Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. RDR

RDR

Little history on Granny Earp here(post 777)...He had a '34 Dodge pickup push car from his Texaco Station in Lebanon
    that went through a few owners and ended in parts behind Paul Smiths house for about 10 years.
    "Junkyard Jim" Creighton bought it and had Bill and Jerry Kruger put it back together...Anyway long story short it ended up back in Paul's life...I had Bo Knabs old '32 coupe pieces...We did a trade and here's the pickup today....

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Looks like a perfect little truck for central Oregon @RDR! It should handle the snow like a champ. What motor is the pickup running? Is that bed homemade or just customized a bit?

3. Alan Davis

Alan Davis

Harold Davis (guessing about 1950)
    One of his early roadsters, way before I was even a gleam in his eye. Most of the family photos were destroyed in a house fire in 1983, but not the family spirit. I consider myself fortunate to have grown up in what I believe to be a golden era. Reading through these threads brings back fond memories of some incredible racing and great friendships. Much appreciated Gary and Marty!
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  4. RDR

RDR

When Granny sold the truck it ran a 327/4 speed...It is now 283/auto...Actually that is the original Dodge bed, they were quite plain and utilitarian. The end gate has been built and is bolted in solid.
    She looks like she could plow snow, huh?

Let's KEEP this thread ALIVE, guys...
    RDR

5. Alan Davis

Alan Davis

Harold Davis 1934 Hemi Powered Ford Roadster
    The last project we did together, it took us 16 years to complete. Original Ford body and frame, modified to hold the Aluminum Headed Cross Ram 426 Hemi. Jim Meyer independent front end, Mopar posi rear. When we originally set the motor into the chassis it was on tall jackstands to make it easy to work on. We mounted the engine, custom oil pan, 727 trans, rear end, headers, body, firewall, and metal floor. When we lowered it off the jackstands the engine and trans were sitting 1" off the ground. Dooooohhh, throw away the custom designed headers, custom designed oil pan, modify the recessed firewall and trans tunnel. Not the only time we went backwards on the build, but if it was easy, hey everyone would put a Hemi in a 34. The engine was in the 700HP range so it was a fairly potent ride on the street, Dad wouldn't have it any other way. I have a lot of great memories of working together on the car, I will always cherish those. When Dad passed I bought the car from Mom but only kept it for a year. My Dad and I were very close, I never went outside my family to find my heroes. I owe everything I have and everything I've ever learned to my parents. Every time I drove the car I had tears running down my face, the car had to go. One of those decisions you regret later as time heals, but we all go on. I still have the memories and the knowledge and grateful for that.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Finn Jensen like this.
  6. Been watching this thread since its beginning. GREAT THREAD FOR US 'OREGONIANS'!! Does anyone remember this 60 Impala that ran out of Springfield with VANS AUTO TRUCK REPAIR sponsorship 61-63, then the Army got me. PIC_0375.jpg KLAN Racing Team.

chryslerfan55 and Oilguy like this.
  7. KEEP IT GOING!
    there must be hundreds of stories and pictures out there, as far as I know this is the ONLY place they are being recorded for history!
    I should go through the thread to try to fix the broken links, Photobucket really damaged the thing, almost beyond repair.
    Thanks to all that post!

8. Alan Davis

Alan Davis

Harold Davis
    McMinnville Dragstrip 1964
    Rose City Dodge A/Altered
    Algon Fuel Injected 426 Rancharger
    Pushbutton Torqueflite
    Built by Bob Gibson and Harold Davis
    Check out some of the innovation for 64 Altereds
    This car ran right on the National Record almost every weekend
    Little known fact: At the end of the 65 season Harold dumped a heavy load of Nitro in the car
    and then...…………. Dorothy drove it...…..one pass only

[​IMG]

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I remember that car. A couple buddies and I went to the illegal street races one weekend in the early 1960's. Don't remember if it was out Crow Road or out towards the Airport. When we got there, this car was parked in the right hand lane motor turned off, right at the starting line. The driver had the gall to dare anyone to roll up and race him;)

10. Was this the race team that raced out of Eugene? My grandfather recalls a KLAN racing team that had a 61 Impala and they came into Oakland, Oregon and racing my grandfather with his 61 Impala.

11. Diane Ireland at the Winternationals

[​IMG]

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Where did you find this photo Gary?

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The last I heard, Leo Gorowski (Master Transmission) and Hemi-Bird fame, had that Mustang, a rare Hypo 289 with automatic.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty
    Is this a different car than the one Bill drove?

15. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Yep...

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

As I remember, Diane ran this one in C/SA, and in 1965 Bill was still running the Thunderbolt in A/MP. For 1966, Bill got the A/FX Mustang that Gas Rhonda raced the prior year, it had an injected High Riser and was orange, The Trojan Horse. He also ran it in white as the Klein Bird.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I looked this up once and didn't find anything on it, even Gary Reynolds photo waaay back just shows a red X.
    Anyone know anything about it?

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

There was a picture of it loosing a rear wheel, as it sheared off the lug studs.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

20. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Thinking that the pic of Diane is from the world finals in Oklahoma. The shadowing in the car reminds me of her crazy black hair.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  21. Alan Davis

Alan Davis

I thought I would post this link to a video from Pacific Raceways. A lot of neat footage here and I'm sure Gary and Marty will recognize some of the racers. There's a shot of Goodell's Car in this. I talked to him about a year before he passed, my parents were friends with him, miss him.

Kan Kustom, Oilguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. COOL STUFF!
    This video really brought back memories of how exciting drag racing was for me as a teenager waaaaay back then.
    I recall ALL these cars vividly, the color, the noise, smoke and thunder.
    Really worth watching.

Kan Kustom and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. I'll look for more pics of Irelands Klein Bird.
    There are MANY out there, Google just SUCKS these days and gets worse every day!
    Wish they'd stop trying to be a Community College save the world company and concentrate on being a decent search engine again! THAT will be the day.
    By the way, check out Wikipedia's "Gassers" entry for a riot of misinformation. They list the Klein Bird as a gasser.....running in A/Modied production. JEEESH!
    Just don;t get the concept eh? what tripe!
    Many of my pics in this thread have been held hostage by Photobucket, hence the red X.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Great video Alan.
    Saw many familiar cars, the Cruisader F/C was Kenneys old car, repainted of course, I saw it on the transporter about 1968 or 69 at one of our local gas stations, fueling up for a race I'm sure. Was the first real drag car I saw as a 15 year old.
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  25. Hey man!
    Freezing up there>
    It was in the 30's here in Van Nuys at night!
    Paid Photobucket the ransom, can somebody check and see if my photos show?

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jack Coonrod @ Woodburn, behind is Wayne Trowbridge climbing into his 450" Packard powered Bantam, with the Scotty's Drive IN (Brewer and Maki) Anglia alongside. 2012-07-23 134026.jpg

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey, it's Oregon, it's wet!
    But, it's not Chicago.

Gary Reynolds and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. earlymopar

earlymopar

I saw her run many times @ McMinnville in this car while Bill had the Trojan Horse 427 car. (husband and wife factory racing at its best!). Anyone remember Bill doing his burnouts and then hitting the line lock and the front end wobbling? Great stuff!

- EM

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've always said I wish I had been born a few years earlier, I never did see Bills' cars run.

One of our HAMB brothers north of the border sent me some shots of Bill at ? Van Isle ? B.C. in the early 70's.
    maverick4.jpg

30. earlymopar

earlymopar

If this has been posted before, pardon me. I was just referred to this video by my neighbor (Ron Fulham) whose father took the 8mm movie in 1962. My neighbor was 10 years old at the time and his Boy Scout troop was selling hotdogs at the track that day. My brothers, dad and me were likely there on the same day (I was also 10 year old). I need to look through the spectator cars for a 59' Plymouth Suburban wagon (should be easy to spot!).

-EM