, repairs and leaks . If you don't have previous experience get someone that does or buy trans, engines or rears as if you will have to repair or rebuild. No sense blowing a stack of bills on somebody's word if you don't know them.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ IN SPADES!
    Buying a used tranny is like looking into Pandora's box!

irishsteve likes this.
  22. Carnutpro

Carnutpro

[email protected]
    Do you still have the super t-10

23. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I've had Richmond Super T10's in my last 2 HotRods including my current ride (36 Coupe) and have had really good luck with them and a Hurst Comp Plus shifter. My only reservation now would be price. They have gotten Really Pricey! However nothing good is cheap. Gary