Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods painting single stage enamel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29moonshine, Feb 15, 2019.

1. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you clear coat single stage how long should you wait between the last coat of paint and the clear?

2. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

I have done it wet on wet but was using the same family of materials

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  3. I like 2 wait 4/5 hrs depending on temps, that way ya can sand any small nibs out with 800/100

4. I have mixed the clear as an integrating clear in the final coat- approx 35% clear/65% colour-all the same paint system

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Why do you want to clear it? If it’s just to get a better shine- you can color sand single stage and get excellent results.

6. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

yeah...thats kinda the difference betwen single and 2 stage right?

Jalopy Joker and jimgoetz like this.
  7. Single stage polished doesn’t have the same ‘plastic’ look to it that clear does- but you can get excellent depth and gloss with single stage- I guess it depends on the look you are after or if you are trying to bury graphics or other custom texture( lace, stripes,etc)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Allmotor and jimgoetz like this.
  8. 29moonshine

29moonshine

it is metallic so I can not sand it has some orange peel and a little trash [ which may buff out] . if I clear it then I can sand and buff

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  9. Read your tech sheets it will have a recoat window. By the sounds of it you have passed that window and would need to sand it to get any adhesion. This is why you don't spray single stage metallics.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  10. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

Are you using a catylist with your enamel or straight enamel.

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

You would want to sand it any way if imperfections are the reason. Other wise the clear will magnify the problems and no matter how much you sand and buff the clear you will see the orange peal and and other flaws. Many years ago you could color sand and buff metallic's but not any more. Metallic colors should always be base cleared. Larry

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  12. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I agree

13. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I am starting to belive this

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This 2k sealer had a 24 hr window. My buddy sealed, and went to mix the silver basecoat, and found he didn't have enough aluminum, so he ordered some and it was dropped off 12 hrs later. 4 months later, this started to happen. 20190215_182219.jpg All PPG products, just so you know, and no, I am not bashing them either.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Why would you put clear over single stage? I think if you wanted clear over you should have went with BC/CC. JMO Lippy

16. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have cleared a single stage metallic. It is PPG paint and the retailer said that it was not available as a bc/cc.

Neal