Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot rod powerplants, hot or stock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 14, 2019.

?

What kind of engine do you prefer?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2019.
  1. Bone stock- nice smooth idle

16 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Stock with a lumpy cam for that potato potato potato sound

85 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. Full on ridiculous, gotta run race fuel, kick it up in neutral at stoplights

25 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. [​IMG]
    A vote here in the ''ridiculous'' category.
    It runs on pump gas and I'm not afraid to let it all hang out.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    mkebaird, bowie, Stock Racer and 6 others like this.
  2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Not stock but yes has to be streetable. Full roller valvetrain and good size cam in her. My 68 Camaro has a 383 with all the good stuff, dart aluminum heads and big cam. Lots of grunt. Can't beat torque on a street motor.

IMG_6574.jpg IMG_6736.jpg

3. I like a lower RPM torque motor. Not stock, but not a high winder either. 5500 rpm is OK for me, because I like to drive everywhere with tall gears. I always end up over building everything (stroker crank, Brodix heads, H-beam rods, compression, blower, etc,) but a 260-270 cam for drive-ability and gas mileage on long trips. I like to just barely hear the cam at idle. ;)

Hombre likes this.
  4. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

My Y block has a 270 duration cam and is super driveable and sounds good at idle and idles at 600 rpm in gear and gets good mileage 20181116_145450.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I picked 'stock with a lumpy cam' only because I don't want to live with a full-race piece anymore. But with a set of aftermarket heads and the right cam you can make outstanding, reliable power these days while still staying within the 'trad style' category. It does help if you stick with three pedals, but shouldn't you do that anyway?.... :rolleyes:

mkebaird, impala4speed and Montana1 like this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

Need something between stock with lumpy cam and full on ridiculous. That's where mine falls.

Montana1 likes this.
  7. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

20170522_140427.jpg Because 20hp stock just won't cut it.

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Right now , my Kool Aid budget demands mine stay stock......for the time being.
    I want to get it back on the road and get some miles on it and sort the bugs out before I go a changing anything else. But a new cam is definitely on the list for later on, something with a good lope and low to mid range torque.

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

A tight budget coupled with a strong desire to drive lots of miles pretty well dictates a pretty much stock drive train. I can over come the disappointment of poor performance by adding cubic inches over what the "factory" offered. A case in point, my newest project originally came with a 230 CI 4 speed, its now saddled with an auto trans, but there is a stock 360 CI in front of that auto. Its going to be fun to drive a lot of miles.

In my younger years I made the pile of broken parts sacrifice to the God's of Speed, and made my share of donations to local law enforcement. Since I'm not smart enough to keep my right foot in check, I needed to find a way I could still enjoy driving. Stock drive trains help. Gene

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0583.JPG My Roadster is in the ridiculous carb dept, has high compression, ported and flowed heads . A quickchange rear with a locker. The 40 Pontiac has a stock engine with a 4 speed and a torsion Gleason center in the 9 inch rear. The stock engine is a 1963 Pontiac Super Duty 421 so they are both serious fun! So put me in any catagory you want but they both are long distance drivers.

mkebaird, BradinNC, Roothawg and 3 others like this.
  11. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Its easy to get 500 reliable ponies out of a mild 440 build......performance and manners.

12. Repman

Repman

Great work on the engines

13. Repman

Repman

nice looking motor

Fitnessguy likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's exactly what I am talking about.

15. Blown35

Blown35

My goal was to have both a driveable power plant that had that "hot" and "cool" factor - solved in two very different ways - my 35 3 Window with the blown flathead and the IMG00067-20110507-1342.jpg P9250459.JPG P9250459.JPG m9SNKPknQ9iwOm%zV1R9hw.jpg IMG_1169.JPG the 39 Coupe with the 1951 331 Cadillac (punched to 365cid). Both approaches work very well for me!

mgtstumpy, Hombre and exterminator like this.
  16. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

My 383 ('65) is being built now. It'll be a warmed up set up. Good clean up on the heads, bowl blend, port match and valve job. 230ish @50 on the cam, headers and free flowing intake and 750-800 carb. These days with decent gas being long extinct you can only take it so far and still be livable while driving in traffic. I love power but there's a compromise.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

I always liked sleepers wide LDA cams aluminum heads and intakes painted engine colors single 4 barrels and stock valve covers . Must be a hold over from street racing days. Must run on gas available at most stations

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Biggest factor in hot rodding is weather or not you are willing to drive the engine to its potential.

A lot of the guys around here with big power won't ever push them much past an idle for fear of breakage. I am much happier with a mild performance engine with anvil like reliability that I can beat like a rental..

RustyDogg and Crazy Steve like this.
  19. I try to keep my engines civil nowadays, I like to drive my cars a lot and on long runs.

A mild cam and enough get up and go to get out of the way but I will never win at the drag strip, I've owned a few big CI engines in the past and don't miss the expense of upkeep on those engines at all. HRP

20. Well, I prefer to have something a bit more than 'mild', but the ability to be able to thrash it unmercifully occasionally is a must-have. Isn't that the point of a Hot Rod? LOLOL...

21. exterminator

exterminator

Loved blowers since I was a kid and finally I have one on my 40 pickup. Have always loved the whine of a super charger! Yeahhhh:D

jnaki and chevy57dude like this.
  22. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Hot Rods have to be capable of going fast. You can accomplish that and still be traditional. Stock with a lumpy cam is being a poser.

Roothawg likes this.
  23. mgtstumpy and exterminator like this.
  24. exterminator

exterminator

oldfordtin and Largospeedshop like this.
  25. One of the greatest sounds in our mechanical world is a Small Block Chevrolet with 12 to 1 compression, a cam with 240-250 duration at 50. Nothing compares to its idle and music at 6000 RPM. Gosh I miss my drag racing days!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mohead1 likes this.
  26. Ian_81

Ian_81

Even street runners need a thumping cam and a good set of headers. If not you might as well drive the volvo around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  27. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't get it, what's out of hand?

Hombre likes this.
  28. I put sissy motors in everything I own. :rolleyes:

Roothawg likes this.
  29. Hombre

Hombre

Now there's a guy after my own heart. I keep telling the old lady that but she just won't listen anymore.