Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Premier Patina

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 8, 2019.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool 50 coupe, BLUSHU....

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. Thanks SM48, I like it too.
    A bit of a fixer upper.

3. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I tell everybody I'm not a very good painter but I'm pretty good at cut and buff. By the way jimmy six under $500 is probably pretty close on mine too. I was just trying to make a point.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. I see what's popular. My hot rod will be out of fashion, when I paint it. I'll have to hang out with the Goldchainers, I guess. That's OK. I never liked PBR, anyway...

jvo, The Human Wrench and WiredSpider like this.
  5. DRD57

DRD57

Sure,if you're painting a small car like a T roadster yourself in the garage with cheap materials you can do it for a few hundred bucks.

On the other end of the spectrum, drive a full size 50's or 60's car into a paint shop and want a top shelf job that includes stripping to bare metal and repairing decades of shoddy work and rust. Your $10k will be long gone before the job is even half way done.

And there are unlimited options between these two extremes.

You don't always get what you pay for but, rest assured you never get what you don't pay for.

6. Man. Don, this sums it up.
    "You don't always get what you pay for but, rest assured you never get what you don't pay for."

Surfmerc likes this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

What ever you do, don't use cheap paint.....in a couple of years (like it or not), your patina will start appearing!

31hotrodguy and Chili Phil like this.
  8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Yes your right about a full size car taking more material. But I'm talking about doing the work yourself not paying someone else. I agree high end material can cost $$$$. But I'm not talking about a show car. My car is a garage built driven HOT ROD. In a couple years it will have its own patina and if I want It can be painted again or touched up. Also please don't talk to me about repairing rust. This thing sat outside in a farmyard in Pa. for 23 years. This is what I started with. filename-1 (1).jpg

RustyDogg likes this.
  9. I imagine the tooling to do all that metal work wasn't free, that shit is expensive too.
    Welder & gas (not even near top of the line) $1200.00 Canadian.
    Compressor that will handle grinding as well as painting, (no where near top of the line) $1200.00-1400.00 Can.
    Tools to do all that work(hand tools, air tools, etc....) ?, surely not free.
    What, about $3400.00 Can. just to tool up.
    Way over the $500.00 mentioned.
    Not to mention not everyone who has a car has a garage or the skills required to do the body work & paint.
    The two examples of budget paint jobs are very nice.
    I noticed there are a few people on here that spend all their time judging others.
    Wasn't this thread for showing pics of cool patina'd cars?
    I'm glad that you have the abilities & tools to do the work yourselves.
    Believe me, that doesn't make you any better than those that don't

Twodees, RustyDogg, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  10. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Ok made your point. If you read my first post you will see I said I used a $65 gun and a sears compressor that I've had for years.Same with my torches and welder so I didn't count those. Hand tools had those too. Any air tools I got at Harbor Junk cus that was good enough. I have a 2 car garage and most nights moved the roadster over and parked my wifes car on the other side. I don't think I'm any better or even as good as anybody else. If you like patina cars that's fine just don't say you can't make them look pretty if you wanted to because of cost or any other excuse Here is a picture of my first car. I was 16 and it was built outside in my yard in Ohio. Only power tool was an electric drill.I took it to my neighbor to get some welding done. It was painted with a little diaphragm compressor. Wasn't very shinny but it was all one color. 46077528_2039478409405956_2626282315780718592_n.jpg

11. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man...that car woulda been way cool with a little patina.

Twodees, RustyDogg, BLAKE and 2 others like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have more respect for money than that...

jimgoetz and Ron Brown like this.
  13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

14. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Oh believe me it had plenty. This is the only picture I've got of it and it was the day I sold it. A tree had fallen on the front end and took out my frenched in 55 ford grill. I heard the guy who bought it put a 430 in. Lincoln in it but I never saw it again.

15. triggered by someones else's choice of ride = funny

16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

This is a nice ass car. I’d drive it proudly. It’s exactly what I was talking about a few pages back. It had been sitting neglected as you say but you didn’t let it REMAIN neglected. You’re a car guy - as I consider myself to be - so you did what you could to improve it’s appearance. Far too many wouldn’t have cleanedthe rust off with the SOS pads. They’d have crowed about it having “patina.”

Now it looks like an old car that has been cherished and kept as nice as a 60+ some year old, original (or mostly) car can be made to look. Big CONGRATS.

jimgoetz and Chili Phil like this.
  17. Thanks, Dan.........that's exactly how I feel. Getting the metallic blue top to shine again was a bitch! 48PONCHONSCOTTY.jpg

18. socal34

socal34

19. socal34

socal34

20. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

old cars look old. i love it

21. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

I'm happy about the patina "fad", if that's what it is. When I finally get my car on the road, it won't look out of place. If I waited until I had the $$$ to paint it, I'd never have it on the road. Some day I'll paint it to please my wife (and me), until then, I hope to enjoy driving it with the paint as-is. This is the "good" side . . .

20181118_165333.jpg

22. Not painting for this one other than spotting in repair

52E1B51E-A210-4CE2-8DF9-E1A40E974866.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  23. wvenfield

wvenfield

Not to interrupt the discussion, but I love this car. I really love the Pontiacs but this would be one non Pontiac I would love to own.

grimmfalcon138 likes this.
  24. ...wonder how this coupe got to Illinois?.
    ...and a couple others
    2018 meltdown 005.jpg 2018 meltdown 004.jpg 2018 meltdown 117.jpg

exterminator, 31hotrodguy and GuyW like this.
  25. GuyW

GuyW

^^^^^ I guess that Studie has some looong traction bars....

26. We were set up at an indoor car show last weekend. Lots of nice painted cars. A couple of rodent style rods were there. Mine was put in a rodent class due to old paint and showing it’s age. All rides were roped off except for mine and the other rodent. Kids had a great time sitting in the rodents and being able to touch them
    I love nice paint but the look but don’t touch signs suck and ruin the vibe of encouraging young folks to participate in this hobby.

jimgoetz, impala4speed and Ron Brown like this.
  27. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yup...gotsa soft spot for old mopars myself...

28. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Patina or not, well the choice is yours on my new ride. It's a '38 Zephyr sedan that has been resprayed in a few spots but has original paint in others. TONS of chips and dings, larger coin sized pieces have chipped off and in a spot there is missing paint about the size of a dollar. My intention is to retain the original and old resprayed paint touching up those chips and missing parts as best I can with some matched paint and buff it all out. Whether or not you consider this "patina" is your choice.
    20190213_175457.jpg

Now when I was younger I saw a Lincoln with the most awesome patina, way before it was cool. It seems they had taken a prewar Lincoln touring and painted it drab for military service and while it was a light coat after the war (great war) the car had been waxed and polished so much that the original paint was showing thru the olive drab.

anthony myrick and 31hotrodguy like this.
  29. 54harvester

54harvester

30. 54harvester

54harvester

Not painting this one. Original
    Paint on a Kansas farm truck

31hotrodguy likes this.