Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Best engine prep and paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sumter DeGaris, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Sumter DeGaris

Sumter DeGaris

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
    About to paint the engine for my 57 Chevy project car. Trying to do it once by doing it right the first time.
    Would like to get any input and advice on engine and tranny prep and painting. Been doing some reading online and there are so many products like POR-15 that promise the perfect engine prep and paint results.
    But was wondering what engine prep chemicals really work well and what paint (type, brand) really works and holds up? Hearing from the voices of experience would mean a lot.
    I have a friend who owns a body shop who will be painting the engine. Not using rattle cans.
    On a budget so saving money means I am in charge of having the engine cleaned before it get to him. Engine is more greasy than rusty. New oil pan and having seals around value covers, timing cover and tranny being replaced. Does anything else need to be replaced?

Not sure if it matters but the engine is an early Chevy 350 with a T-350 tranny. Will have aluminum valve covers and breather that will be accented with the same color paint as the engine block.

Would the aluminum need to be prepped and painted differently than the steel?

Would appreciate any advice on procedures and paint.

Thank you.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

40 + year painter here, I use epoxy primer and urathane enamel colors. 20180128_171759.jpg

3. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

I've used the original Brakleen (not the green "compliant" version) as a basic starting point for decades. I apply it liberally and use nylon brushes and shop towels to get the worst of it. My son turned me onto a product called Rostoff, made by Wurth. I have been using this as a finishing cleaner for some time now. Works great and leaves an oil free finish in its wake.

4. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

Oh...and as Oldioron has suggested, epoxy/urethane enamels hold up quite nicely, provided you don't inundate them too heavily with heat and chemicals. Better than rattle can, by far, though.