Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Turn signals now obsolete?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '34 Terraplane, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe they are mandatory "deleted" in any car bought in "Little Saigon" and driven it South Little Saigon where I live. Those bump steps from Weather Tech are very popular with my buddies.
    I believe they are forgotten because the drive cannot hold the phone, steering wheel, and turn signal at the same time.:p

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  2. Dirk35

Dirk35

Blue One, I think this it the first time I've read something you posted which I don't agree with. I had a similar conservation with my daughter when I was teaching her to drive. My response to her was that it keeps you in the habit of always using it, always.

XXL__, loudbang and oliver westlund like this.
  3. It has been my experience in Florida that the blinkers never get turned off...
    Chappy

wraymen and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Blue One writes lots of posts that I don't agree with...:D

XXL__, wraymen and Nostrebor like this.
  5. Using your turn signals is a sign of weakness.

6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend (of 60 years) is always complaining about people not using their turn signals. Always. One day we were driving somewhere in Omaha, NE and he whined again about some scofflaw not using their signals. I asked him about stopping at stop signs since he had rolled through the last three. He immediately changed the subject but still bitches about people not using their signals:)

KoolKat-57, 49ratfink and The37Kid like this.
  7. indyjps

indyjps

I always used signals until I moved to Chicagoland area. Turn on a signal to change lanes and the guy next to you floors it to block you.
    Now its slide back an forth between lanes. I have to remember my manners and act like a human being when I drive downstate.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. redo32

redo32

Come with me to ancient times, 1965 , exactly 70 years plus 2 weeks ago, I showed up on a blustery gray March day to take my drivers test in the family bus, a baby blue '59 Plymouth station wagon. The tester said check your vehicle, stop lights, mirrors and turn signals. The left signal didn't work, he said " We can do the test if you want to use hand signals". Off we went, I was proud of handling the adverse situation and correctly signaled for every left turn. When we returned to the DMV office he looked over his clipboard and said "You passed with a 95. I deducted points for driving with one hand." Hell it was cold and I was sitting on my left hand trying to warm up my fingers!

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's a good habit to get into regardless as an inexperienced driver. Good habits create safe drivers and you were right to teach your daughter that way. I learned that way myself and I do use my signals as intended.

What I was talking about was just being lazy, and by that point I knew how to get under my ex's skin and that was one way ;) :D:D Among others. As I said, she's my ex for a reason, of course she'd probably tell you the same thing. :D
    Why are some divorces expensive ? Because they're worth it :D

Hey Mike , you're entitled to your opinion but you know what they say about those :D:D:D

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The youngsters should find this entertaining.
    Ever hear of a semaphore, how about trafficator, many Euro cars used them.
    The first ones I ever saw was on a 1948 Austin I bought when I was still in high school, had plans to build a drag car, but that never happened.

Here are a few.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How about this one!
    [​IMG]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trafficators

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I use hand signals in my heap but nobody knows what that means anymore. I either get a wave back or a high five.

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

DDDenny : Today's generation wouldn't understand unless you removed the thumb & index, ring, & 'pinkie' fingers on the signaling device in your last picture!! LOL!!

13. Years ago I was living in a little town in North Carolina. I noticed that most people not only used their turn signals but the people behind the guy making the turn used them also. This was to let the guy behind them in on the up coming turn. Never saw this anywhere else in my travels.

14. Bob, down here there are stretches of road with very few street lights- the locals driving TOWARDS you will leave their brights on and give you finger salutes or swerve at you if you flash of your brights...

15. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

you should be in the habit of always using your signals. the country road scenario should be when you make a decision to not use it, i usually forget and use it anyway....this all started with them dern moonshiners...they stopped signaling turns while runnin from the coppers then everybody wanted to be cool too....

16. I do that also in my F 250. It has the big chrome bumper and a Reese hitch hanging below that. Whatever hits it is going to be in bad shape. Even worse when I get out and start ranting then take a dive to the pavement grabbing my chest.

Little old blue haired ladies Chappy?:rolleyes: How have you been?

17. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

After reading 1-1/2 pages most of you guys should have signed off with, “Hey you kids get the hell off my lawn!” Lol

In metropolitan L.A. very few people use their signals OR they tap them and literally get one “blink” before being in the next lane. Having commuted in L.A. traffic my entire life I can say with some authority there are people who will SPEED UP if you signal to not allow you to get in front of them!

For those of you that say something to someone about not using their signal, are actually SURPRISED in any way when they gir you the one finger salute? Life’s too short to deal with them and their negativity. I only get one life, ain’t got no time for cynics and negative people.

18. Exactly,...
    I am doing OK, recovering from abdominal surgery in early Jan. Almost back to 100%. Really put me behind on the list of stuff I wanted to get done to the car before spring. I want to drive it the 2 hours to Jalopyrama at the end of April. It will be the longest trip I have taken in it (by about double).
    How are things on your end? I have been watching your posts in the Shoebox group.
    Chappy

19. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Our town center is mostly a big rotary with 7 yes 7 exits, 6 which go off at a angle, #7 is a hard right directly off the circle, no one and I mean no one signals that rt turn. If the powers to be were to hide a cop there I'm sure my Tax bill would be a lot lower. It's mind boggling that a person is to lazy to flip a switch 2" from his hand and to top it off the circle is 2 lanes and many,many drivers turn right from the left(inside) lane cutting right in front of the person making the safe rt turn.
    I've given up on most of the human race. Ralphie

20. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Here in California, the CHP officers never use turn signals, They dart across several lanes any time the want.

21. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m pretty anal about using my turn signals. People around here drive like they had 9 lifes. 2,5 ton SUVs , 400 hp+ and no speed limit on the Autobahn. You better use your signals or you may be dead. There was a case on the media lately, a COE of well known company had hit a small car. He was going well over 160 mph on the Autobahn ( no speed limit) when a lady with two little kids in the backseat changed into the fast lane to pass a Semi truck at about 75 MPH. She supposedly had not used her turn signals.( thats what the CEO said) The impact was at about 120 mph. The COE had a big Audi SUV , the lady a little old Toyota Starlet. Needless to say , the lady and her little kids were dead immediately. The COE only had minor injuries. The case was closed because he was going 160 legally and had no chance to decelerate in time to avoid the impact... I think it wouldn´t be nice to be hit by a Porsche ;Benz oder anything going almost 200 mph trying to pass a truck on the Autobahn in one of my old cars...I´d rather have speed limits here.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  22. redo32

redo32

I kept reading COE as "cab over engine" and thought Wow 160mph. He means CEO.

Baumi and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. I just found a button on my wife's DD that puts all the indicators on at the same time-That's handy, I will just turn it on , and leave it on whenever I have to drive it. (What do they use for "hazard flashers" in the U.S.?)

49ratfink likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I loved the ones on old big trucks; the ones that pointed, had round orange reflectors, and were about 2 feet long..

25. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

That's their donut hand. :D

26. mopacltd

mopacltd

Bad COP, NO donuts!

27. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

My 13 ford pickup has that lane change blinker thing and blinks 3 times. It is handy.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some people don't use their turn-signals?
    No! Tell me it's not true! What are we ever to do?!?!?
    Just give idiots plenty of room to be idiots.

'34 Terraplane likes this.
  29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Gary,
    I didn't realize that 1913 Model Ts had blinker kerosene lamps.

ROADSTER1927 likes this.
  30. David Chandler

David Chandler

Try to understand, the person behind you is too busy texting, and putting on makeup to be bothered by such things. I saw a cop texting the other day too. So like brake lights, they are obsolete. People don't pay attention to them at all. That's why the guy who was 200 yards behind you, suddenly is having a panic attack, because you used your brakes and turn signal. Those self driving cars will simply text each other, when to stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.