Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 27 T steel body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sbf001, Feb 13, 2019.

1. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

Just picked up my new project, steel 1927 t roadster body. It needs typical subframe work but I got the body for a very fair price. Here’s a few pics.

Attached Files:

Fread, bct, brEad and 8 others like this.
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Not sure that I am a fan of the trunk lid, but the rest looks pretty darn good.
    Keep posting your progress...

3. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

Going to put a stock trunk lid back on it. There’s a homemade trunk on there now.

4. evintho

evintho

I knew it'd fit!

[​IMG]

Seriously though, that looks to be in pretty good condition! Also, decent turtle decks are very hard to come by. You did good! I gotta ask.....how much?

5. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Deck lid is from a swamp cooler Screenshot_20190213-235037_Chrome.jpg

6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Is that an HHR that you have your roadster in??

7. Looks like a Caravan....good to know a roadster body will fit..., now I just need to find one

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

slv63 likes this.
  8. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

YA DID GOOD !
    What are your plans ?

9. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

I got it for $1200 pretty hard to find a decent body in the east coast

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's a good price.

11. I saw that one advertised somewhere just the other day. Glad someone here saved it
    Chappy

12. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

I have a frame already to go, I started with a fiberglass roadster but found this body so I’ll swap it over to my frame. Boxed A frame mild Z, Pete and jake ladder bars, s10 rearend, Kholer drop axel, 40s ford brakes.

Attached Files:

bct, brEad, Squablow and 1 other person like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project, I'll be following it. Bob

14. evintho

evintho

That's a really good price, especially on the east coast! I'll be watching this one!

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

From these pictures you can understand why the is not much room in a T.

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like that your wife was cool with it in the back of her mini-van. :p I was going to build a '27 until I found my '34 here on the HAMB classifieds, so, I'm a little bit envious.

brEad likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a great start, great price too. The trunklid is kinda neat, at least could be a good wall hanger.

18. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Great find for sure. I just got one myself. Yours is better though! :oops:

19. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

Body needs the typical patch panels but it should be a fun build. Doors are in great shape

20. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

Who makes the best patch panels for model T roadster? Also is there any places that makes model T sub rails

21. evintho

evintho

Howell's is about the only one who makes patch panels. Don't order directly from Howell's, order through one of their vendors, Mac's, Ebay, etc. Surprisingly, their lower bun panels are quite good.

[​IMG]

However, their rear lower 1/4 panel patches were horrific! Not even close. Had to slice and dice the crap outta 'em to get them to fit.
    https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_...e-deck-rear-corner-patch-panels-roadster.html

Another option is old washing machines. The 'free' section of CL is full of 'em. I have 6 or 7 patch panels on mine that are made from washing machine sheet metal. Lots of large flat sections and just the right gauge too!

[​IMG]

Also, subrails are unnecessary. You already have a custom frame, just bolt the body panels to your frame.

22. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

It appears in your photos that the lower few inches of the body needs some reconstruction. I don' know how anal you are about getting the lines visually close to correct. If you are going to make your own patch panels, be wary of using an FRP (fiberglass) body as a guide, as virtually all of them are 20190216_205041.jpg wrong in the lower, back area on the main body (cockpit). I thought I'd pass this observation along for your consideration:

The rounded body curvature of the original T becomes horizontal at the very bottom of the body, just above the frame rail in side view.

On most (if not all!) FRP bodies, this contour becomes horizontal in line with the bottom of the door.

I have wondered for years what originally caused this anomaly. Did the first FRP body supplier pull a mold off a poorly reconstructed body, and then all subsequent manufacturers just buy a body from Mfr #1 to make their molds?!?

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool beans. Makes me wish my wife hadn't wrecked our Grand Caravan as that was one handy rig and had all wheel drive.
    That body is one hell of a lot better than the one I have out back. It's hacked beyond belief.

24. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

I will mostly likely buy patch panels, I’m not looking for a show car but something that I can drive and will still look nice

25. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

That’s a better body than what I started with. Should be an easy build.

26. sbf001

sbf001
    from New York

cowl and doors are in great shape just everything in the back needs attention

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nice body, good luck with the build.
    One thing, don’t listen to the know nothing above who said that you don’t need sub rails, you most definitely do as they are the structural base of your body and align and tie the body together so that you can mount it to the frame properly using the body mounts that just happen to be attached to....wait for it.... the sub rails ! ! :D