Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop safety! (Safety last?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenhills1952, Feb 13, 2019.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

A few thoughts. I just ordered a couple carbon monoxide detectors.
    In younger days I never thought about safety (my scars prove it), older I get I do. I have lots of fire extinguishers around. Maybe someone can correct me on this but when in business a guy used to come around and I'd pay for inspection and a "re-charge". Watching the guy he would take them outside and just use a small compressor to be sure gauge was at full mark...now I do them myself. Is that ok?
    I'm thinking about making maybe a metal cabinet for the 10-15 gas cans. Anyone do that?
    My thought is AFTER any accident (fire, losing an eye or finger, COPD) I would gladly have paid $1000 for it not to have happened!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Rich S. and stillrunners like this.
  2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Why so many gas cans? Fuel today goes bad so fast I would not keep much gas around unless I knew it was being used within 30 days, and I keep my gas cans out of the garage, put them in a shed instead. A metal fire proof container for flammable items is a good idea.

reagen likes this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Store all of the flammable containers outside that you can, gas cylinders too.

Rich S. likes this.
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Also, on the dry powder fire extinguishers, turn them upside down and give 'em a shake. The powder likes to settle in them, and we do this monthly.

5. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Thanks.
    I do use a lot of fuel, mowers, tractors, etc. So usually some cans are empty.
    Now they're on gravel in a separate shed...but within a few feet of wood.
    I'll figure something out.

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Remember, gasoline fumes will settle to the lowest point, so some ventilation at the floor level will let those fumes out. It is also best to keep electricity completely out of those types of storage areas, especially switches, unless the equipment is rated for hazardous areas. If so, make sure the seals are in good shape, if you have to open them up for repair or maintenance, like changing a light bulb for instance.

belair likes this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

The fire extinguisher guy was probably weighing your extinguisher, cleaning off the gauge and checking that the pressure was still in the safe zone, and cleaning the outside of the cylinder off with the air. I don't think you can pressurize the dry chemical cylinder without discharging it first, and I doubt he did that. The old water extinguishers you could add air pressure to, but you can't to the dry chem ones. I think once the pressure drops below the safe zone, they need to replace the seals in the cylinder's valve.
    The powder kind they also turn bottom side up, and hit the bottom with a rubber mallet to loosen the powder.
    If you have a fire inspection, all your fire extinguishers need to be inspected every year, and "tested" every 3 or 5 years, the fire inspector likes to see the new tags the fire extinguisher companies put on them. I just got to where I would buy a new extinguisher every 3-5 years, it was cheaper the paying the company for their services.

COPD is a result of contaminated air, you probably need more then just a carbon monoxide tester to protect yourself from that. Welders, grinders and cut off wheels ruin air quality really fast, ventilation and a make up air system would help that.

While your at it, don't forget good gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, steel toe boots, and proper work cloths for the environment you are working in.
    Safety isn't cheap! Gene

loudbang likes this.
  8. Good post.....we all should have those carbon monoxide detectors in the shop and what ever else that would help us protect us and our cherished ones.........

9. A Boner

A Boner

Safety is 3rd....horsepower is #1 and torque is #2!

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

PPE is always your friend . I always , install the gas hot water heater and furnace about the floor in a garage environment . Smoke dector , CO2 dector , and O2 indicator in the paint booth are a good idea . GFI outlet or breaker is are a must . A security system , is a must with camera to record activity . Never allow customers in the shop . It is a different world today than what we grew up in . There are people that will live high and free from your insurance company payout for damages . I say this because I had a bud filling a motorcycle tire , that popped , there was a lady with a young child in the shop . Needless to say , he had hearing damages , from that moment on . That were straightened out by a life time medical coverage payment from the insurance company . Keep everyone as an asset and not a liability to your life .

Fordors and loudbang like this.
  11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Actually torque is first since horsepower by definition is determined from torque,

Rich S. and belair like this.
  12. Dirk35

Dirk35

In the military, we are required to keep our POL (Petroleum, Oil, Lubricants) in a separate Hazmat storage building similar to this one posted. Ours has a "blast-out panel" on the side that is designed to blow off in the event of an explosion.

In the motor pool, we are required to keep all small solvents and paints in a bright yellow Hazmat Locker. Ive been wanting to get something similar for my garage, but for now, my paint products and POL are just on their own shelf in the corner of the garage.

Attached Files:

13. Dry chemical should not be topped off with an air compressor. Moisture will cause the powder to ball up.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

This is my home garage. I'm tossing ideas around, maybe a small cinder block shed, cement floor, just 6x6x6...metal roof and door...something not expensive.

15. A Boner

A Boner

Out west here, horsepower is #1!

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Filled many fire extinguishers on the dept. We had various kinds, but the dry powder type were pressurized with nitrogen. To check/service one, check to see if the pressure is in the correct range and turn the extinguisher up side down and tap/shake it until all the powder has fallen. You have to kinda feel/guess when all the powder has fallen. Iirc you had to do the ones in buildings once a year. We did the ones on the trucks once a month, due to the vibration. If there is any discharge of powder you have to relieve the pressure and clean the seat before pressurizing it again. Water extinguishers just use water and air.

Bones

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. mickeyc

mickeyc

P.P.E. (personal protective equipment) is a term that all modern construction, or maintenance workers are familiar with. How so you may ask? Get observed with
    out using it properly and you will be gone! Usually with
    little or no warning. I enjoy watching some of the builders on the Discovery or Motor trend channels.
    Invariably some talented craftsman will be tolling away
    with out the proper gear. Often with the shop owner
    watching or even helping them along. Particularly with
    rotating spark generating tools! It sets a terrible example for anyone watching who may contemplate
    giving this type of endeavor a whirl. I wonder why their insurance carriers don't realize these issues. I do use P.P.E. at my own small fab shop and insist that anyone
    working with me do so as well. My neighbors think I am a pest when I prompt them about careless habits
    while doing home or automotive maintenance. Things
    like weed wacker use in shorts or open toe shoes. ladder use, which causes a vast amount of injuries both
    on the job as well as at home. I did not come to this mind set casually. I have seen safety go from virtually
    non existing to the rigid standards of the modern era.
    I was saved from a serious injury myself by a safety
    harness after being knocked off a ladder at a high elevation. I am responsible for the safety of all the
    guys in my crew and am relentless in my determination
    to send them home in the same condition they come to
    work in, just a little more tired and a bit more money
    in the kitty. Sorry to prattle on just trying to encourage
    folks to take care of their well being, regardless of where one may be working.

18. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

No need to be "sorry to prattle on". From my experiences and observations over the years the message can't be emphasized enough. One of my hardest jobs as foreman was having to call a significant other and figure out how to tell them without upsetting them any more than necessary that their loved one was in the hospital and wouldn't be coming home for awhile following an accident on the job. Fortunately I could always reassure them they'd make it eventually, I always dreaded the time when I might not be able to.

19. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Grandad told me when I was a kid he was in shop class (early 1900s) when a guy cut end of his finger off on a band saw.
    After bandaging it up, the school sent their insurance guy around who asked him how it happened...so he flips the saw on, cutting end of another off!

20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

buy non ethanol premium gas...lasts a very long time

21. Only the bottom 24" of a garage is considered a 'hazardous area', so anything 24" above floor level doesn't have to be anything special. Two exceptions; if you have any raceway below that, it has to be sealed to prevent transfer of fumes to 'unclassified areas', and second, under-car pits, which are a whole 'nother can of worms.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. X-cpe

X-cpe

Safety has to become part and parcel of your being. The example I use in class is when you were little your mother held your hand and said "Look both ways before you cross the street." Now you're when approaching the curb you've looked both ways before you even got there and you didn't even think about doing it.

Other than using all your P.P.E. safety has three basics: (1) Be able to recognize the hazards that exist.
    (2) Eliminate all the hazards you can. (3) Have a plan for when something goes wrong.

RidgeRunner likes this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My High School woodworking teacher, Mr. Matthews, would always tell us “ safety first” holding his right hand up with three fingers cut off.

Bones