Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HAMBer engineers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King ford, Feb 14, 2019.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a customer whose father ran a junk yard, so he grew up screwing with cars. This guy got an ME degree and worked at a fairly large engineering office and one day we were at lunch with several others. He and I were talking gearhead stuff and one of the engineers said, "You guys can do all that stuff to your cars? Tom replied, "If you're an engineer and can't fix your own car, you ain't shit!" I almost choked on my food while laughing.

2. Brad333

Brad333

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade working in the Automotive market in Australia with everything from hot rods to kit cars to OEM stuff. Only 3 years out of uni. Learnt more on the tools welding and machining then I ever did at uni. Most engineers get a bad wrap because they don't understand the processes behind actually making something (which is true). I'd blame the uni's more then the engineers because they don't teach anything hands on or practical, it's all based on theory and numbers. They have never been exposed to a workshop environment at a trade level. In my opinion, both the theory and practical hands on experience is needed. Most Engineering students aren't as lucky I was growing up on the tools.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I started working part time at a junkyard the same month I started engineering school. Worked there 2 and a half years, then got a job doing menial work at a transmission shop, until I graduated and got a "real" job.

I learned at least as much working with old car parts for minimum wage, as I did going to school.

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Between pro sprint car racing and the GI bill, I got through college in 11 years.
    I never used all of that info except for designing, building and racing various types of cars.
    I am also a qualified steam and diesel railroad engineer.
    In my job in the 2 way radio industry, for several years, I was rated as an engineer but did not have a EE.

5. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Never finished my ME. I got close but wound up down in the Keys hunting lobster. So I basically know enough to be dangerous and can be considered dumb enough to try it at least once. I taught myself what I know of acad and this will be a future project as a pre war (great war) touring.
    0.jpg

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Architect here. I work a lot with structural engineers and learned a lot about beam theory in my efforts to second-guess engineers – which in my experience makes thrashing stuff out with them a lot more enjoyable for all involved in the process. A lot of car stuff can be reduced to bending, compression, tension, and/or torsion, and the math isn't hard once you get the hang of it.

I also spend a lot of time brainstorming with the people who are actually going to make stuff, which is if anything even more enjoyable.

7. I have a BS in Manufacturing Engineering, minor in Mechanical Engineering and an AAS in Automotive & Diesel Engineering. It comes in handy when farting around with cars. A couple of local shops call me in when they want to do something on a customer's car but want an opinion on strength, etc. No $$ but I can use a lift when I need to do something big on my car. I was reverse-engineering electric motor packages for one machine shop and that paid really well. My day to day work is with a large defense contractor, I'm in their Electronic Warfare sector.

8. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Mechanical engineer for a Tier 1 Automotive supplier for 34 years, right out of school. As others have said, I've forgot some of what I learned in school, but always thought the most important aspect of the job was common sense and critical thinking.

9. I started off as an aircraft electrical & instrument maintenance engineer (no degree, but a trade qualification), but now work in renewable energy research, telling mechanical engineers what can & can't be done with existing technology (well, not on this planet at least). I also know plenty of Mechanical Engineers who don't know how to check the oil level in their cars.
    Seriously.

King ford likes this.
  10. My brother has a degree in ME and works for a world renown mgf. plant in OH., but when he needed some practical engineering savy he always called me. One time he needed my advice so I told him what to do, and he went to work and applied it and got a $5000 bonus. I think I got a thank you. :confused::rolleyes:

11. flat 39

flat 39

Before I receiver my Degree in Mechanical Engineering, I was an apprentice tool and die maker. So I knew that the parts I designed could actually be made. I designed outdoor power equipment for 35 years and received 12 US patents.

12. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would think most engineers went into the field out of a love for machinery but it's just not the case. Maybe 3 out of 10 are car or airplane guys. The rest are either just good at math or realize that engineering is a good paying gig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    I'm a heavy duty repairman/welder,operating engineers...does that count?

King ford, VANDENPLAS and Clay Belt like this.
  14. F&J

F&J

I'd rather have you around when something actually needs doing. You move rail cars & locos that are "on the ground?" ...now that's impressive.. I've seen some videos on that, wow. "MEN vs. Big Iron" :cool:
    DSCN1958.JPG

Truckdoctor Andy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. Oilguy

Oilguy

Me to. 38 years in distribution. Design, installation, troubleshooting. FPS certified. Great career.

King ford and rockable like this.
  16. They don't make engineers like this one anymore!

upload_2019-2-15_12-27-3.png

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A lot of engineering students today are pressured into the field by parents and HS counselors, especially girls; there has been a tremendous push to increase the numbers of females in engineering fields. Many (most?) of these kids have little to no interest in machinery or field experience, they do this because they are told they have to by an education system bent on sending every kid to college, and dumping those that don't make it into college as helpless, doomed to exist on the fringes of society. This is what Mike Rowe talks about all the time.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Oh, I'm a IUOE member too, local 12. But have been on a withdrawal card for about 30 years. I spent many years in the field as a heavy equipment mechanic.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Operating Engineers work with earth moving equipment, bulldozers, wheel loaders, excavators, scrapers, graders, etc. But your sentiments are correct. These guys will get the job done.

20. F&J

F&J

Yes, I know that. My Dad was in the IUOE as a H.E. Mechanic like you were. ;)

Blues4U likes this.
  21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

King ford likes this.
  22. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I am a practicing MEchanical Engineer (and still not very good at it). Started out testing and modeling 767, 747, 777, A380, and A350 cargo handling equipment (And yes, I am sorry to see both the A380 and 747 production coming to an end). Then I transitioned to testing and validating ATV's and SxS's when the wife (also an ME) got a job in Wind Energy. Now I manage both the Testing Group and Service/Warranty Group for a Heavy Duty Truck Suspension Manufacturer.

I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

"Being an Engineer is alot like being Gay. Growing up you knew your different then the other kids, you just weren't sure how...."

23. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Currently working on a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering

24. One day, many years ago, the very first automotive engineer caught his wife in the sack with the first automotive mechanic. He swore that he would get revenge and promised him and his descendants a future of unforeseen aggravation, busted knuckles, and WTF scenarios, just before he shot him. His legacy lives on today.

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I work on stuff the ASE master's can't work on. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  26. Brad333

Brad333

Agree with this. A huge amount of civil engineering is used in automotive. My boss is a civil engineer by trade but has been in automotive for almost 25 years. A lot of areas can be reduced down to static applications (ie civil based knowledge) for simplification. Even though I’m a mechanical engineer by trade, I’d say I use more civil based knowledge. The mechanical side of things come into play with the more complex jobs ie non-linear analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ned Ludd likes this.
  27. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Retired electronic engineer here.
    Its sad that real hands on electronic engineering is becoming much more rare these days. Most that start out studying the theory end up in management positions, or writing software.

For me,mechanical engineering and a well equipped home workshop is just an extension of my home electronics lab. Its all really hard core hands on stuff, and very satisfying.

28. X-cpe

X-cpe

I had my eyes opened when I was on jury duty with an engineer. His first comment was " Why did the defense attorney even allow him to be on the jury? All engineers do all day is double and triple check minutia." When I brought up the fact that so many things seem to be designed back-asswards, he had two answers. (1) When the boss comes down with 10lbs. of shi-tuff and gives you a 5lb. box to put it in, what are you going to do if you want to keep your job? (2) When it comes to paying the freight who is he going to save money for, the company or the end customer? As long as repairs can be made (customer expense) design will favor company costs.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fluid power has been very good to me.

Blues4U likes this.
  30. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

That is probably true if you are an engineer in the public service, or working for a multinational corporation as one tiny individual in a huge "department".

But if you are THE design engineer in a very small company, you get to make some pretty important decisions and get things done your own way without too many battles. Its very satisfying to see large projects end up being a commercial success, with few or zero reliability problems afterwards.