Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Model A Intro & Build Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Escarcega, Sep 26, 2018.

1. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

2. Thanks
    Im just working on the body at the moment (its a roadster pickup) will post some picks up at some point!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

A SBF is a wrong choice for a first time build but telling him to try to shoehorn an FE into it as a first time build is good advice? Get real.....Bob

Just Gary likes this.
  4. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Could I get some details about how your swap went, engine and trans, pedals etc? Maybe contact you through PM or something? I'm just starting out on this '30 A.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

NO, it's not good advice. Except if he's determined to stick with a Ford in a Ford, and he's up to the challenge of doing what it takes, then the pay off with an FE will be far greater, IMO. But maybe not, since I wrote the post you quoted I've seen some Model A's with SBF engines that actually worked out well.

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Marty, it's your project so your choices.
    Nothing wrong with most engines to choose from.
    I run both and have no preferences, I just use them as they turn up.
    Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing this project progress.
    Model A's are the back bone of hot rodding, so without them where would we be???

03GMCSonoma likes this.
  7. Dirk35

Dirk35

On my 35 Ford PU (see post #12), my original plan was to use my 390 FE, but after I put it the frame for mock-up, I realized that I would have to put a bubble on each hood side because it is so wide. That's why I switched to the 302 SBF. Id imagine that if one was to try to put a Ford FE engine in a Model A, you would also have to bubble the hood side panels, but I don't know this for certain.

I can tell you that due to the different combinations of internally-vs-externally balanced SBFs, and the bazillion different pulley combinations, if you do use a SBF, be prepared to learn the difference in flywheel/flex plate and front balancer combinations required to make it work. And also be prepared to search the multitude of pulled combinations to make it work. Hence, the SBC in my '28 Sedan and '34 Sedan.

The '49 Ford pickup in my current avatar, I used a FE Ford Engine. For those of you that notice, yes it is a '49, I used '51 front clip.

8. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Hey Marty, good on you. Looks like a neat project. You have experience with building and fabricating so do not listen to the guys who say "dont put the SBF"
    I have seen many SBF Model A's and they look fine. The nay-sayers have not specifically explained why a SBF wont work. They state that it's not a good idea for a first build or they are ugly or it requires more fabrication. The only issue I thought of is the 302 has a double sump oil pan that may interfere with the x-member. Dude, build this the way you want and enjoy it. Have fun.

King ford likes this.
  9. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Double sump pans were used with Fox cars, starting in 1979. trucks had a slightly similar version. But everything prior was single sump. And you can use either on a block, as long as you use the correct pickup tube. Funny how having a distributor up against the firewall is not problem at all LOL Ford SB all the way!

King ford likes this.
  10. legion

legion

Ford in a Ford... perfection!

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A couple of my buddies built full fendered 28-29 roadsters with 289-302 engines. For one, the engine is 70 lbs lighter than a SBC, and only measures 17" across the heads. So what, if you recess the firewall, the dist is up front and easy to get to. The oil pan is behind the tie rod, and not a problem. I have owned and raced everything from Olds, Chrysler, Flatheads, and yes, small block Fords, you will not find a more reliable engine than a 289- 302 Ford, and they are easy to cool. From one Marty to another, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 289, 225 HP.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  12. Dirk35

Dirk35

I don't think anyone is saying to NOT use the SBF, I think we are just trying to give him a heads up of the issues he will have to address when using one.

Somewhere between the late 1970s-80's Ford Broncos had the rear sump oil pan that you'll need for the 302.

13. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Marty,
    Go for the 302 !
    In 1999 my son and I installed a Ford 289 in my 1929 A roadster. I used parts I had available (a complete 289 and C-4 trans ), rebuilt the engine(bored, new Pistons, rings, and trans and heads). I used a Bitchin firewall (they are still available but under a different name I think). Used frame mounted motor mounts and ford biscuits) and built a simple trans mount. This setup has provided a lot of fun since 1999 and has proved to be trouble free ! I also used a Mustang II rear end which is the right width and with 6 x 15" Ford wheels keeps the tires inside the rear fenders.
    Yes, I lost some interior room because of the firewall but I gained some interior room by moving the seat riser to the rear. I also used a 1965 Mustang steering box and a Pete and Jakes dropped beam axle / 4 bar setup.
    Go for it !!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app